Fixture Fixture Change - Playing Sydney in Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

The reason why they chose our stadium is because it’s a well known fact we get more money from 22,000 attending than 75,000 at the G. Shit clubs like St Kilda should be playing a few games there yearly to stay afloat.

Pretty sure we were asked where we wanted to play our home games when we were hubbing last year. No issue with Sydney choosing Geelong, particularly when it's nothing like the SCG dimension wise

The reason why they chose our stadium is because it’s a well known fact we get more money from 22,000 attending than 75,000 at the G. sh*t clubs like St Kilda should be playing a few games there yearly to stay afloat.
How many do you expect next Sunday?

How many do you expect next Sunday?
I’m unsure of the limitations placed on the crowd capacity but I wouldn’t be shocked to see it half full. You’re the biggest club in the land (thank **** for that) & Sydney spent over 100 years in Victoria.

I’m unsure of the limitations placed on the crowd capacity but I wouldn’t be shocked to see it half full. You’re the biggest club in the land (thank fu** for that) & Sydney spent over 100 years in Victoria.

West Coast is a very popular club down on the Bellarine Peninsula, I understand ;)

They’re apparently hoping capacity will be lifted to 75 or 85 per cent by next weekend.

There will be a decent crowd, plenty of Geelong supporters and neutrals from regional Victoria will come down for a look.

Swans always pull good crowds in Vic due to South Melb connection too.

I live in Melbourne and am driving down for the Cats v Bombers game on Friday, if it wasn’t for that game I’d definitely head along on Sunday.

Saturday
Melbourne v GWS at MCG
Hawthorn v Port Adelaide at Marvel

Sunday
Collingwood v St Kilda at MCG
Bulldogs v North at Marvel

Which of those games should be moved to a non-Melbourne venue so the handful of remaining South Melbourne supporters get a surprise home game?
All of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s also 50 states in the USA and 14 ounces in a pound, but I’m not sure what relevance any of that has to the argument.

The Sydney Swans, the home side in this fixture, are currently based in Victoria so that rules out the other states and territories.
Ummmm...
no there isn't.

There's 16 ounces in a pound, 14 pounds in a stone.

Edit - as hinted by Ziad

There’s also 50 states in the USA and 14 ounces in a pound, but I’m not sure what relevance any of that has to the argument.

The Sydney Swans, the home side in this fixture, are currently based in Victoria so that rules out the other states and territories.

The round can’t be played midweek because that affects the breaks between the previous and the next round. At best, you could play it on the Monday. But given you’re complaining about Melbourne-based South Melbourne fans not being able to attend in Geelong, I don’t see how playing the game on a weeknight makes things any better for them.

The game has been fixtured at one of the three regular AFL venues in the state, on one of the usual days for football. The only of those venues that was available on either of those days.

What exactly is the issue with that? Apart from the distance by road between the airport and the ground being a little longer than you’d like.
Manuka Oval is available and AFL matches have been played in Canberra since 1998. There are no COVID-19 restrictions in Canberra and there are direct flights from Perth to Canberra and Sydney/Melbourne to Canberra.

I have yet to meet an athlete yet who given the option of walking/driving 20 minutes to a venue on match day against a 90-minute bus ride, would prefer the latter option.

Manuka Oval is available and AFL matches have been played in Canberra since 1998. There are no COVID-19 restrictions in Canberra and there are direct flights from Perth to Canberra and Sydney/Melbourne to Canberra.

I have yet to meet an athlete yet who given the option of walking/driving 20 minutes to a venue on match day against a 90-minute bus ride, would prefer the latter option.

Firstly, it’s a Swans home game. They’re based in Melbourne at the moment. Why do they have to get on a plane to travel to their home game? To a ground they haven’t played at in a decade?

Secondly, the ACT govt says there are actually restrictions in place.
ED0D34AD-98DF-4FCC-B9E2-E5E152571500.jpeg
And any border crossing comes with risks at the moment, so why add more?

Thirdly, is Manuka any better for us? We haven’t played there since 2006. We played at Kardinia Park a month ago.

You’re trying to bend over backwards and make the Swans (the home side, and the side that’s actually being inconvenienced) jump through hoops, just to avoid our players taking an overly long bus ride.

Firstly, it’s a Swans home game. They’re based in Melbourne at the moment. Why do they have to get on a plane to travel to their home game? To a ground they haven’t played at in a decade?

Secondly, the ACT govt says there are actually restrictions in place.
View attachment 1165177
And any border crossing comes with risks at the moment, so why add more?

Thirdly, is Manuka any better for us? We haven’t played there since 2006. We played at Kardinia Park a month ago.

You’re trying to bend over backwards and make the Swans (the home side, and the side that’s actually being inconvenienced) jump through hoops, just to avoid our players taking an overly long bus ride.
No I am not. You do realise the fixtures have been changed greatly since COVID-19 started?
You don’t think every side hasn’t been inconvenienced with the fixturing since COVID-19 started? Playing the game at Optus and giving the Swans another home game later in the season would have been easy to do.
Brisbane and the Gold Coast played the majority of last season in their home state.
If I am correct GWS have given up a home game this weekend. Considering state governments are making exceptions to all AFL teams, I am sure the ACT Government would have made exceptions for the Swans and Eagles.

“Well Team A, unfortunately you can’t play at your usual Venue A through no fault of your own. Where else would you like to play?”
“Venue B please.”
“Ok.”

Absolutely scandalous.

No I am not. You do realise the fixtures have been changed greatly since COVID-19 started?

You do realize you’re insisting you’re not trying to make everyone jump through hoops and immediately following that with an intricate series of hoops?

You don’t think every side hasn’t been inconvenienced with the fixturing since COVID-19 started? Playing the game at Optus and giving the Swans another home game later in the season would have been easy to do.

Would it? Because we don’t play Sydney again. So then you’ve got to take a home game off someone else to give Sydney an extra one. And then find that team an extra home game, and so on. And do we lose a home game later on in the season in this scenario?

Hoops.

Brisbane and the Gold Coast played the majority of last season in their home state.

Great. What’s the relevance of that?

I’d have thought we’d want to avoid using 2020 as a basis for how to do things.

If I am correct GWS have given up a home game this weekend. Considering state governments are making exceptions to all AFL teams, I am sure the ACT Government would have made exceptions for the Swans and Eagles.

Not sure what the Giants losing a game at Giant Stadium has to do with the ACT Govt. Maybe the ACT . But why would the Swans agree to that? They’re the home team. They’re in Victoria. They want to play in Victoria.

And, wow, what do you know, there’s a regular AFL ground in Victoria that’s available.

Oh wait, it’s more than 20 minutes from the major airport. Never mind. Let’s see if the NT will agree to host the game in Darwin at the last minute. That’s another option that should absolutely be explored first before we make our players <gasp> take a bus ride.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back