Fonzie Rejects cats wish list

Remove this Banner Ad

GEELONG'S fixture wishlist has been ignored by the AFL despite the Cats' new-found clout as the competition's best team.

The reigning premiers will renew negotiations with the AFL after their requests for high drawing home matches and a minimum of nine games at Skilled Stadium were left out of a preliminary draft of the competition's 2008 draw.

Five interstate trips also confront the Cats in the draft fixture.

A home match against Collingwood, which this season attracted a crowd of 85,497 in Round 15, is also unlikely.

The Magpies appear set to take the cream from the blockbuster clash, which last season netted the Cats $770,820.

At this stage, it appears that the Cats will play their first home match in Melbourne in Round 2 and their first match at Skilled Stadium in Round 4.

The club could consider unfurling its premiership flag at both matches.

Cats CEO Brian Cook said the draw in its current form was not favourable but stressed that the AFL could revise its scheduling during the next week.

"That's the reality and we don't know whether fixtures will change or not because the AFL needs another week to go around all the clubs and usually there's two or three changes to the draft,'' Cook said.

"We're still negotiating but we haven't got a lot of what we wished for. We're in there trying to push a few things at the moment but in terms of what we exactly wanted, we haven't got that yet.''

Cook said the Cats' best chance of a home blockbuster appeared to rest with Essendon.

"(It's) not as good as I would have expected. I would have Collingwood and Essendon both as our home games (and) it doesn't look as though that will be the case. We're going to get one or the other as our home game,'' he said.

The AFL will release its official draw soon.

On ya Fonzie, 5 interstate matches without a home blockbuster.

Heck we can't even get 9 games at our own home ground.

Last time i checked we are the best team in the league, what we wanted was not extreme. Give us a ****n fair go.

I reckon this is crap. If we want 9 home games at skilled, we should get them. THAT IS OUR HOME GROUND!! If we want to "sell" 2 home games to the telstra dome/MCG, thats our porogative, but the AFL is forcing us to move 3. That is absolutely ridiculous. We don't have a deal with TD/MCG to play home games there, so if we want SS games, then we should get them.

The AFL is a business, not a fairness society.

It will form its schedule to get the most money possible out of everything - tv rights, sponsorship, gate revenue, etc.

Unfortunately, at the moment, Geelong still doesn't have enough clout to turn on field success in to off field dollars for the AFL. While this remains the case, we will get no favours from them.

I don't like it, but that's the reality.

Look i udnerstand ur dissapointment guys but the reality is commerce drives the draw. And even though we are successful, it doesnt necessarily always correlate with what is best finanically. There are 15 other clubs the AFL has to accomodate for so we cant expect them to do everything we want just cause we are premiers. I guess this year we would have pushed for more cuase of our success, but we cant expect to get it.

In my opinion 3 games in Melbourne is a good idea, bigger crowds and bigger exposrue for the club.

Personally until Skilled Stadium is increased 8 games is about hte rgiht amount. However we certainly should have more pre season games there.

Id like to think that we can get a blockbuster at the MCG against one of the big 4.

Anyway lets see how things pan out.

Collingwood might get what htey want but if w e are honest, what collingwood wants is wat every other club wants too...i.e. al;l melbourne clubs want a home game against collwingwood at the MCG. That is what the pies would want too, so u cant blame them.

ANyway bring on 2008

I reckon the Cats will be certainly be 'Big 4' status this season in terms of the MCG and interstate games. Fans will flock to watch our great style of game, and the 'G' and the Dome will be pretty well full when Geelong play there. I'd say even playing Melbourne there would be at least 50,000 coming, after all we got over 77,000 to a final against the Kangaroos. Just 25,000 went to the corresponding final vs Port in 2005, fair bet that Geelong had the 50,000 fans this year. We'll show them, anyway!

I reckon the Cats will be certainly be 'Big 4' status this season in terms of the MCG and interstate games. Fans will flock to watch our great style of game, and the 'G' and the Dome will be pretty well full when Geelong play there. I'd say even playing Melbourne there would be at least 50,000 coming, after all we got over 77,000 to a final against the Kangaroos. Just 25,000 went to the corresponding final vs Port in 2005, fair bet that Geelong had the 50,000 fans this year. We'll show them, anyway!

Cats will take a massive leap in 08 in friday night games, home and away, and tv exposure generally on seven and ten.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood look set to get 17 games at the MCG and 5 interstate...:rolleyes:

We're more likely to play 17 games at Skilled that the Pies are to leave Victoria 5 times.

Is it any wonder they make the finals every year (except when they tank of course).

The only way the club will start to get its way with the AFL the way that the Big 4 do is to get our membership numbers up. A lot of supporters weren't willing to renew this year because of '06, the club has done its part, its time for us to do ours. Help the club turn as many supporters as possible into members :D

The only way the club will start to get its way with the AFL the way that the Big 4 do is to get our membership numbers up. A lot of supporters weren't willing to renew this year because of '06, the club has done its part, its time for us to do ours. Help the club turn as many supporters as possible into members :D

The Tiges are part of the big 4 and had probably the worst draw of any team last year (which is not to denigrate your main point).

Wow, the AFL are screwing us over again. What a surprise. They've been doing it for ages. Remember reading once we played South Melbourne in the early days, and they charged admittance fees to our female members, which was a no-no back then. For the return fixture, we charged their female members an admittance fee, they whinged to the league, and as a result the league threatened us with expulsion.

Then there was the 1991 finals series when Ablett and Hinkley got suspended in the elimination final against St.Kilda, then the following week Brownless was suspended for something that was only listed as "a reportable offence." No one knew exactly what the report was for, but come the Preliminary final, we were without our two key forwards and best running defender, and only lost by 15 points. Somewhat conveniently too, all three suspensions were long enough that even if we made the grand final, we would still be without those three players.

Then there was the 1997 finals series, when we finished 2nd, but had to essentially play an away final in the first week, on a Sunday night to boot, which was the most inconvenient time for Geelong supporters due to school and work commitments the following day. Then we had to play in Adelaide the next week, which was when the Colbert mark wasn't paid. At the time, league CEO Wayne Jackson basically said "tough t***ies" when talking about how hard our finals campaign was, yet the final system was changed a few years later.

So the league has been out to get us for ages, and look like they're still at it. :mad:

The AFL is a business, not a fairness society.

It will form its schedule to get the most money possible out of everything - tv rights, sponsorship, gate revenue, etc.

Unfortunately, at the moment, Geelong still doesn't have enough clout to turn on field success in to off field dollars for the AFL. While this remains the case, we will get no favours from them.

I don't like it, but that's the reality.

Look i udnerstand ur dissapointment guys but the reality is commerce drives the draw. And even though we are successful, it doesnt necessarily always correlate with what is best finanically. There are 15 other clubs the AFL has to accomodate for so we cant expect them to do everything we want just cause we are premiers. I guess this year we would have pushed for more cuase of our success, but we cant expect to get it.

ANyway bring on 2008

Sorry guys, but EVERY TEAM has their own agreements in regards to home games. We are being FORCED to move an extra game against our will. If we had an agreement with TD/MCG, then fair enough, but we don't. We should not be forced to play home games where the AFL wants. Tell me which other team if forced to do this? Melbourne? No, THEY sell their game to canberra. Dogs? No, again, their decision. Hawks, no. Kanga's? No. So why us? It makes no sense.

So why us? It makes no sense.

Weren't you listening?

istockphoto_129681_australian_money.jpg

That's why.

There is no compulsion for fairness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fonzie Rejects cats wish list

Remove this Banner Ad

Back