Franks for the memories. Things don't always go well with COLA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good answer. I deserved that.

Mind u id love Lance at Box Hill.

Im sure DC would too.

Consider my last post void.

And my resignation from all bud contracts talks from here on..

GWS, Hawthorn AND Essendon? No honest woman or man would follow both the Hawks AND the Bombres.

He says he's not going anywhere. No one has come forward to contradict that.

tumblr_mexpafJ5851rouyxzo1_500.gif

It's seriously driving me crazy that other teams, officials, etc. are allowed to tamper with players under contract. It's my least favorite part of following soccer. This kind of shit is just not allowed in the US. If you're going to have free-agency, there has to be a strict no-tampering policy. That doesn't just mean that clubs can't negotiate with agents of players until the free agency period begins. It also means that people employed by other clubs can't discuss the contract status, any offer they'd make, etc., etc. of that player. Period.

Jon Ralph has a stupid, stupid article that uses Ross Lyon's quotes from February about how he'd spend $1.5m on Buddy as a hook. That would bring a six figure fine from the league office in the NBA, NFL, MLB, etc.

Has anybody noticed that there is not one pic of Buddy in the Hawks Nest catalogue? Maybe the club already knows he won't be there next year..mmmmmm...strange :rolleyes:
Oh well, I have probably jumped to the conclusion..:D

Interestingly, I'm sure last year they were spruiking both Cyril and Buddy tee shirts in the catalogue... now I can only see Cyril's tee shirt for sale. I think we can all safely say this is the final piece of the puzzle. Time for the next jigsaw. Ohh... this one has over a hundred pieces to it. It might take a while.

Jon Ralph has a stupid, stupid article that uses Ross Lyon's quotes from February about how he'd spend $1.5m on Buddy as a hook. That would bring a six figure fine from the league office in the NBA, NFL, MLB, etc

I wonder whether Ralph meant as a HOOKER...oops:D

Sheesh thats a scary forward line. Especially when you consider they can throw Watts and Sellar forward if they need to as well.

Buddy will sign Easter Monday morning bringing an avalanche of Hawks supporters to the G and and like an irresistible force we will brush the Cats aside. My take on the conspiracy side of things.

I'm not sure we'll get off that easily, but if when he does sign, I'm sure we'll do something similar as a marketing ploy. The club loves that type of riff raff.

Sheesh thats a scary forward line. Especially when you consider they can throw Watts and Sellar forward if they need to as well.

Buddy will sign Easter Monday morning bringing an avalanche of Hawks supporters to the G and and like an irresistible force we will brush the Cats aside. My take on the conspiracy side of things.

As Monday is April Fool's Day, I predicted that as soon as it was known he put off his signing.

So over Buddy talk and we haven't even played a game in anger.

Journalists spending too much time doing nothing other than dreaming up Buddy articles.

It's getting boring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Ross Lyon is still standing by his statement last year, that he wants Lance Franklin at Fremantle and would happily pay him 1.5M a year for him."

It's seriously driving me crazy that other teams, officials, etc. are allowed to tamper with players under contract. It's my least favorite part of following soccer. This kind of shit is just not allowed in the US. If you're going to have free-agency, there has to be a strict no-tampering policy. That doesn't just mean that clubs can't negotiate with agents of players until the free agency period begins. It also means that people employed by other clubs can't discuss the contract status, any offer they'd make, etc., etc. of that player. Period.

Jon Ralph has a stupid, stupid article that uses Ross Lyon's quotes from February about how he'd spend $1.5m on Buddy as a hook. That would bring a six figure fine from the league office in the NBA, NFL, MLB, etc.

Yeah imagine if the head of the NBA, NFL or MLB came out and said they would consider additional payments if a star player switched to another club. AFL is advanced in some areas and still two bit cowboys in others.

Yeah imagine if the head of the NBA, NFL or MLB came out and said they would consider additional payments if a star player switched to another club. AFL is advanced in some areas and still two bit cowboys in others.

It's funny, that part of things doesn't bother me because, in contrast to American leagues, whose only purpose is to make more money for its constituent clubs, the AFL really does act as a nonprofit whose only goal is to grow the game (even if we may not agree with how they go about it). I just think that if you are going to have free agency, you need to ban tampering.

It's funny, that part of things doesn't bother me because, in contrast to American leagues, whose only purpose is to make more money for its constituent clubs, the AFL really does act as a nonprofit whose only goal is to grow the game (even if we may not agree with how they go about it). I just think that if you are going to have free agency, you need to ban tampering.

Agree on banning tampering but I think if you are going to ban other clubs tampering with FA then the league itself must also uphold the same rules. I think they have banned tampering to an extent in the AFL it is more that it is not governed I think. I may be wrong on that though..

Agree on banning tampering but I think if you are going to ban other clubs tampering with FA then the league itself must also uphold the same rules. I think they have banned tampering to an extent in the AFL it is more that it is not governed I think. I may be wrong on that though..

That's fair. I think that Demetrio should have answered more artfully. But, if you really look at what he said, it doesn't differ in content from a much more acceptable statement like: "There is a process in place for determining if a player should be paid a fee for their marketing value to the AFL as a whole. Whether Lance Franklin is paid such a fee, will be determined by that process just like it would be with any player."

That's fair. I think that Demetrio should have answered more artfully. But, if you really look at what he said, it doesn't differ in content from a much more acceptable statement like: "There is a process in place for determining if a player should be paid a fee for their marketing value to the AFL as a whole. Whether Lance Franklin is paid such a fee, will be determined by that process just like it would be with any player."

This is exactly right, thing is AD is no fool. If that is the message he wanted out. That is the way he would have worded it. Very subtle differences can mean a lot in regard to perception. In my view AD is fully aware of this and regardless, 1.88mil per year should dictate that AD is aware of it.

Now put that into this scenario. Buddy's potential suitor is freo and they offer buddy an extra $2m for the term of the contract. The hawks are due to meet freo in the 2013 prelim. Someone poses the question whether the offer will remain valid post season.
There are good reasons why fines are dealt out for this kind of behaviour but it remains extremely difficult to police. How do you stop people having 'conversations'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back