Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

11. Quinten Lynch (West Coast) Being actively shopped around given he wants more than the one-year deal he would probably get at West Coast. A club like Collingwood should consider him. He can play the second or third tall, and also pinch-hit more than adequately in the ruck. He's not a superstar, but in the era of role players, he could be very valuable.

Well if you Listen to the Rumors from the West we have more then Consider Him

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...d-if-theyll-move/story-e6frf3e3-1226465356840

Could do worse than giving Lucas Cook a chance, anyone know why he couldn't get a game? I'd back our development team in any day of the week, he obviously has the talent..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends if he get's De-Listed

No it doesn't. You don't become a Free Agent when you get delisted.

If he was, he could walk to any club he wants, when in actual fact he would need to go through the draft still.

Free Agent (in AFL terms) is just a way for a player to move clubs.

No it doesn't. You don't become a Free Agent when you get delisted.

If he was, he could walk to any club he wants, when in actual fact he would need to go through the draft still.

Free Agent (in AFL terms) is just a way for a player to move clubs.
Actually, you do become a free agent if you're delisted and have played seven or less seasons of footy, which Cook happens to have. Read the AFL Free Agency rules on their website.

Actually, you do become a free agent if you're delisted and have played seven or less seasons of footy, which Cook happens to have. Read the AFL Free Agency rules on their website.

Really? So if we delisted Simon Buckley (for instance) are you saying he then becomes a FA and can go to any club without needing to go through the draft?

Is that right?

Yeah, delisted players are automatically free agents. Great initiative, really. Guys like Brett Peake and Steve Clifton can now sign with whoever they want.

Wow, okay. Then where is the line drawn then? If a player walks out on the club (but has been around for fewer than 7 years) and forces a delisting (isn't traded) can he then go anywhere?

No. If a player with >7 years under the belt decides to leave, they have to go to into the draft/PSD/rookie, just like Luke Ball did. They can not go directly to a club of their choice.

Yeah, well that is what I though. Delisted players don't become Free Agents. Only players eligible for Free Agency become free agents. So back to my point, Cook isn't a Free Agent, despite being delisted.

Millsy29 is saying that players with fewer than 7 years DO become Free Agents. Millsy, can you clarify?

Yeah, well that is what I though. Delisted players don't become Free Agents. Only players eligible for Free Agency become free agents. So back to my point, Cook isn't a Free Agent, despite being delisted.

Millsy29 is saying that players with fewer than 7 years DO become Free Agents. Millsy, can you clarify?

Delisted means the club let's you go, therefore you're a free agent. When the player themself wants to go and have less than 7 years, they aren't a free agent. If the club cuts you adrift, you're a free agnt.

I reckon there will be a lot of young talent available from other clubs this year due to so many new coaches being instated last year, so now they can actually start getting rid of players that don't suit their plans, or that they just don't like. So suprised with Melbourne and Gysberts this year he is a great young talent and they didn't give him a chance.

As OS says, a delisted player (ie Brett Peake) is a free agent. They are virtually unrestricted FA as they can sign with whoever. If Carlton for example offered Peake a one year deal, he can accept and bypass the draft. A >7 year player who is out of contract and walks out on the club on his own accord is not a free agent and goes into the ND/PSD/Rookie. Big difference between the two. If Gysberts was delisted, we could just sign him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back