Fremantle v Sydney GDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney dominated the whole game, but the guys managed to stay in touch for the entire time. Realistically, they should have won by a fair bit more than they did.

You're right.

Sydney are a well drilled team too. They forced us wide or into a stoppage and flooded massively (God I hate floods). Why did they press everyone forward while we hung back with 2-3? Fast breaks were fumbled or shut down wide.

Mora and Fyfe have dropped away a bit - can't hold it against them.

I don't know what more the team we fronted with could have done actually. Obviously there were a couple of turn-overs here and there, but we just barely created the opportunities forward.

The fumbling maul in the centre is something we have to develop a strategy against. The ball came down, the ground contest was on and more often Sydney cleared it their way.

Some strange opinions in this thread.
I thought Ibbo was good, same Mora and Suban played well in the back half then nearly kicked the winning goal.
Roberton was terrific, Walters showed why he's so highly rated. Clarke did some ok things in the ruck but didn't hold one mark.
Broughton and Bradley were superb. DeBoer very good. Mundy and Pav were soundly beaten in the stoppages.
I thought the decision to play Hill in the backline was more or less conceding that contest. Didn't understand that.
In the end were beaten all day but still got our noses in front, one bad decision and a half assed effort from Johnson and we lost. Johnson was pathetic today.
Not a bad effort from a very young side. Put Tarrant, Balla, Mayne in and we would have won I reckon.
Season pretty much done, we'll lose the rest from here and finish just in the 8.
Nothing much changes really...win the last game of the season against Carlton and we will get a home final, simple as that...outclassed at the stoppages today and little surprise given the difference in experience across the ground and in the middle. Boys kept it much closer than it probably should have been and thought they fought it out well. 4th spot was never realistic but with a few players back in Balla, Mayne, Sandiland etc. we will be much more competitive come the carlton game.

I thought Ibbo was good, same Mora and Suban played well in the back half then nearly kicked the winning goal.
Roberton was terrific, Walters showed why he's so highly rated. Clarke did some ok things in the ruck but didn't hold one mark.
Broughton and Bradley were superb. DeBoer very good. Mundy and Pav were soundly beaten in the stoppages.
I thought the decision to play Hill in the backline was more or less conceding that contest. Didn't understand that.
In the end were beaten all day but still got our noses in front, one bad decision and a half assed effort from Johnson and we lost. Johnson was pathetic today.
Not a bad effort from a very young side. Put Tarrant, Balla, Mayne in and we would have won I reckon.
Season pretty much done, we'll lose the rest from here and finish just in the 8.

Nah, we'll beat Carlton.

The ins for that last game should be;

Sandi
Pav
Hase
Taz
Balla
Palmer

obviously I'm recommending Sandi misses another week (no point making him sit in the plane for 7 hours to Tazzie) and we should rest Pav and Hase from that game too.

we have to put everything into the carlton game. Alot of the boys looked tired today, while others are obviosuly in there because of our injuries. Think its time for morabito to be dropped/rested, appeared on the big screen that he shirked a contest again, so time for him to play for peel.
Hopefully schammer isnt dropped, because he was nowhere near our worst today. Actually did a few good things.

Hill has lost form at just the wrong time. I thought it was really strange the way he was played today by the coaches. Obviously trying to get him in the game off half back, but it was a dismal failure and they left him there?? He was trying to get off Shaw and play on McGlynn, but I think at least 2 and maybe all 3 of McGlynn's goals were due to defensive lapses by Hill when he was actually was off Shaw and playing on McGlynn. I'd definitely give him a break vs Hawthorn.

Hill might need a rest too. They've got to do something, we can't go into the finals with our most damaging midfielder devoid of confidence

Hill needs a rest. Badly, same as Pav. But when do we do it? against Hawks which we will lose if we rest them, or an in form Carlton?

Hill needs a rest. Badly, same as Pav. But when do we do it? against Hawks which we will lose if we rest them, or an in form Carlton?

we are going to lose anyway against hawks. At least we have a chance against carlton.
Cant believe how much we are missing barlow :( our midfield got absolutely monstered today.

Cant believe how much we are missing barlow :( our midfield got absolutely monstered today.

If we'd managed to win today we probably would have set a new record for the amount of clearances lost while still winning a game.

It was absolutely ridiculous. I have never, ever seen a game where one team was so absolutely comprehensively smashed out of the middle without copping a flogging on the scoreboard too.

Umpires tuined the game today. Although having said that we did not look convincing at all.
If we are picking players for the way we want to play "pressuring the opposition into making turnovers", then some changes need to be made.
Although Sunny was good i didn't think his pressure was at the level it needs to be.
Clarke layed tackles but i still think he needs more development, just looks to slow and needs to have stronger hands to be a decent target.
Schammer wasn't too bad today although he is still making crucial errors by foot.

Jay VanBerlo was hard done by getting dropped and Bollenhagen possibly the same.
Changes for next week assuming all players that played are fit:
Out:
Schammer
Clarke
50/50 Walters (tough to tell. was good when he had it but off ball needs work).
Another couple could come under the form cloud, depending on the ins.

In:
VanBerlo (didn't play for West Perth)
Sandilands (if fit)
Bollenhagen (was 1st emergency this game. Think he has adjusted to the pace and output of the game.
Ballantyne (in car park said if he had the last say he would of played today, 50/50 for next week)

Interesting opinion by many that because a team is losing that players need to be rested. Lets say we had won our last few games would we be resting players and do the top teams Geelong Collingwood etc REST their players at this time of year as most of them have played the same number of games as our players.
Does losing make you more tired hence needing a REST?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great job guys, solid effort to stay in the match, Morobito (sp?) and De Boer played great.

RE: Umpiring,

I thought we definently got the better end for the first qtr max, but after that it really wasn't that bad, I mean you notice all our holding the balls and we noticed things for you guys too, umpiring isn't ever perfect so I'm just letting it go.

Hope Barlow is back soon, what a horrible injury

Where do you reckon Walters is going to finish up(mid or sml/fwd)?
If we rest the players that should be spelled,we will be better than even money fav's to beat the blues,providing sandi,ballas are back.

Walters will end up as a rotating SF/Mid imo. Start off similar to Gary Ablett Jr and the other smallish forwards and eventually play through the midfield. Especially if they cap rotations, midfielders will need to rest forward more.

I went to todays match and I got to see that Number 3 was horrible.

My mate and I were neutrals so we had a great laugh at some of the decisions in the 3rd quarter.

Do you come in your West Coast gear like many such tossers? If you hear someone yelling "you're at the WRONG game idiot" - that's me.

My mate and I were neutrals so we had a great laugh at some of the decisions in the 3rd quarter.

Have to agree, was at the game and thought the umpiring in the first half was tolerable, notwithstanding the lack of frees our way.

The 3rd quarter was an absolute debacle, there was widely differing interpretations amongst the field umpires - definitely the worst quarter this season at Subi, the crowd were just one pitchfork and a flaming torch away from turning into a lynch mob.

The last quarter it seemed they put away their whistles. It was when they missed the Mumford throw that the penny dropped - none of them had the aerobic fitness to run to the correct position so they could properly adjudicate.

Utterly and totally unacceptable.

Walters will end up as a rotating SF/Mid imo. Start off similar to Gary Ablett Jr and the other smallish forwards and eventually play through the midfield. Especially if they cap rotations, midfielders will need to rest forward more.

Might be so, love his skills, but he's going to have get some serious workrate into his game if he's going to play AFL regularly. His chase wasn't quite there and, more the point, he probably needs to just run and move more and be able to be still pushing up and down the wings deep into the last quarter. Like most, like what I saw for what is virtually a first year player, but needs to show more hard work.

On the umpiring, I don't think we were that badly done by overall, but that I was another one annoyed at Mummy getting away with throws. I know it's hard to pick, but we were getting smashed in the clearances as it was without him being allowed to throw it out rugby style. One of them ended in the Swans 2nd last goal that effectively gave them the game.

Thought Clarke managed himself quite well in the ruck from what I saw, not really effective around the ground and I'd have liked to see him down foward for longer stints.

Clarke played a heap of time fwd, especially early in the game and did basically nothing - in his defence, it wasn't a tall fwds day for both teams today.

In terms of rucking, Clarke was useful at centre bounces in that he helped nullify the ruck contest and the more he played there the better we looked in the centre (and that still wasn't great BTW), but that was about it. He was hopelessly outplayed around the ground and simply couldn't keep up with Mummy in the end. Keps played him much better around the ground, but was seriously outpointed in the centre bounces - we just kept swapping them around and it was a case of choose your poison.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fremantle v Sydney GDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Back