Review Fremantle vs Port Adelaide - Trial Match 2 @ Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Give it up

he won’t develop surely you can see that.. he’s not up to it

its why no other club wanted him..

read the tea leaves

Assuming this is true, and he’s physically incapable of playing AFL football, why are we entering Year 6(!) with him on the list?

Very concerning performance.

The good - JHF, SPP, Bergman. Rozee and Butters showed their class at times and the Evans cameo in the last was good but hard to measure up being fresh legs and all.

The concerning -

Lycett is cooked. The game has gone past him and there isn’t a way back physically.

Jonas was never really a good player and has been getting worse each year for the past few but now his physicality seems to be gone also. Disaster having him as captain this year.

DBJ has no place in the 22. You can pick guys like that up as delisted free agents or late in the draft. Extending his contract will haunt us for a while.

Burgoyne isn’t ready. He shows some smarts but he’s not physical, doesn’t appear to be a good ball user, and too often is just running around aimlessly.

Farrell to me looks lost down back. He’s never been an accumulator of possessions but has been damaging in the forward half. He’s struggling to find space to steady and deliver.

The game plan has not evolved one iota. It’s stale, ineffective and predictable. Scouting us must be so easy for oppos. I feel bad for the players smashing their bodies in to win the territory battle but with no structure or strategy on how we are actually going to move the ball forward. It’s just bang it in there and try and scrap something from it.
You cannot have butters as a good.. he got pantsed by their mids

Barely touched it

You cannot have butters as a good.. he got pantsed by their mids

Barely touched it
He did say at times for Butters. I think he was good when playing forward, he was the only one trying to get the ball in quick & hit a target inside 50m. How many of our players eg: SPP & Wines get the ball 70m out and try to secretly nod to Dixon like the opposition can’t see, then they just sit it on Dixon head.

He did say at times for Butters. I think he was good when playing forward, he was the only one trying to get the ball in quick & hit a target inside 50m. How many of our players eg: SPP & Wines get the ball 70m out and try to secretly nod to Dixon like the opposition can’t see, then they just sit it on Dixon head.
he needs to be getting 20-25 touches as a minimum..and get to more contests and effect more contests

that will help make us a good side.

The problem is always this, especially with little to no change in the coaching group. The senior players under pressure are going to revert straight back to Hinkley's gameplan even if they attempted to change the gameplan in the summer cause that's all they know. Most of the senior players have only played under Hinkley the past decade, so when it gets tough they'll always revert back to type, same as Hinkley.

There's no change to the gameplan for this season, that's obvious. Anyone claiming otherwise is either a happy clapper or a idiot. The two can be one of the same as well. We've spent the summer refining a gameplan that is tried and tested and falls short ultimately when it matters most. The aim of the game is to win Premierships not make the 8, something that Hinkley, Koch and this regime have forgotten over the journey.

I don't agree with a lot David King says but in regards to building a list to win Premierships not to just make the finals I agree with him. Is our list closer to winning a Premiership? No it isn't, we're further away from that then we have ever been the past 5 years.

Our next Premiership tilt comes with JHF, Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Bergman, Burgoyne, Marshall, Mitch and co leading the charge not Boak, Dixon, Jonas, Lycett and the senior players we currently have. And it doesn't come with Ken Hinkley as coach either. That's been obvious since the end of 2021 when we blew the last of our chances.

The club can attempt to change the lipstick on the current pig, but they're the facts of the current regime. The sooner someone comes in and starts building towards the next Premiership properly not maintain the fight to remain competitive the more we'll stay in the same current rut.

Our 3 prelim years had someone with an ounce of tactical ability the other years we haven't.

What's truly shocking is that we tracked the s**t on our shoes through the house and kept binning the good shoes instead.

Without schofield and walsh port have 1 final win in hinkleys tenure, and that 1 win can somewhat be attributed to Alan richardsons guidance in 2013.

Dog. s**t.

I don’t really care about the result, I would have been happy with an effective game plan and decent skills.

In saying that, Port Adelaide have dramatically under estimated the benefit of having a tactical expert in the box.

I agree with your comment, but would also add that the non-replacement of Voss in 2022 was a massive mistake. One that is going to play out once again this year.

Hinkley was a great development coach and what was needed in 2013 to set things up. But he isn’t a tactical premiership winning coach and the requirements of the team has past him by.

I have to admit I did not watch all of the trial as I had one eye on the cricket in India but from what I saw I think we are over rated. On what I have seen this year we will be lucky to scrape into the 8. Very little cohesive team work and we still **** about with short kicks and handballs to players under pressure. Case in point Aliir marks the ball in defence then puts in a 10 metre kick to Kane Farrell standing flat footed a metre inside the boundary, Kane promptly drops the ball and it dribbles out of bounds. In other words same old shit.

Until someone at the top sees sense and gets rid of Hinkley we are destined to be 'also rans'.

I reckon my enthusiasm meter has peaked at about 3 on a scale of 10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Addressing the players at the breaks with a backwards cap on and chewing gum.

I mean I get it, he's a cool dude and it's just a pre season game. But given the pressure this team and coaching staff should theoretically be under, a little bit of professionalism and a business like approach might not go astray.
Falls in line with the fat slob that dresses like a homeless person and sounds like he's never attended school, our senior coach.

I've been telling everyone who will listen for years that he's better than both Jonas and Clurey. The coaching staff have figured out he's better than Clurey, now they just have to work out he's also better than their captain.
The frustrating thing is it wouldn't be hard to rejig & freshen this backline up, the problem is the two guys that need to be dropped & earn their spots back are in fukcing leadership positions.

Gee, I hope Visentini can develop into a very good ruckman. Otherwise, we are STUFFED in the ruck department not just for the short-term but also the long-term. Teakle is not a ruckman. They have given up on Hayes - I will never understand that relationship. Why we gave up on him so suddenly and permanently, and why he has hasn't given up on us yet. Lycett is cooked to a char. Visentini is the only hope of being able to compete in the ruck again any time soon.

Gee, I hope Visentini can develop into a very good ruckman. Otherwise, we are STUFFED in the ruck department not just for the short-term but also the long-term. Teakle is not a ruckman. They have given up on Hayes - I will never understand that relationship. Why we gave up on him so suddenly and permanently, and why he has hasn't given up on us yet. Lycett is cooked to a char. Visentini is the only hope of being able to compete in the ruck again any time soon.
Too hung up on what rucks do around the ground, all Hayes needs is experience the rest of his game would build as he acquires AFL match conditioning.

The ridiculous part is the two guys they prefer over him offer subpar rubbish around the ground so what are you actually losing by blooding him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Fremantle vs Port Adelaide - Trial Match 2 @ Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back