News Freo head pack of eight clubs after Jack Watts

Remove this Banner Ad

2v9oxoi.png

I really feel for this guy having to put up with a crap development plan. He is only really worth a second round draft pick right now.

Me too. Melbourne isn't exactly the place for a young rookie right now, and with us being consistent top-8 (funny how I think that way now) then he might develop a lot better than he has so far. He's at least an experienced AFL footballer with game time, young, and originally a top draft pick.
If you were to ask "What happened to Jack Watts" a lot of people would probably say "Melbourne". He might be worth more than a draftee.

But having said that, I wouldn't sell the farm for him in terms of ruck stocks. I'd be willing to trade Mellington and a second rounder for him for him though. Some might lambast me for that, but I'd do it, knowing RTB's ability to get the best from his players. Clarke would be a one for one trade ONLY if Clarke expressed a desire to go back East. I haven't seen any evidence of that other than on these boards, though.

Surprised no-one from across the way has joined in here yet, so I'll bite. Not to get involved in the discussion per se, but for some background. Jack's story over the last couple of years under Neeld goes more or less like this:

Beginning of last year, he was played as a forward. With mixed (unconvincing) results. So eventually, he was dropped to Casey, where he had 2 or 3 games that just got better and better - he may be many things, but he's got too much class to not make a decent show of it at VFL level. So, he was brought back into the team as a kind of sweeper, loose man across the back line. At which he started to really excel (referred to in the article), and across the middle part of last year, became one of our most valuable players (bear with me ...). Then, he did his ankle, which he had difficulty getting over. He came back into the team for the last few matches, but was off the pace after the lay-off.

This year, he was set up for the same role. Across the NAB cup, playing that sweeper role, he was dominant in most matches, so much so that he was in the top 10 across the league for supercoach points (or whatever it was), and had the odd article predicting this would be his "breakout year".

But then, the wheels fell off. Other clubs started to see how we were using him as our go-to man out of defence, so against Port (first game) he was basically taken out of the game with a combination of a hard tag, and/or an opposition forward playing a defensive forward role on him. Which worked. Against Essendon, much of the same, and he was subbed off. But around that time, as part of that a) he got a gastro thing that was going round, b) his grandfather died and c) he became a bit of a whipping boy for what was wrong with Melbourne. So, a week or so's rest, then back into the team against GWS (OK, OK), a respectable 19 possessions. Then, against Brisbane, he was doing OK, but with Clark out, Watts was swung forward where he was more than respectable (16D, 9M, 2G). But ... pinged a hammy, and has been out since. We shall have to see which Jack turns up this week against Freeo.

Much of the pro/con discussion here can be found across all the Dees' boards. He has great skill and agility, reads the play like few players can, has good hands, and his kicking is sublime. But ... when he's not "on", well you wonder how he's even in the first 22, he just doesn't get near it.

So ... leave it with you. We shall see. Suspect this is normal "slow news week" story. He may well really benefit from getting away from Melbourne and his history there, but equally, he may be inclined to stay. If you were to get him, I'd hold the ammo for a while. You could be surprised.

Do. Not. Want.

He may have all the talent in the world and the height to plug the hole in our forward line, but without the right attitude or heart, it's a doomed project from the start. Putting him on our list even as a PSD pick seems a waste of a place on the list.

Sorry for him that he's been Shemonized, but at the same time it was also his choice not to make the most of what little development environment they had and be the best player he could be while he was playing with them. Whether hat was because he didn't feel that he had to earn his spot, or because he hated the team, etc... it was his choice to not play to the best of his abilities or at least show that he is making an effort to be a good player in a shit team. (Case in point for the Shemons - Jack Viney, Nathan Jones). If for nothing else than to show other teams hat he was worth picking up when his contract was up, he could have tried to show more.

Not sure he's worth any of our lot to trade. Even Crichton, for all the rap against him, has more heart and application nan Jack Watts.

Coming back to this thread again; what I've seem of him play hasn't been super impressive beyond him covering the turf pretty well for a tall player. I can't help thinking though that much of the griping about him in this thread about being uncommitted or pea heart is simply mouthing of a popular narrative (which is centred around simple human scapegoating. Beats me why. Someone has to finish last; why does there always have to be an explanation? Anyway I digress) rather than a considered assessment of his footy based carefull viewing of many games that he has played in.
It's not his fault he was taken at pick 1, yet somehow we all act as if, deep down, it is. What is yet to shown is whether he should have been picked in hindsight at pick 30, 60, or not all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And again we blame Melbourne. Sure, they have a hand to play in this.

But where does the individuals responsibility lie? Why can other players play great footy in the same situation? Like, as I previously mentioned, Nathan Jones.

And what vision? What good disposal? What ability to kick straight?

Yes, he's tall and runs quick, but none of the required skills that you mention have been showcased, on any level of consistency, for the entirety of his career!

I think it's all down to the head space and attitude of the player. These are both attributes that can be worked on by clubs, although it would seem harder to develop a positive attitude in a player given the culture at Melbourne. If I got drafted by a team with shit culture and played in 59 games which are mainly losses I would mentally be knocked around a bit.

You can't really compare him to Nathan Jones as he might naturally have a stronger will and attitude than Watts. It's just an attribute which Jones is better at. It's like comparing Fyfe's contested marking to any other midfielders. Fyfe is just better at that aspect. Not to say that overall he is better than player X or Y (but in most cases he is).

I have no doubt that Ross would sort him out, if not, he will expose him as the bad player you believe him to be.

I would like him at Freo if the price is right.

I don't think the risk is head space etc, more whether he has a real appetite for the contest. I would be concerned about him being another Andrew McDudegirl who was a number 5 pic irc.

Our 2nd round pick plus a decent young player surplus to our needs is all i would want to give up.

If Geelong was happy with that deal for Taylor and Melbourne was happy with that deal for Watts.
I would take Watts.

A forward is our main priority right now.
We need 1 right now to play alongside Pav.
We need another one developing ready for that sad day the great man retires.
If he cant turn things around and worse comes to worse he can play down back as he has shown some ability in AFL games when played there for Melbourne.
We do not need a key defender now or in the next 2 years.
Taylor is surplus to our needs.
I believe Mcpharlin is a better forward than Taylor, he has more speed off the mark so can take marks out on the lead and is also a better contested mark than Taylor.

Didn't you say you were 48 just the other day? You count your experience back to age of 8?
On those criteria my 27 years of experience stick by my earlier opinion.

You've got me a little antsy with that comment Para.

So please watch the Melbourne v GWS game from earlier this year, if you can bare it, and then get back to me.

If you can't be bothered, then to summarise, it will be but one of many, many games where your theory of a parroted popular narrative and poor little Jack gets blown sky high.

Taylor easily a better player.
As i said though he does not fit our needs.
Say we got Taylor he does not fix our problem, he strengthens where we are already strong.
Our defense is good enough to hold up against any team, making it even stronger doesnt help put match winning scores on the board.
Dont waste money on wants when there is other things that are needed.

We still need a damn forward.
We are 1 more half decent key forward away from being the best team in the comp.

Well, don't get carried away after last week. Tall, lose HBF who can play forwards are not often enough nearly matchwinners to really move heaven and hell (or even an average draft pick) to get them...

Remove this Banner Ad

News Freo head pack of eight clubs after Jack Watts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back