Review Freo holds on against the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Swans board crying victim about umpires, saying we won because of them.

Make no mistake, those spoon fed privileged cola victims are every bit as bad as big vic fan bases.
Richmond fans are by far the biggest victims.

The Swans as a club (including fans) are by far the most entitled.

Make no mistake, those spoon fed privileged cola victims are every bit as bad as big vic fan bases.
Went on Facebook and the amount of people saying freo won due to the umpiring was insane...like wtf. Did they even watch the same game.

The handball observation is spot on. They are super crisp, non-intuitive, hands that beat congestion by either being stupidly quick or almost weird in direction. Fantastic connection they have in there.

Years ago Fyfey used to flick out these electric hand passes that just missed the mark because he was expecting a Nathan Fyfe to be on end of them. Now he’s got these switched-on units all around him in the guts, ready and able.

Went on Facebook and the amount of people saying freo won due to the umpiring was insane...like wtf. Did they even watch the same game.
It's not exactly unprecedented. Go to any review thread on BF where a team lost and you'll find bulk posts about being robbed, they got an armchair, we need to crowd fund the 10k so the coach can call it out, the AFL is corrupt etc.

Blaming the umps is the lowest of low hanging fruits and most fans can't resist.

It's not exactly unprecedented. Go to any review thread on BF where a team lost and you'll find bulk posts about being robbed, they got an armchair, we need to crowd fund the 10k so the coach can call it out, the AFL is corrupt etc.

Blaming the umps is the lowest of low hanging fruits and most fans can't resist.
But never Freo fans...
we always seek to exemplify objectivity, balance and gracious good manners.

The only game I felt completely robbed was the Carlton game.

The issue that has not helped the standard of umpiring is changing the rules mid year.

Didn't the Swans play out of ANZ stadium there for a bit? I'm pretty we beat them there instead of the SCG in the noughties.
Yeah they did used to play 3 home games there a year plus finals.

Freo have only have played Finals there though - 2006 & 2014.

Homebush is a dump anyway.

Its a shit ground for all sports i suppose its the legacy of the 2000 Olympics. But i wouldn't even call it a great rectangular stadium.

SCG is and always will be the Swans home.

Maybe in 150 years time when GWS have a genuine supporter base they might be able to play in front of 80k seat stadium.

I'm not going to lie, after watching I thought we got the rub of the green overall.

I haven't rewatched to actually observe, and it won't be a popular opinion here, but that was my impression.

It's a natural as a fan the decisions that go against you stick in your mind while others in the opposite way are just banked.
A few that stood out, Fyfe's "handball" in the middle and some earlier that looked awfully like HTB.
Later on we copped the non-block and plenty more I'm sure.

Last edited:

Essendon lost by 45 and apparently it was the umpiring. Watched (and listened to) some of the Eagles game for the first time in ages yesterday. Very amusing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not going to lie, after watching I thought we got the rub of the green overall.

I haven't rewatched to actually observe, and it won't be a popular opinion here, but that was my impression.

It's a natural as a fan the decisions that go against you stick in your mind while others in the opposite way are just banked.
I think it was 50/50. Favoured us when we got going and favoured them when they got going. We got some soft calls, but towards the end they also ignored some blatant throws and blocks from Sydney.

End of the day, unless it’s a literal game deciding decision, it’s hard to complain about umpires when you have double the amount of FKs as the oppo

Essendon lost by 45 and apparently it was the umpiring. Watched (and listened to) some of the Eagles game for the first time in ages yesterday. Very amusing.
They did get at least 2 dodgy calls and that could have chanced momentum for sure (at least 1 went down the other end for a 12 point swing). That said, they absolutely threw in the towel so I feel nothing. If they'd fought it out and lost by 2 goals I'd have sympathy.

You're going to get bad decisions, they happen all the time. You might even get 3 or 4 in a row. You've still got to play it out. You don't see clubs offering the points up when they are on the right end of it.

I think it was 50/50. Favoured us when we got going and favoured them when they got going. We got some soft calls, but towards the end they also ignored some blatant throws and blocks from Sydney.

End of the day, unless it’s a literal game deciding decision, it’s hard to complain about umpires when you have double the amount of FKs as the oppo
Yeah I should clarify, I don't think it was overwhelming nor the deciding factor, it was just my impression.

We've actually had a couple games this year I've felt that way, and some we've copped it.

I find the free kick count unhelpful, people are biased to assume equal is fair but it isn't.
Unless you have a completely impartial committee that are well trained reviewing each game afterwards there's no way to know what "fair" or reasonable was.

Yeah I should clarify, I don't think it was overwhelming nor the deciding factor, it was just my impression.

We've actually had a couple games this year I've felt that way, and some we've copped it.

I find the free kick count unhelpful, people are biased to assume equal is fair but it isn't.
Unless you have a completely impartial committee that are well trained reviewing each game afterwards there's no way to know what "fair" or reasonable was.
Agree that fk count isn’t useful most of the time, but when there’s such a big discrepancy between fks and you’ve got almost double the other team then you can’t really complain.

It’s the HTB decisions that are still the hardest to comprehend, the Young ones were correct but the swans players just dropped the ball when tackled and didn’t get pinged for it. That was my only real beef with the umps, Ryan was definitely blocked but shouldn’t have been playing so far off his man and the Davies one was 50/50 as to if Armarty actually made contact with the ball or the arms or both.

Not sure if this has been covered already.

Why was McDonald allowed to run off his line to the right when kicking after the siren.

Used to be play on. Pretty sure the ump was even explaining that he couldn’t do that before he had the kick.

Since the stand rule was introduced players seem to be allowed a bit of room off the line before they call play on.?

Not sure if this has been covered already.

Why was McDonald allowed to run off his line to the right when kicking after the siren.

Used to be play on. Pretty sure the ump was even explaining that he couldn’t do that before he had the kick.

Since the stand rule was introduced players seem to be allowed a bit of room off the line before they call play on.?
it was revised a few years ago, before the stand rule was introduced, to allow for the kicker's "natural arc". Basically, the AFL didn't want Buddy to be disadvantaged. There's still some constraints, though. I think they've got to kick over the mark?

Swans fans base contains a decent number of faux AFL supporters. Swans haven’t gone through a protracted lean period in terms of performance for a substantial period of time due to good management and a little bit of COLA, but if they did fall to the levels of North Melbourne then you’ll be able to house their fan base inside a tent…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back