Review Freo holds on against the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it was 50/50. Favoured us when we got going and favoured them when they got going. We got some soft calls, but towards the end they also ignored some blatant throws and blocks from Sydney.

End of the day, unless it’s a literal game deciding decision, it’s hard to complain about umpires when you have double the amount of FKs as the oppo
If you lose by under a goal, you are unlucky
If you win by under a goal, you are lucky

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Swans fans base contains a decent number of faux AFL supporters. Swans haven’t gone through a protracted lean period in terms of performance for a substantial period of time due to good management and a little bit of COLA, but if they did fall to the levels of North Melbourne then you’ll be able to house their fan base inside a tent…
Nah Swans are big enough in Sydney now even a few years in the bottom they have a strong enough base that it wont drop off that much.

AFL will give Swans prime-time slots that will bring in big crowds. And going to the SCG under lights is a great night out on a Friday or Saturday night.

I will never for the life of me understand why that was not HTB against Heeney when Darcy snaffled him up. Had prior, went the fend, thought he’d be able to sidestep him. Didn’t. Should have been a shot on goal for us.
I had no problem with it. Don’t think he had much prior at all

The non-HTB to Freddy inside 50 baffled me when he had the Sydney player dead to rights for a good 5 seconds but the ump doesn't blow the whistle and lets the Sydney player break free. I was under the impression they were supposed to be blowing the whistle quicker now.

I would be very happy with him winning the Brownlow this year.
Can’t see it. He was the best for the first 5-6 weeks but unfortunately only get maximum 3 votes v the 10 coaches MVP votes.
Then Gulden and Warner have come to the front. Wouldn’t be surprised if all 3 make top 5, but steal votes off each other at the wrong time.

Cripps will probably ease home given Carlton’s red hot form. Has no one to take votes off him.

Not sure if this has been covered already.

Why was McDonald allowed to run off his line to the right when kicking after the siren.

Used to be play on. Pretty sure the ump was even explaining that he couldn’t do that before he had the kick.

Since the stand rule was introduced players seem to be allowed a bit of room off the line before they call play on.?
Wouldn’t have the balls to call play on in that instance. The shanked kick made up for it.
What if that was Buddy? He was allowed to deviated quite a bit off the line.

Remember , if Freo had lost (or Drawn) the reason was not manning up on Blakely at that final throw in. So completely obvious.

I think they forgot the score line and the time remaining and setup as per normal to attack the ball from rucks. But at that time of game and trying to stop scoring it should have been man on man everywhere . Especially on a champion ball magnet like Blakely.

So umpires make mistakes . but it didnt impact a win or lose for either side.

WE had some great luck with the shanked kick. But need to look at 3rd qtr to work out how the sydeny players got so much run on versus the first 2 qtrs especially the first qtr

I am sure Justin as coach will not be thinking bad umpiring. he will discuss the 3rd qtr and that last minute in detail then move on with the players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah Swans are big enough in Sydney now even a few years in the bottom they have a strong enough base that it wont drop off that much.

AFL will give Swans prime-time slots that will bring in big crowds. And going to the SCG under lights is a great night out on a Friday or Saturday night.
Fair point.

I do admire how good Sydney have been with their list management over the last 20 years to keep themselves in the mix.

Remember , if Freo had lost (or Drawn) the reason was not manning up on Blakely at that final throw in. So completely obvious.

I think they forgot the score line and the time remaining and setup as per normal to attack the ball from rucks. But at that time of game and trying to stop scoring it should have been man on man everywhere . Especially on a champion ball magnet like Blakely.

So umpires make mistakes . but it didnt impact a win or lose for either side.

WE had some great luck with the shanked kick. But need to look at 3rd qtr to work out how the sydeny players got so much run on versus the first 2 qtrs especially the first qtr

I am sure Justin as coach will not be thinking bad umpiring. he will discuss the 3rd qtr and that last minute in detail then move on with the players
Yes, to be fair to Gary Lyon - who in my 2 doses of full replay gave appropriate kudos to Freo - he urged just prior to the Blakey grab that Freo needed to guard the back and “someone needs to be on Blakey!” Next thing you know…

It is nightmare recall territory but JL should be across it as you say.

Do what I loved. The celebration at the end of the game by Clark. He was going off. Really great to see the passion and hunger of the group.
Think partly because he was meant to man Blakely at that last stoppage but was too busy directing others lol ..

Let's see what he says on the poddy

seen discussion of this so here is the AFL rule

20.5.1 (b) where the Kick will occur after the siren, the Player shall be entitled to approach The Mark from any direction, as long as the location of the Kick does not improve the angle to the goal posts.

So basically the player can take an arc from one side or the other. but MUST kick over the MARK.

Starting your run in on the line of he mark and then heading to right or left on an Arc is not allowed. You must at all times kick over the MArk or it is playon

But hey umpires make mistakes. luckily they make less mistakes than players.

Coaches votes

Sydney Swans vs Fremantle

Nick Blakey (SYD)
Caleb Serong (FRE)
Nat Fyfe (FRE)
Andrew Brayshaw (FRE)
Jeremy Sharp (FRE)
Hayden McLean (SYD)
Josh Draper (FRE)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back