Review Freo holds on against the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Strange. Blakely was well beaten in the first half, i thought . Sturt mainly.
yesd blakey didnt need to win all 4 qtrs to get the votes . he was simply a key cog in the sydent turna around and almost singlehandedly won the match for them

As a coach voting for player.s you looking for whom had biggest individual impact on game

Fremantle did it as a team so would never get max vote from game

Brownlow votes may be a little different .

yesd blakey didnt need to win all 4 qtrs to get the votes . he was simply a key cog in the sydent turna around and almost singlehandedly won the match for them

As a coach voting for player.s you looking for whom had biggest individual impact on game

Fremantle did it as a team so would never get max vote from game

Brownlow votes may be a little different .
Maybe. Maybe 8 or something. Not sure I would give 10 votes to a player who was comprehensively beaten in the first half. Just me though. Brayshaw once got 10 votes even though he missed most targets by about 20 metres in that game. I wouldn't have given him that . Not that anyone cares.

In the second half. Comprehensively beaten in the first half. That is just recency bias.
He almost single-handedly won them the game. Serong was shut down in the last quarter. You saying he didn’t deserve votes bc he didn’t play four dominant quarters?

I reckon the player who seems to have flown under the radar but had a massive impact is Switta. His effort is uncoachable, his closing speed creates so much pressure on the opposition that he creates opportunities for turnovers. Maybe not immediately, but his pressure makes the opposition disposal sloppy, meaning the receiver is then under pressure, his disposal is pressured and a turnover comes. We don't have anyone else on the list really like him. He's really important to us.
I agree it is very important, and am hoping Cooper can replicate some aspects of what you are highlighting Switkowski produces.

AFL player ratings were:
Papley 24.0
Blakey 22.0 - 10 COACHES VOTES
Rowbottom 19.9
Young 16.9
Switta 16.9
Warner 16.4
McLean 16.4 - 1 COACHES VOTE
Johnson 15.3
Amiss 15.1
Fyfe 14.1 - 6 COACHES VOTES
Draper 13.5 - 1 COACHES VOTE
Serong 12.4 - 7 COACHES VOTES

Darcy 12.4
Melican 12.0
Treacy 11.8
Hayward 11.7
O'Meara 15.5
McInerney 10.8
Campbell 10.5
Rampe 10.0
Chapman 9.9
Lloyd 9.8
McCartin 9.1
Jackson 9.0
Heeney 8.2
Brayshaw 8.0 - 3 COACHES VOTES
Banfield 7.9
Ryan 7.7
Wagner 7.2
Sturt 6.1
Amartey 5.8
Gulden 5.5
Clark 5.4
Wicks 5.4
McDonald 4.8
Frederick 4.7
Adams 4.6
Sharp 4.5 - 2 COACHES VOTES
Florent 4.5
Grundy 4.4
Walker 4.3
Cleary 4.1
Cunningham 2.7
Davies 2.4
Aish 2.2
Jordan 1.9

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn’t Rowbottom recently proclaim “ No-one can beat us “ ?
We exposed them today.
Sean Darcy made such a difference compared to the last time we played them. I think the Swans would prefer most other finals bound teams to playing us as we match up well on them when everyone's fit and firing.

Players had good patches that were significant in giving that lead on the scoreboard and others brought something when we were hanging on for the win, but the baseline of a team effort of hard work and consistency was there for 4 quarters, even when the Swans started winning the contests and clearances.

Serong dominated the first half and then they put the Jordon tag on him which took a quarter before they could slow him down. Young cut them up with his kicking in the first half but he lost some player rating points (on least AFL fantasy where he got 37) mostly because he got 3 free kicks against for HTB.

Couldn't have won without the goals of Amiss, Sturt, Treacy, or the defending work of Ryan, Clark and Draper, and then there's Switkowski with his speed who gave us an edge with is chasing and tackling and link around the play.

Fyfe, Darcy, Johnson and Brayshaw were steady for 4 quarters.

Could have been any of about a dozen players on our side that could have got votes, but I do agree that Blakey was BOG. From memory the ABC radio votes from Jeff White went 3 Blakey 2 Sharp 1 Ryan

Oh hardly. Hardly sighted in the first half.Had good moments after half time.But far from BOG.
He had 15 touches to half time including 8 and 200 metres gained in the second. Maybe his influence was curbed a little in the first quarter (still had 7 touches). This only good after half time thing is not right though.

He had 15 touches to half time including 8 and 200 metres gained in the second. Maybe his influence was curbed a little in the first quarter (still had 7 touches). This only good after half time thing is not right though.
I am not a stats man. Never have been. I rely on what I see.
He like the others, Warner, Heeney and Gulden had no influence on the game in the first half.From my view.And only once, in the third quarter did Is ee those three string a line of posseions together. It resulted in a gaol
But, we all see things differently.

AFL player ratings were:
Papley 24.0
Blakey 22.0 - 10 COACHES VOTES
Rowbottom 19.9
Young 16.9
Switta 16.9
Warner 16.4
McLean 16.4 - 1 COACHES VOTE
Johnson 15.3
Amiss 15.1
Fyfe 14.1 - 6 COACHES VOTES
Draper 13.5 - 1 COACHES VOTE
Serong 12.4 - 7 COACHES VOTES

Darcy 12.4
Melican 12.0
Treacy 11.8
Hayward 11.7
O'Meara 15.5
McInerney 10.8
Campbell 10.5
Rampe 10.0
Chapman 9.9
Lloyd 9.8
McCartin 9.1
Jackson 9.0
Heeney 8.2
Brayshaw 8.0 - 3 COACHES VOTES
Banfield 7.9
Ryan 7.7
Wagner 7.2
Sturt 6.1
Amartey 5.8
Gulden 5.5
Clark 5.4
Wicks 5.4
McDonald 4.8
Frederick 4.7
Adams 4.6
Sharp 4.5 - 2 COACHES VOTES
Florent 4.5
Grundy 4.4
Walker 4.3
Cleary 4.1
Cunningham 2.7
Davies 2.4
Aish 2.2
Jordan 1.9
Where do you find these stats??

I am not a stats man. Never have been. I rely on what I see.
He like the others, Warner, Heeney and Gulden had no influence on the game in the first half.From my view.And only once, in the third quarter did Is ee those three string a line of posseions together. It resulted in a gaol
But, we all see things differently.
Warner, Heeney, and to a lesser extent Gulden, had no influence on the game in the first half yes. Hard to argue Blakey didn't and the coaches agree.

Warner, Heeney, and to a lesser extent Gulden, had no influence on the game in the first half yes. Hard to argue Blakey didn't and the coaches agree.
He certainly did influence the game from, in my eys, the half way mark of the third quarter.And it was a very bad blunder by a certain player that allowed him off the leash in that last ruck contest. Almost cost us the game.But I notice he put his hand up and owned up to his blue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back