Review Freo holds on against the Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

A third of the ball in his fingers, none of it in his palm.
as a former coach i would expect that to be held. but with so many syndey players closing in he probably felt rushed etc.

Was a bad decision by two players. Never kick to goal square unless only your player in it. Dont call for the ball while running toward goal sqaure.

Sadly for davies he prob was responding to the call from experience player. But i am sure the coach will remind him that even experience players make mistakes and when kicking from Defence go for the safest option - Either to a player in space or long down the line.

Honestly on replay the umpiring didn't seem that bad but ... McDonald clearly played on at the end.

Saw this screenshot analysing his technique - it's not even close. If he had scored then we probably spend the last 48 hours analysing the lack of play on call intently only for the AFL to be comfortable with the call.

View attachment 2036213
He was told he had to kick over the player on the mark. Another Fcup by the umpires.
Imagine the outcry if he had kicked a goal.

Last edited:
He technically could have got there because Wagner comes from 20m behind him and almost gets there. Wagner is the player 35m out on the boundary.

He then misreads the situation and starts heading left assuming it's a mark. There isn't a good angle of what happened next but I assume Davies slips because he ends up on the ground.
You're right the ball took longer to come back in play than I immediately recalled (it ended up right by the behind post) and the reason why Wagner got there first is Davies somehow contrived to fall over (God knows how, fell victim to trying to execute a comedy double take whilst moving in the opposite direction?).

Not sure about the excusing Clark for it being too high. On the reply it was loopyish kick and it just looks like he misjudged the fall of the ball and leaped under it a bit.

as a former coach i would expect that to be held.

I'll take your word on that.

I just disagree and I think if I put a large bet on any of your players ability to catch a ball at full leap and speed in just their fingers that I would win every single time.

I think if I dangled a ball by a string that would easily break, but suspended at full leap and reach height, so this ball isn't moving - then directed your players to run and leap at it with spiked balls taped to the palms so they can't use them - that they wouldn't be able to take possession of the ball in a clean grab.

I'll take your word on that.

I just disagree and I think if I put a large bet on any of your players ability to catch a ball at full leap and speed in just their fingers that I would win every single time.

I think if I dangled a ball by a string that would easily break, but suspended at full leap and reach height, so this ball isn't moving - then directed your players to run and leap at it with spiked balls taped to the palms so they can't use them - that they wouldn't be able to take possession of the ball in a clean grab.
all good, just depends how much hand strength they have.

Andrew Brayshaw reveals how Fremantle planned to take down Sydney’s star-studded midfield​

Can you stop all of Errol Gulden, Chad Warner and Isaac Heeney in the same midfield? Justin Longmuir and the Dockers proved it’s possible. ELIZA REILLY reveals the stunning numbers behind the strategy.

3 min read
July 2, 2024 - 10:05AM
https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/f.../68e52be7c97d4c813e249c641e57db7e#share-tools
Fremantle stand-in captain Andrew Brayshaw says that the Dockers will continue to adapt their midfield approach dependent on their opposition after a sacrificial display delivered a season-defining win against Sydney.
Boasting the best clearance differential in the AFL this season, Fremantle has backed in its midfield more often than not this season. But it hasn’t always been to the Dockers’ benefit and they were criticised heavily a fortnight ago for letting Western Bulldogs captain Marcus Bontempelli run free.
Against Sydney, Fremantle was deliberately more defensive than usual. Swans trio Errol Gulden, Chad Warner and Isaac Heeney are widely considered to be the incumbent All-Australian midfield. But against the Dockers, all three failed to produce at the same level the AFL has come to expect from them this season.
Fremantle won the clearance count 42-32 but Brayshaw (24 disposals), Caleb Serong (23) and Hayden Young (17) all racked up less footy than their current season averages. But collectively, they stifled Sydney’s star trio.
Nat Fyfe tagged Heeney. Jeremy Sharp was sent to Gulden. And Serong got some extra attention in the second half but used it to his advantage.
[PLAYERCARD]Chad Warner[/PLAYERCARD] tackles Nat Fyfe during Fremantle’s win on Saturday. Picture: Brett Costello

Chad Warner tackles Nat Fyfe during Fremantle’s win on Saturday. Picture: Brett Costello

“You look around the ground, we had a number of guys that wanted to help the team win no matter what,” Brayshaw said. “There were a number of guys that played a really selfless role.
“No one dominated but we had 22 guys play their role for the team.
“Each team that we come up against is a little bit different. Sydney have had a few players that have been really influential in the few weeks before playing against us.
“We’ll analyse each midfield as they come. There’s a few teams that have a number of players that are really dominant.
“It’s Joel Corey’s decision whether we have a run-with role or whether we back ourselves in. No matter what he and JL decide to do, we don’t mind what we do as a midfield. We just want to get the win.
“We had Sharpy doing a bit of work on (Errol) Gulden. Caleb had a run-with in the second half and was blocking and trying to open up space for other midfielders. Fyfey did his job nullifying Heeney.”

Errol Gulden v Fremantle​

Half-time statsFull-time statsSeason average
Disposals72128
Uncontested possessions51519.7
Metres gained40240603.4
Marks136.3
Score involvements288.1

Chad Warner v Fremantle​

Disposals72323.9
Clearances153.9
Inside 50s245.6
Metres gained138412456.5
Score involvements177.8

Isaac Heeney v Fremantle​

Disposals62025.9
Clearances166.5
Inside 50s145.2
Metres gained90281430.4
Score involvements178.5

Brodie Grundy v Fremantle​

Disposals31319.9
Clearances115.1
Hitouts112832.2
Hitouts to advantage 79.8
Score involvements166.4

Brayshaw was particularly full of praise for Fyfe given the veteran has copped criticism this year for his perceived lack of impact.
“He’s been quite selfless in the way he’s gone about it (all year),” Brayshaw said. “All he cares about is us winning and if that means he has to play a role where he might not have 30 touches but he nullifies someone like Heeney on the weekend, it’s a big tick.
“We’re always looking at vision of him trying to block for guys and give them time and space and communicating. It would’ve been pretty rattling for Heeney for Fyfey to go to him but that’s the way he’s been playing.
“He’s been one of the best players in the competition this year. We needed to send someone to him and we thought Fyfey matched up really well on him.”

The Dockers also feel as though they’re starting to get the best out of Sean Darcy and Luke Jackson with the ruck pairing stringing the past five games together. While some viewed Jackson as the better match-up against Brodie Grundy due to his athleticism and impact around the ground, Darcy attended 68 ruck contests and effectively quelled the Swans star, highlighted by a memorable 30m spoil in the second half.

“We feel like our connection with them both is only growing,” Brayshaw said. “That connection between both of those two has grown significantly from round one.
“We needed Dogga forward on the weekend. We thought we matched up best with him there. Sean knew he had to take on a big role playing ruck.”
Brayshaw is set to hand over the captaincy reigns to co-vice captain Caleb Serong ahead of Fremantle’s clash with Richmond on Saturday.

Remember , if Freo had lost (or Drawn) the reason was not manning up on Blakely at that final throw in. So completely obvious.

I think they forgot the score line and the time remaining and setup as per normal to attack the ball from rucks. But at that time of game and trying to stop scoring it should have been man on man everywhere . Especially on a champion ball magnet like Blakely.

So umpires make mistakes . but it didnt impact a win or lose for either side.

WE had some great luck with the shanked kick. But need to look at 3rd qtr to work out how the sydeny players got so much run on versus the first 2 qtrs especially the first qtr

I am sure Justin as coach will not be thinking bad umpiring. he will discuss the 3rd qtr and that last minute in detail then move on with the players
Need to address the kick ins during late periods of games.
Why the incessant to go long to the corridor side of the wing rather then try and get it close to boundary line. Force a stoppage

Need to address the kick ins during late periods of games.
Why the incessant to go long to the corridor side of the wing rather then try and get it close to boundary line. Force a stoppage

I would enjoy reading about how the corridor side of the wing kick opens more scoring options than the risk of that kick costs in scores against.

I'll try and watch how we structure between the kick out and the ball landing for those kicks, I suspect we are already set up to defend the turnover there or begin a handball chain for one of those fast rebounds to our own goal.

seen discussion of this so here is the AFL rule

20.5.1 (b) where the Kick will occur after the siren, the Player shall be entitled to approach The Mark from any direction, as long as the location of the Kick does not improve the angle to the goal posts.

So basically the player can take an arc from one side or the other. but MUST kick over the MARK.

Starting your run in on the line of he mark and then heading to right or left on an Arc is not allowed. You must at all times kick over the MArk or it is playon

But hey umpires make mistakes. luckily they make less mistakes than players.
The whole season has been marred by bad umpiring not just our games , you come across like an AFL sycophant.

The whole season has been marred by bad umpiring not just our games , you come across like an AFL sycophant.
no idea what you mean. i have posted many times Umpires make mistakes. They are human,

But i dont complain about umpires or blame them for losses. When the umpires make more mistakes than players then i will change my complaints

When i coached and the players came off grumbling about umpires i had to remind them of this and queitly take them aside and speak of any errors they made. and then work on those areas of thier game

Hey i understand one eyed ness. it is part of sport.

Go look at any forum on here for other teams they think they all hard done by umpires

So they cant all be right. and probably most likely wrong.

I dont beleive the AFL has a cons[iarcy against Non-Victorian teams or against Fremantle in particular.
I do accept some umpires may have personal reasons for a bias. it coudl be agaisnt certain players of for certain players. but that not the AFL as a whole. it is being as human

The kick is one thing. The lack of follow up effort to try and redeem himself is more disappointing imo. I haven’t rewatched it, but from my memory he was no where near the guy trying to smother the ball, where Wagner has ran and dived in to try and stop it.

If anyone knows the timestamp I’d like to see it again.

You’re correct

Honestly on replay the umpiring didn't seem that bad but ... McDonald clearly played on at the end.

Saw this screenshot analysing his technique - it's not even close. If he had scored then we probably spend the last 48 hours analysing the lack of play on call intently only for the AFL to be comfortable with the call.

View attachment 2036213
Pretty sure the umpire stood behind McDonald to watch him and still allowed it.

It happens all day long in regular play, I just thought you couldn’t do it after the siren. Although I think I have seen it allowed when you are outside the boundary after the siren.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Making them pay a fair price does the same thing, the fact GC could effectively trade down one top 10 pick to draft 3 players in the 1st round is the straw that broke the camel’s back for the rest of the teams.
Why not just allow bids to be matched for academy or NGA in any round as long as you match it with a bid from the same round.

means you have to hang on to a pick in each round potentially.
Take it a step further and allow matching with a bid from the same round but you can take it from the next year also. Helps if you have multiple kids to match or don’t have a pick in the relevant round this year.

Just an idea without looking at the ramifications closely.

Pretty sure the umpire stood behind McDonald to watch him and still allowed it.

It happens all day long in regular play, I just thought you couldn’t do it after the siren. Although I think I have seen it allowed when you are outside the boundary after the siren.
Look honestly it's one of those things like running too far, a shove in the back in a marking contest and illegal shepherding.

It's just called once in a blue moon and you hope it isn't against your team.

In saying that I've never seen them call play on after the siren from a set shot. I think they are too scared too.

The AFL always gives you the last 2 minutes to analyse in a close game. I'm sure there's lot's of mistakes there. I'm not sure what else Clark could do on the defensive side of the contest as Blakey bursts through.

The thing that I can't comprehend is Josh Treacy. What happens?

This is just before Brayshaw gets our last score with a kick that hits the post, but it's not clear it has already been touched on the way through.

And just before that is Draper's contest win on the wing where he punts it back towards the top of the square and you can see a Swans defender making contact with Treacy well before the ball is in the zone.

Possible interference there, or Treacy just loses his feet, but you can see he goes to ground- and the camerawork is shoddy, so the next vision you see is that Grundy can't hold an uncontested mark above his head in one grab - I would suggest this being a consequence of the hit that Banfield gave him a few minutes earlier in the game that hurt him when he landed on the ground - and this is all playing out in the space of about 1 second, and you see Treacy who you assume is on the ground flying into the picture again snatching the ball with two hands before Grundy can get a second bite.

I think it’s a dead ball if it comes off hands.

It is a dead ball if it comes off the hand of a player on the kicking team. In the JOM situation it would have been a dead ball because it becomes another phase of play once it comes off hands and doesn't go through for a rushed behind.

It is a dead ball if it comes off the hand of a player on the kicking team. In the JOM situation it would have been a dead ball because it becomes another phase of play once it comes off hands and doesn't go through for a rushed behind.
That's my understanding too.

I just might be super cynical but I don't know if I have faith in umpires to make that call in the heat of the moment, nor the score review to be accurate.

Rule 15.5.2 states that if a ball is touched after siten sounds and crosses the score line it is a behind provided the attacking side does not help it across the line .

So if Omera had allowed the ball to cross the line it would be a draw
If that's the case then I think the ball was dead from the pack of players touching it. McCartin knocks it towards the goal line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back