Autopsy Freo outclassed by Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Not bothered to go back through Kayo to time stamp it but two moments summed it up or me.

The first quarter miskick from Pearce to Johnson in the defensive 50. If you watch that, you’ll see Johnson starts unmarked near the centre square, runs forward and across. Opportunity to open up the game wasted but not pulling the trigger earlier and eventually wasting the crap kick.

Second quarter, Freo kick after out of bounds on the full about 70 metres out, right half forward flank. Absolutely zero movement from anyone in the forward 50, so just gets bombed in. Crap football.

All our backs caught ball watching or directing other players, losing awareness of their direct opponents and allowing easy leads - marks - goals. Some were at worse times than others, but all seemed guilty of it.
We desperately miss Chapmen playing on the third tall allowing Cox/Ryan/Young to play loose interception marking role.
I would bring in Hamling or Draper as a lock down defender to allow this to happen.

Hard to read too much into it, Brisbane will go deep into the finals and we’re a team without a forward line and a midfield that is one dimensional.

What a bleeping gift Ashcroft is to a team already strong! Can freo fans one day dream of being do lucky ?! We’re almost the opposite, handicapping ourselves in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to read too much into it, Brisbane will go deep into the finals and we’re a team without a forward line and a midfield that is one dimensional.

What a bleeping gift Ashcroft is to a team already strong! Can freo fans one day dream of being do lucky ?! We’re almost the opposite, handicapping ourselves in the draft.

I think the fwd line lacks a quality target..but the midfield and defence are just as bad.

I think the overlap handball run is better than slow kicks down the wing. At least it’s a start.

Just lacking so much confidence and poise.
What if Amiss takes a chest mark in the first 30 seconds and slots it. What if Young kicks a running goal from a chain of handballs shortly after. We're two goals up and off to a good start for the first time in ever.
Just never had momentum after that.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

-ve's

Lions

Scores from stoppage +45

Marks +34

Ground Balls +28

Inside 50’s +20

Contested Possessions +21

Clearances +17

We were uncompetitive bar some brief moments in the third quarter.

I think the fwd line lacks a quality target..but the midfield and defence are just as bad.

I think the overlap handball run is better than slow kicks down the wing. At least it’s a start.

Amiss is a quality target.
There’s two issues:

The ball keeps going the other first and we’re so dog shit at ball
Movement that the other team clogs things up.

Second is they won’t hit the leading target. When they do kick to him usually they miss it. Or they refuse to pull the trigger and kick bull shit high balls to the pocket

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amiss is a quality target.
There’s two issues:

The ball keeps going the other first and we’re so dog s**t at ball
Movement that the other team clogs things up.

Second is they won’t hit the leading target. When they do kick to him usually they miss it. Or they refuse to pull the trigger and kick bull s**t high balls to the pocket

My memory might be wrong but I think there were a couple of good examples in the last quarter - Switta kicks over our leading forward’s head by 3m, and Brayshaw doesn’t even try to hit a forward, instead lobbing the 3/4 lob pass that never works.
Those 2 sum up our forward entries.
I’m surprised every time when we lower the eyes and execute a short pass to a leading forward.

Mate. Spend your valuable time with your family and friends. Don’t do it to yourself, your health is more important.

Dont get me wrong, it's a bad game all round. But there were some highlights. We kicked 10 goals today.

Anything is better than that Round 15 , 2009 game vs the crows when we kicked 1.7.13

Freo without a forward line? I don't know what you were watching.

Switkowski and Jaeger O Meara at least kicked 2 goals each

It's a bit annoying to hear JLo subbed Sturt off.

You would think him kicking two goals in two minutes last week would have shown that if you leave guys with genuine forward craft on they can have an impact even if they're having a quiet day til then.

And that's even before considering that we pretty much should be in development mode for the rest of the season, and getting minutes into Sturt could be far more valuable than yet more gametime for someone like Banfield. Same deal with Amiss getting subbed the other week. Just get minutes into the guys who could improve us going forward.

My memory might be wrong but I think there were a couple of good examples in the last quarter - Switta kicks over our leading forward’s head by 3m, and Brayshaw doesn’t even try to hit a forward, instead lobbing the 3/4 lob pass that never works.
Those 2 sum up our forward entries.
I’m surprised every time when we lower the eyes and execute a short pass to a leading forward.

Yep compared to top teams delivery into forwards is shit..even if you have Cameron or Curnow in team they still kick it over their heads or ignore leads..Mundy was only one consistently could

All our backs caught ball watching or directing other players, losing awareness of their direct opponents and allowing easy leads - marks - goals. Some were at worse times than others, but all seemed guilty of it.
We desperately miss Chapmen playing on the third tall allowing Cox/Ryan/Young to play loose interception marking role.
I would bring in Hamling or Draper as a lock down defender to allow this to happen.
Pearce is guilty of this. Always pointing and being aware of the ground.
Hamling can be okay. Hughes should go back and have Worner in as a winger.
Worse thing about the club is refusal to play numbers behind the ball to stop the goals. The game is too open, and Pearce/Cox are getting smashed

You would think him kicking two goals in two minutes last week would have shown that if you leave guys with genuine forward craft on they can have an impact even if they're having a quiet day til then.

And that's even before considering that we pretty much should be in development mode for the rest of the season, and getting minutes into Sturt could be far more valuable than yet more gametime for someone like Banfield. Same deal with Amiss getting subbed the other week. Just get minutes into the guys who could improve us going forward.
Yeah it was ****en stupid.

Yeah he hadn't had much scoreboard impact to that point but he is always more likely to create something than ****en Banfield.

The 2nd behind he kicked, when's the last time you've seen anyone in our fwd line read a ruck tap perfectly and burst through with speed to create an opportunity? Maybe Switta 2 years ago?

It's ok..more than likely Stubbs probably omitted this week, banners goes to sub and Corbett in..😬

Got around to watching most of this last night and concur, the gameplan's shifted but our players' skills are not there. Reminds me of us under Lyon 2016-17.
We must be the worst groundball team in the league

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Freo outclassed by Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back