News Freo Trade Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

First round KP, then rookie mature age forward with a proven record. We have to get serious about our kp stocks, look at Geelong
with Pods. We really dont have a choice.

Where are we going to get one of them?
The only good ones in the SANFL are on the Crows list already in McIntyre, Jenkins and Johnstone.
WAFL - Lee has already made his way to St Kilda.
VFL - I have no idea whats out there?

Where are we going to get one of them?
The only good ones in the SANFL are on the Crows list already in McIntyre, Jenkins and Johnstone.
WAFL - Lee has already made his way to St Kilda.
VFL - I have no idea whats out there?

I think the one most discussed is Khan Haretuku (Frankston): The 199cm and 101kg key forward first picked up a football at 15, after which St Kilda picked him up as a NSW scholarship player. At Frankston he's taken time to develop, but his strong work ethic has served him well. Now 22, he's a strong-marking player with a thumping kick.

I think the one most discussed is Khan Haretuku (Frankston): The 199cm and 101kg key forward first picked up a football at 15, after which St Kilda picked him up as a NSW scholarship player. At Frankston he's taken time to develop, but his strong work ethic has served him well. Now 22, he's a strong-marking player with a thumping kick.

Ross Lyon delisted him. Rumour has it he isnt a big fan of RTB.

Any figures on how many he has kicked in recent years?

Now that Hansen and Gumby are heading elsewhere Mitch Brown is probably the last target left and even he isn't really a big KPF. I think our best bet is trying to trade with GWS for picks 12 or 13 with some of our mature players like Ibbo and co. If we could grab two first round picks it'd be ideal...

Do we have any interest in Lucas Cook, assuming he gets delisted?
Jai Sheahan has also been delisted by Melbourne much to the surprise of many. He 195cm and showed a lot of promise in the VFL apparently. Looks like Cook and he squeezed out by Dawes and Pedersen.
We should get into Jai ibn a big way.

Pavlich will always get the best defender, but with our forward line rotations, this is where we can hurt the opposition. If we draft a Tall,
power forward type, I would rookie list someone for the short term, who can play next year. Sydney picked up Morten, and he did his job, I would get Saunders to train with the club, like Lee did last year.

We need a few KPP but do we really want to use a tape measure as our recruiting tool and sift through the garbage of other teams?
Just what I was thinking. We don't just need a KPF of a certain size, but (i) one with a strong contested mark, (ii) brains to lead well and get into space and hold the forward structure, (iii) and a good kick on goal. This person must be able to take a McPharlin type defender (though can't be as good as Elvis of course) if Pav is resting or not playing and more often than not beat them or at least break even with a couple of goals. Otherwise they will quickly get dropped from the 22 anyway and just take up space on the list JA style.

In 2012 Keplar and Clarke showed they were (i) reasonably good at contested marking, but Keplar though (ii) great at positioning himself to free up Pav and give the forwardline structure (iii) missed goal after goal. Clarke whilst (iii) not a bad kick on goals seemed to (ii) affect the structure and when he played in Keplar's place, Pav usually ended up double teamed and struggled to kick goals. We need someone with all (i) (ii) and (iii) attributes who can hold his own and have an impact on the scoreboard in the absence of Pav, but assist Pav when he's there to keep the monkeys off his back by creating a good dual big man attack (i hate to say it but Darling showed in 2012 that he can do all three at 191cm and is still quite young, as did Hawkins).

Personally I'm hoping Mora learns and fills this role for us with Suma's teaching when he gets back as we don't really need him in the middle now and it might put less pressure on his knees. However, the draft may be our best bet. Surely by our first pick and maybe second there will be a KPF who can be good at (i) (ii) and (iii) at AFL level. Most other teams seem to have picked them up all right; can't see why we can't too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pavlich will always get the best defender, but with our forward line rotations, this is where we can hurt the opposition. If we draft a Tall,
power forward type, I would rookie list someone for the short term, who can play next year. Sydney picked up Morten, and he did his job, I would get Saunders to train with the club, like Lee did last year.
fat lot of good that did.
he should have been our last rookie pick last year.

Both played in the premiership winning teams for WAFL/VFL as KPP. Similar heights, Lee was used entirely as a forward, Brown switched between forward and defense. Lee is physically more mature and stronger and (up until the GF itself) has been injury free so is a safer bet. Many freo fans were hoping we picked Lee up last year as a rookie but that ship has sailed.

Lee is def. a more sure bet key forward, history shows anyone as successful as he has been as a forward in the WAFL will do well at AFL level.
History has done the exact opposite, otherwise AFL teams would be cleaning up all of the state leagues key forwards every year.

Look no further than Lee's predecessors at Claremont in Beau Wilkes & Chad Jones.

None of these players from the lower leagues are going to be superstars, but can fill in and do the job, better than Houghton, Sibosido, Bucuvaz, Drum. Give them a chance is all Im saying, At least they can dominate Wafl footy, isnt this
what the rookie list is for?

Just what I was thinking. We don't just need a KPF of a certain size, but (i) one with a strong contested mark, (ii) brains to lead well and get into space and hold the forward structure, (iii) and a good kick on goal. ...

In 2012 Keplar and Clarke showed they were (i) reasonably good at contested marking, but Keplar though (ii) great at positioning himself to free up Pav and give the forwardline structure (iii) missed goal after goal. Clarke whilst (iii) not a bad kick on goals seemed to (ii) affect the structure and when he played in Keplar's place, Pav usually ended up double teamed and struggled to kick goals.

Excellent analysis of the Kep/Clarke conundrum, and what I think it shows is that playing Kep over Clarke was the right choice, because even though he was missing his own shots on goal, he was at least freeing up Pav to kick his. The selection for the Adelaide final was frustrating for this reason; even though Pav was injured, he still would have had better opportunities if Kep had played instead of Clarke.

And while of course we need to recruit a key forward, we need to recruit an excellent one, not some thereabouts guy - we already have two of them. The question is, over the offseason, can we get Kep's kicking mojo back, or teach Clarke to lead and move as a forward?

None of these players from the lower leagues are going to be superstars, but can fill in and do the job, better than Houghton, Sibosido, Bucuvaz, Drum. Give them a chance is all Im saying, At least they can dominate Wafl footy, isnt this
what the rookie list is for?

Which is fine but posts that basically say...

"[Team X] has just delisted [insert scrubs name here] and he's [insert height that is over 190cm here]. Is he any good?"

...were just starting to infuriate me I guess.

I'm gald you're not recruiting for us then because that doesn't make sense. A tall scrub is still a scrub.

What are you on about? I wasn't advocating it, I was saying we are in this situation because we need a KPF and yet we seemingly can't trade to get a decent one.
Stuffed up with Clark, missed Cloke (at least we tried) and now apparently can't or won't get the next tier down like Hansen.
If by the end of next week we have got no one decent in, what do you think will happen? I reckon Bond might pick up a discarded "scrub" as a FA but if he does that will say more about his ability to trade with the big boys then it says about his skills as a list manager.

What are you on about? I wasn't advocating it, I was saying we are in this situation because we need a KPF and yet we seemingly can't trade to get a decent one.
Stuffed up with Clark, missed Cloke (at least we tried) and now apparently can't or won't get the next tier down like Hansen.
If by the end of next week we have got no one decent in, what do you think will happen? I reckon Bond might pick up a discarded "scrub" as a FA but if he does that will say more about his ability to trade with the big boys then it says about his skills as a list manager.
We didn't stuff up with Clark. He wanted the money and we didn't want to pay it. Yes the trade could have been done on Day 1 before Melbourne got involved, but that would have meant us losing our first pick and probably our second pick also. That's what Brisbane wanted early in the piece. By the time Brisbane and Freo came closer, Schwabby had already stuck his nose in.

What you appear to be advocating is "trade for need, despite the price". I'm glad you don't shop for my household.

From all reports Hansen approached us, not the other way round (prob to increase his contract with North). Gumby has had a medical and there is still a week to go for trades
Cloke - tried and lost
Clark - sniped by Melbourne (I personally agree with the decision not to match)

Remove this Banner Ad

News Freo Trade Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back