Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2004
My opinion and Daffodils
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool Lockleys FC
Lucky to win in the end.Flat in the last term missing set shots
and i said after the Geelong we are looking tired and was shot down in flames.Last 2 weeks against not very good sides set up the win and then just hang on.

Maybe we have been doing hard yards on the track or extra work ????

Or maybe its time to stop so many rotations and let these guys settle down in postions.

We got the 4 points but there are just as many questions to be answered after 2 wins as there would be after 2 losses.

Shocking fadeout again, also disappointed that Knights didn't get more than a minute on the field.

But we'll have to put in a 4 quarter performance against the Doggies next week.

PerthCrow said:
I just said on the Gameday board that NC must be flogging the boys on the track in expectation of finals fitness. Looking at the block of 3 games ..Fremantle, Hawthorn and the Bulldogs it would be the right block of games to do it

hope you are correct

Terrible performance once again. What was the point of playing Chris Knights if he's only on for about 10 minutes? Ben Hart's decision making is a worry, Ian Perrie should be dropped. Best players in my opinion were McLeod, Goodwin, Rutten, Edwards.

Drummond said:
Terrible performance once again. What was the point of playing Chris Knights if he's only on for about 10 minutes? Ben Hart's decision making is a worry, Ian Perrie should be dropped. Best players in my opinion were McLeod, Goodwin, Rutten, Edwards.

How about Kenny McGregor? He was clearly BOG IMO.

Drummond said:
Terrible performance once again. What was the point of playing Chris Knights if he's only on for about 10 minutes?
As a coach NC mut first win the game then look at player development. The best 18 will win the game, then once NC feels the game is in control he can introduce new players. I felt once Adelaide got 31 points up Knights should get a go. He did..but then the fadeout happened and the best 18 needed to be on the ground to win the game

McLeodMagic said:
Shocking fadeout again, also disappointed that Knights didn't get more than a minute on the field.
But we'll have to put in a 4 quarter performance against the Doggies next week.

I'll say more later (too angry right now) but I totally agree with this point. What's the point of bringing a kid in when all gets is 10 minutes on the field, if that?

He gave a great crumbing handball to Kenny, setting up a goal, but didn't come on at all after that. Really disappointing choice by Craigy. Give the kid a chance!

Craigy might say we're playing safe football, but that was safe coaching by Craigy (who also have The Count about half the gametime he got last week mind you). :mad:

I agree with Perth Crow about Knights. We were playing for second spot, it was clear that NC brought out Knights when he felt the game was pretty much won. When it started to look shaky again, it's smart to bring out your best 18. No doubt, Knights will slowly start to get more gametime.

POSITIVES:

4 Points,

Macca 2nd half was sensational,

Kenny - 13 marks, what a game,

Goody, Trent, Rutts, Burton - Good,

NEGATIVES:

4th quarter fade out, AGAIN,

Reilly, VB, Knights - And the point of taking Knights was ?? I will be spewing if Knights gets dropped next week and Skipworth come straight back in.

Disappointed with another fade out, and the first quarter was VERY frustrating... oh well, at least we came away with a win, so can't complain too much! :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SpringChoke said:
POSITIVES:

4 Points,

Macca 2nd half was sensational,

Kenny - 13 marks, what a game,

Goody, Trent, Rutts, Burton - Good,

NEGATIVES:

4th quarter fade out, AGAIN,

Reilly, VB, Knights - And the point of taking Knights was ?? I will be spewing if Knights gets dropped next week and Skipworth come straight back in.

Agree with all those points.

I know what PerthCrow is saying, but in that 3rd quarter when we were dominating, Knights should have at least got 10-15mins on the ground. Instead he got about 2. Unforgivable. :mad:

The Count got screwed around as well. Made some mistakes but his attack on the ball was clearly evident and that has to be rewarded.

Reilly was actually pretty good when he was on - only made a few disposal errors but played a neat and tidy game IMO. Still deserves more gametime.

SpringChoke said:
I will be spewing if Knights gets dropped next week and Skipworth come straight back in.

Most likely happen.

VB still young i know but made some pretty crucial errors in defence. He'll learn but totally agree with Knights. Poor kid can't be judged on form if he doesn't get the minutes to play.

A frustrating game, but at least we won. That is the main thing, but yeah - these fade outs are a concern and we do need to address it before it bites us fair on the bum.

k
xx

AlwaysCrows said:
Most likely happen.

VB still young i know but made some pretty crucial errors in defence. He'll learn but totally agree with Knights. Poor kid can't be judged on form if he doesn't get the minutes to play.

I actually reckon The Count was alright when he was on.

As you mentioned he made some mistakes but they weren't astronomical. One was a deflected handpass and the other was a push in the back against the Coleman medalist.

His attack on the ball at least put a smile on my face.

PerthCrow said:
I just said on the Gameday board that NC must be flogging the boys on the track in expectation of finals fitness. Looking at the block of 3 games ..Fremantle, Hawthorn and the Bulldogs it would be the right block of games to do it

I agree. I think he has flogged them over the break and that is why they are a bit flat. It's all to do with finals fitness.

I dont have the stats in front of me, but from memory we always come back from the break a bit flat. Especially in the years when we have played finals.

We almost always seem to come back from the break playing well in bursts and then falling away. We have gotten away with it the past two weeks. I remember a game against Collingwood at home where we didnt get away with it. We need to sort this out pretty quickly.

At least we haven't wasted much good football on the Hawks. We played well for about 20 minutes and managed to get over the line, we'll take that.

The Hawks are tough to beat down there- WC only got up by 2 goals against them earlier in the season- and we are clearly struggling. So to get the win was most important.

Fact is, we're not actually that good, so we're going to have peaks and troughs during the year; our form will be up and down, particularly with our younger brigade.

Of course we'd love to play great 4-quarter footy all year, but the fact we've been able to win a couple without playing anywhere near our best, has to be somewhat pleasing.

Not a convincing win at all, but will take the points. Playing one good quarter of football but still winning is kind of frustrating. We wont be able to do this against the better sides so we need to work this out. And we definitely wont win during the finals if we play like we did today.

I guess we take the win and look forward to next week......

i agree about knights, time for NC to grow some balls and back the guy in, otherwise dont select him. 1 min iin the third quarter has done nothing in his development. He did the same with Reilly and VB earlier this year. When knights was actually on he set up a goal, so not sure why he wasnt included in the rotations.

LiaLovesRoo32 said:
Not a convincing win at all, but will take the points. Playing one good quarter of football but still winning is kind of frustrating. We wont be able to do this against the better sides so we need to work this out. And we definitely wont win during the finals if we play like we did today.

I guess we take the win and look forward to next week......

As I mentioned in another post....we have played pretty good footy all year and so to have a bit of a form slump and still get away with the points is excellent. Craigy wouldn't be overly unhappy, even though he looked it. He is managing this team now to be up for the finals and so a flogging on the track for a few weeks may result in last quarter fadeouts. Also, you can't discouint the fact that we have played a couple of dodgy sides who tend to drag the opposition down into a scrappy game.....we have managed to rise up enough to blow the game open. You will find that when we play the better sides who play free running footy (next week), then we play our best footy as well.

I think we are in a pretty good position, and if we can get through next week unscathed, Craigy will have a very hardened and fit side capable of out running most teams. I actually think that we are underestimating how far this side can go.

birdmanptr said:
Good effort but need more than 2 goals from so many marks.

They where too far away from goal. Marks like that are pointless. He needed to take them ten metres closer to goal from where he was. It was poor coaching by NC today, i'm not sre how many times we have to play biglands as a forward until they work out he aint one. Only good thing was we were able to turn it around, and virtually blow them out the water in the 3rd, with ayres we would have been in a scrap all day i tend to think.

outback jack said:
i agree about knights, time for NC to grow some balls and back the guy in, otherwise dont select him. 1 min iin the third quarter has done nothing in his development. He did the same with Reilly and VB earlier this year. When knights was actually on he set up a goal, so not sure why he wasnt included in the rotations.
Jack NC has made the right calls most of this year - his assessment of players readiness for AFL and how to introduce them is somewhat more astute than us.

He brought Bock in and gave him roles most suggested was a crazy decision - result - tick to Craig.

The same with Rutten

The fact he has decided to really have Knights looking from the bench, experiencing not only the team build up but the traveling routine, is bad?????

Craig has probably thought the pressure of first game, travel and understanding the AFC gameplan, was maybe a bit too much - besides we do not understand how nervous the kid may have been - his next opportunity he'll be much more relaxed.

I think he introduced Van Berlo the same way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game against hawks wash up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back