Autopsy Game is long over, Swans were putrid

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder if some of the contract stuff drove a wedge between the players. A side that has the talent to go 12-1 doesn't get beat by 112 points unless there's something seriously wrong behind the scenes.
Well said mate.
There’s been a pretty clear line in the sand that has been drawn between our best and the filth that we have dished up recently. The lack of effort and care is day and night between the two. My thinking is that there has been some sort of fracture behind the scenes. Just a hunch.

This was taken out of context, what he meant was... No. One will beat us (each week).

I know

I was waiting for Horses presser but **** it

olympics time

My last thought is as unlikely as it seems we gave ourselves space .

Unless Brisbane or Freo both lose it's basically no space at all left, but the club has given itself a chance to turn it around

let's see

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We actually bounced back that year. Smashed Hawthorn at the SCG two weeks later, beat Freo in Perth, smashed the Bulldogs in Kirk's final SCG game, beat Brisbane convincingly, won a final and were a kick away from a prelim.

Can't imagine that kind of form turnaround this year.

I’m with you sadly. I know we have a few out but I can’t remember ever seeing a Swans team give up like this. In the 2014 GF no-one was beating the Hawks that day and in the 2022 GF we were overawed, but this was putrid. Questions need to be asked of everyone at the club.

A neutral posting here peacefully.

Ironically fortuitous lack of injury and incredible stretch of wins for most of the season meant less opportunity for your depth to be tested. It's inevitable that form does fluctuate during the long season. It's always better to ascend this time of the season like Hawks and Bulldogs.

I wondered if Longmire was going to change things around or manufacture 'challenges' when the Swans were unbeatable to avoid peaking too early. Tinker like Bevo does. TBF, it's hard to justify changing things around when you are winning.

It took Giants a while to turn it around this season due to injuries. I hope you guys rediscover your form quickly.

Well said mate.
There’s been a pretty clear line in the sand that has been drawn between our best and the filth that we have dished up recently. The lack of effort and care is day and night between the two. My thinking is that there has been some sort of fracture behind the scenes. Just a hunch.
Unfortunately I think you’re right.

The performance tonight looked like a team playing without spirit.

Which is a complete 180 from 6 weeks ago.

Is there something going on behind the scenes? Not sure - but it was hard to avoid the suspicion tonight.

Im a bit numb after that.

Last year when we played Geelong down there after getting walloped in the Grand Final, you expected us to come out breathing fire. We didn’t. Injuries were used as an excuse.

After last weeks disgraceful performance, you’d expect a response and the response to be even worse than I thought was possible.

I don’t have any answers, and I can guarantee the coaching staff definitely don’t, given the decisions they have made lately.

Like many before me - the Corey Warner call was as disgraceful as the players performance. You want to make a statement making the early sub, don’t take it out on a kid who at least cracks in.

Is there something going on behind the scenes? Not sure - but it was hard to avoid the suspicion tonight.
It's moments like these we need someone's uncle's cousin WhatsApping us.

Even a few weeks ago we were patting ourselves on the back with the return of Mills and Parker and we will go to even greater heights like Geelong 2022... almost not realising it was against Norf.

Instead we look like Melbourne 2012. It is hilariously sad.

In all seriousness, this is the type of loss that can really do some damage to a club. Tempers are high and things can be done and said in the heat of the moment.

That was the st kilda loss.

It broke the momentum and the sense of self beli3f.

I am soooooo embarrassed. I almost never and I mean never leave early. I’ve watched some hidings against hawthorn. I’ve seen Matthew Lloyd kick 14 goals against us. I’ve seen Melbourne pummel us when we were no good and I’ve always felt some reason to stay. I couldn’t do it today. There were a lot of swans fans there watching a team down 85-8. 85 points to 8. I have no idea of the stats but if the inside fifty count was anything resembling 15 to half time I’d be amazed. Our midfield was beyond putrid.

Bedford mentioned how the team was stuck in the race for a bit last week. Before the match tonight they were hanging around in a circle for about 5 minutes and finally did a few sprints. Port in the meantime was using their half of the oval spreading the ball hitting targets. So we are doing nil nada zip before the game. Mightn’t be anything but I didn’t like it.

But kind of so what. There is not a single part of the game that is working. Mills should not be going near the midfield. He is miles off it. He shouldn’t be captain either. Rampe is clearly the captain of this team and the only one who knows wha he is doing and does it reliably.

Ever since the stupid focus of the club was on heeney getting the Brownlow (ffs free heeney seriously) the club has been focussed on the wrong effing thing.

A further off the field thing - horse and his stupid effed up selections. Who came up with ladhams today ? Who in their right mind decided ladhams should stay on rather than Corey w. At least one can run. McLean is too bloody slow to be a full time forward especially with this absolutely pathetic midfield unit. Who can’t kick it to a players advantage if their life depended on it and certainly not in the first quarter. Having three ruckman - what team thinks this is a good idea ??? What off field coaching staff does ? I’m still angry with horse for 2014 with Goodes, Reid Tippett and buddy as a forward line - watching the hawks clear the ball over and over said to me then that horse routinely plays too tall and today was another example of it. I said in the match thread that horse should be publicly saying that it wasn’t Corey warners fault today - he was the least of the problems and I horse was the problem. If the high performing teams ethos means anything it means not blaming one of the youngest players out there for your stupid selections and then indescribably awful match day tactics

On field it’s probably worse. The midfield is absolutely abysmal. Worst in the comp level. I think the first contest in the third quarter rose was on Parker. Rozee breaks to the ball gets ball uncontested and goal is kicked. Parker stayed defensive side of stoppage and ball went over his head. Grundy taps it to heeney he drops the ball, port kicks a goal. Heeney wipes his hands on his shirt. Errol demands the ball. Is given the ball because he’d moan if he didn’t get it. Runs on his left turns around kicks on his right misses his target and goal is kicked after next stoppage. Jordon does brilliantly. Takes intercept mark kicks to Warner about five metres. Warner takes man on and done for htb.

The midfield is so awful. Just absolutely awful. I don’t know whether they’ve been told to be defensive and so not attack the ball in the first quarter but they start of aggressive and get burned on the turnover.

And we are so slow. Without papley and mcinerney the team is slow - especially forward of the ball. It was great when they were running forwards in the first half of the year. It’s now a team that is rout8nely caught forward of the ball and unable to get back because we turn it over at half forward all the time - wicks is one of our bottom tier players so I don’t want to say too much about him but ffs take the ball don’t tap it and give them the ball in open spaces.

Blakey is turning into an absolute first quarter liability. He plays well after that but he is miles off his man - maybe understandably because Francis can’t keep up with anyone and isn’t tall enough to play in front (but he is actually a better forward than any of our talls - he actually attacks the ball in the air and makes opponents need to make a contest. But Blakey just got made to look not even second rate but third rate by georgiadis.

Matt Roberts might be the only player over the past two weeks to have played at about his level. The rest of just absolute rubbish. Absolute.

I normally don’t like to criticise players per se because I know they’re trying their best and I’m sure they think they were doing so. But this team and this coaching staff need to be called out by supporters and the board. To be 85-8 down shows a complete failure of every single facet of the game. Humiliating embarrassing and pathetic.

Unfortunately I think you’re right.

The performance tonight looked like a team playing without spirit.

Which is a complete 180 from 6 weeks ago.

Treatment of Parker v Mills could be an issue. Something has gone awry.

Bullshit I tipped us all week.

But i can only go on what I saw tonight , which player did i unfairly criticise
I was talking more about in-game. You spend the second half crapping all over our bottom 4-5 players all of whom are fringe/out of our best team. That's not any definition of defending the team or sticking with them I've heard of.

Sure the guys in defense weren't great, but no defense on earth is coping with the absolute hiding our midfield took.

Ladhams had a game almost identitical to McDonald in stats, but did at least crack in and compete hard in the air especially, yet you spent the second half giving the guy playing his first game of the year a bath.

FWIW I wouldn't have picked either Francis or Ladhams (unless it was Mclean dropped or Grundy rested), but I'm not crapping all over them for the loss either.

Mills, Adams, Blakey all had absolutely horrendous games. Historically bad. Gulden & Warner got a few stats but had little impact....That's where the issues are atm...not with our bottom 4-5 players. Fix those issues and our bottom 4-5 start looking better (though sure, not world beaters).

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Game is long over, Swans were putrid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back