Player Watch Gary Ablett Junior is the best player ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Undoubtedly the best player I've ever seen, I'm 29.

1. Ablett and by a considerable margin.

Then you can argue about Judd, Buddy, Voss, Hird etc.

I was 3 through to about 10 when Carey was playing at his peak with North, so can't really comment on him or GAS etc.

There are guys that consistently turn matches on their head, Ablett has had years like that, for Buddy it was nearly his whole career and he dragged a mediocre Sydney team to a grand final against the Dogs. Ablett won in a team that would have won without him, if you start with some hypothetical legends draft he just clearly can't have that kind of impact.

There are guys that consistently turn matches on their head, Ablett has had years like that, for Buddy it was nearly his whole career and he dragged a mediocre Sydney team to a grand final against the Dogs. Ablett won in a team that would have won without him, if you start with some hypothetical legends draft he just clearly can't have that kind of impact.

Impossible to say for sure but I think the Suns would have won more games with Buddy in the forward line rather than Ablett in the midfield.

Bairstow Couch Hocking would be rated considerably higher than Platten Condon Anderson... even though Platten is the best of the lot.

No. Hawthorn had an established champion team the very moment Dunstall made it to the VFL.
He had a brownlow medalist in DiPierdomenico, Tuck, Wallace looking for his lead.
He was surrounded by Buckenara, Brereton and Matthews.

Dunstall was as fortunate as any forward who played the game. Walked into success from day one. Very similar to Joel Selwood's career. Never experienced the dark days as a footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. Hawthorn had an established champion team the very moment Dunstall made it to the VFL.
He had a brownlow medalist in DiPierdomenico, Tuck, Wallace looking for his lead.
He was surrounded by Buckenara, Brereton and Matthews.

Dunstall was as fortunate as any forward who played the game. Walked into success from day one. Very similar to Joel Selwood's career. Never experienced the dark days as a footballer.

Hawks were a champion team but that doesn't change the fact that what I said was correct.

Tuck was basically a HBF for Dunstall's career, Wallace was ending his Hawthorn time and on the way out. He was a tough nugget centre man but not an elite ball user lacing out full forwards. Dipper was a tough as wingman but outside of Hawthorn is often derided for his Brownlow medal.

Matthews retired in 1985. Dunstall didn't play the 85 GF and only started making his name from 86 onwards. Brereton and Buckenara were gun forwards (and also part time on baller for Bucky) but that doesn't change anything about the point I made and the strength of the Cats actual midfield v that of Hawthorn....

Dunstall also played the second half of his career in a considerably weaker side and kept pumping out 100 goals season.

So Dunstall played in a great side and was the greatest player in that great side. He got pretty good service from a talented team but the actual midfield that serviced him wouldn't have been rated pound for pound as good as the one Geelong had at the same time.

We also never had a genuinely good ruckman like Bourke as a compliment to the raft of midfielders.

And yet Franklin played in a team that did not need him to win a premiership as seen in 2014 and 2015.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Gary Ablett Junior is the best player ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Back