Doedee
Worrell
Thilthorpe
Jones
Dawson
Butts
Laird

All fine.

I can see the skeleton of something decent in there.

I’d rather our list than Powers going into 2023, especially after we add Rankine. I’d also take Nicks over Hinkley every single day.

Another rebuilding year behind us, only time will tell if it was good base building Year or a wasted opportunity.

Nix over Hinkley? Geez, what a choice, but Nix is going to be sacked with one of the worst 3+ year records ever.

Ugly, pushing guys out the club like Matt and Brad Crouch, Tyson Stengle, probably Sholl as well at this rate. Took all season for Worrell to get a game. Even Darcy Fogarty could barely get a game in the first half of the season until there were rumours of Brisbane looking to poach him.

All this while absolute potatoes like McHenry and Murphy have a gold pass and will never get dropped.

Is it just me or does it seem like Nicks hates and punishes players who rate their own ability more than he does?

That old, “There’s the door” video comes to mind. Hopefully I’m wrong and it’s the right call in the long run, but I feel like we might see a lot more Crows players dominating at other clubs in the future under Nicks.

Jones and McAsey both went earlier than they were in most phantoms but were late firsts. Gallucci was inconsistent in juniors, and McHenry was a 2nd rounder. How many more busts before there is any accountability...
Can't comment on Jones, but McAsey was at 6 - 10 in half a dozen of the recognized phantom drafts. He was clearly the pick of the KPPs in that draft.
Recruiting is a problematic exercise - hindsight criticism is as easy as knocking off North Melbourne!!

Phew, glad that is over.

Smith
McHenry
Rowe
Milera
Keays
Hinge

My god they were bad.

Fog
Soligo
Berry
Doedee
Worrell
Thilthorpe
Jones
Dawson
Butts
Laird

All fine.

I can see the skeleton of something decent in there.

I’d rather our list than Powers going into 2023, especially after we add Rankine. I’d also take Nicks over Hinkley every single day.

Another rebuilding year behind us, only time will tell if it was good base building Year or a wasted opportunity.
Both Nick's and Hinkley aren't good coaches. Both gone next year.

Tex should not have been re-contracted until after the season had concluded. If he left, good luck to him. But you look back on his season and his very good form was a long time ago and we’d have actually been better off getting games into Gollant the last few games. Now we’ve got him, probably on good coin and after a good start again, he’ll deteriorate badly next year. And we are dumb, so he won’t be rested enough and he’ll never be dropped.

So in the back half of the year he was like the 5th highest goal scorer of all teams - that is just a ridiculous take

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

IMO - The 'Good' is the loss itself.

Whilst I know Nicks already tried to do it in the Presser last night - The loss should effectively mean that there should be absolutely NO sugar coating, turd polishing, back slapping, high fiving wallpapering over cracks.

We were awful and waved the white flag in the second half. Couldn't handle the heat.

4 of our 8 wins this year have come from witches hats (Norf and WC). Lets not kid ourselves, if we only played them once we would be on 6 wins and worse W/L then last year.

This crap about 'improvement, DNA, youngest side' needs to go over summer.

Time to get ruthless, get the chequebook out (Rankine/JHF) and start putting some players on notice (Yes - I'm talking about you Smith).

Ugly, pushing guys out the club like Matt and Brad Crouch, Tyson Stengle, probably Sholl as well at this rate. Took all season for Worrell to get a game. Even Darcy Fogarty could barely get a game in the first half of the season until there were rumours of Brisbane looking to poach him.

All this while absolute potatoes like McHenry and Murphy have a gold pass and will never get dropped.

Is it just me or does it seem like Nicks hates and punishes players who rate their own ability more than he does?

That old, “There’s the door” video comes to mind. Hopefully I’m wrong and it’s the right call in the long run, but I feel like we might see a lot more Crows players dominating at other clubs in the future under Nicks.
Matt Crouch is rubbish and needs to be pushed out. There's not much we could do in the BCrouch situation, I wouldn't have offered him a long deal with where we were at when his contract came up. Stengle being ousted was a massive mistake and we should never have moved him. We are now going after Rankine at 800k to do the same role. Worrell was a big misjudgement and should have played at least 15-20 games. Newchurch not playing at least one game was idiotic. Sholl is garbage and is softer than Rory Atkins. Playing Murphy McHenry Rowe in the same team should never happen.

You could mount a case to say he's been lucky to be in the side at all this year.
Underwhelming season. Blowing off the cobwebs excuse finished months ago.

Looking like an unfortunate contract for the club.
I agree the cobwebs reason ended weeks ago. Should have been cue in rack for season once injured again.

I am hopeful he can have a strong preseason. We have him for a few more years yet, no trade value, so we really need to be patient with him.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These players should never be best 22 ever again and we should avoid selecting them at all costs.

Ned McHenry - one of the worst first round picks in our history. Simply does not have any attributes of a first round selection and if he wasn't he'd be struggling to get a game at any club in the AFL. I can maybe forgive first rounders that had top end attributes that failed, but Ned isn't that, he just has no AFL level qualities. Terrible player and disgusting he is contracted for 2 more years.

Lachlan Murphy - a well below average midfielder playing forward who occasionally plays well against historically bad AFL sides but fails spectacularly on the regular against any side that's even remotely reasonable. His stints in the midfield are only passable because no other team in the AFL pays any attention to him and why would they, he sucks.

James Rowe - immune to kicking goals at AFL level and literally offers nothing else. Like Murphy he occasionally gets touches in the midfield because no other team would ever consider putting time in to stop him. A small forward that doesn't kick goals and doesn't pressure is useless at AFL level and should never be selected ever again, the easiest delist you'll ever see

Chayce Jones - has had four years in the system and appears to struggle to understand what AFL looks like. A hard player who does one or two strong defensive actions a game but offers zero in any other facet. When he's on the field he looks surprised he is there, and he should be, because he's not good enough and a huge draft fail.

Wayne Milera - a lazy footballer with no position to hide on the field. As a forward he offers effectively zero and as a defender he is never accountable and doesn't apply pressure. Once or twice a match he shows the skill level an AFL footballer should have which is often confused with him having elite skills, I guess because the average skill level of our squad is woeful. His contract is criminally long and we should salary dump him on North or Hawthorn.

Matt Crouch - he didn't play today but if he remains on the list (which he absolutely should not) then we mustn't be seduced by his training form, which everyone knows will be good as he's an experienced senior player in a very young squad. His type of play is no longer effective at AFL level and selecting him ever again would actively harm the team and our developing players.

Players that need a rocket shoved far up their ass

Brodie Smith - abysmal year, basically career worst. Playing like a guy that knows he will never win a flag so is going through the motions with two years left on his contract, he does not give a *. Get ball, long kick to no one without thinking, repeat. Should be turfed and retired if he doesn't want to put in the effort to make AFL standard decisions.

Tom Doedee - lesson: don't play injured, because you're s**t at it. Deciding to push through with an injury for months while Worrell sits in the twos was a terrible decision and really disappointing from a supposed leader of the club

Harry Schoenberg - if you play like the majority of the year you won't make it and you won't have the money to (allegedly) party your ass off. Take the job seriously.

Reilly O'Brien - just because you have a long contract we never should have given you, doesn't mean you can dish up pathetic garbage for most of the year. It's ridiculous to request working on the basic fundamentals of the game like kicking and marking but here we are. Performing well once or twice a season is disgraceful for a senior player.
Seriously, this is an excellent post that calls out the harsh truths of our list and selection policy. Last night was the REAL indication of where this rebuild is at. Club apologists on this forum cling to the youngest side security blanket for our current situation but so many players are never going to be up to standard.

We had only four wins this year against sides that weren't part of the worst ever AFL teams bracket at the bottom of the table and the win against Port whilst undeniably delicious and spectacular was actually a fluke as we'd been outplayed for 90% of that game.

The best sides ooze skills, last night Port killed us with their skills, and we have very little, and it will continue to hurt us as we go forward.
Dawson to his rightful position on a wing and not saving Nick's arse in the backlines every week, Rachele back fit and the addition of Rankine will assist but we rapidly need to find more skilled players and dump forever McHenry, Murphy, Rowe etc.

O'Brien kicks the ball like a centre from the Croation Premier Basketball League who is being shown a non-round sports ball for the first time in his life, and it's staggering how someone with skills like that can have a professional contract.
Don't put ROB and skills in the same sentence!

I suspect age is the only reason he is a "leader". Have never seen any leadership qualities watching our games live during his career.

He never directs positioning, does not have a "voice" out there at all.

Yes he was an elite HB. Has had a great career. Not all great players are leaders. He is one who was great at his role and being that cog. A vital cog in the 2015 to 2017 GF push. But I don't think he sees the bigger picture in the game. Hence he could never transition to midfield.

Like Laird did.

Agreed, it's a myth in football that all senior players bring good experience and leadership. No difference to any other workplace, sometimes the ones that have been there the longest are great leaders and sometimes they are not and you don't want the new staff learning from them.

What do you think we learnt from the Bulldogs, Tigers; Blues and The first Showdown?

Next to nothing. Our club and coaches have extremely rigid philosophies. Any win just cements failed beliefs further despite overwhelming evidence that our approach is wrong.

It’s no different to 2017, we smoked lots of teams but we also lost every 3rd week. And we lost by opponents bringing the same strategy. But we don’t learn from losses, we ignore them under the ridiculous pretence that it was us not playing our way.

We were never going to win last night.

When we beat them in round 3, they still had players struggling post COVID. Not much said in media, but they were hit hard during the two weeks before the season started.

Then first up they have Brisbane up there. Warm himid energy sapping game. Which affected them the next two weeks. Hawthorn belted em. We just beat them, the difference between us and Hawthorn.

Since 0 and 5, Port have been back to the same side they have been under Hinkley. Struggle against good sides, beat up on bad ones.

I posted early yesterday Port's work between the arcs would hurt us.

Last week was a warning for us. That playing group love Ken, as does the club internally. The white noise around sacking him no doubt spurred the players on in the last two weeks. To not just win, but humiliate two bottom four quality sides. Make a statement to the "Sack Hinkley " crew.

They did that against us.

We tried early, but ran out of steam. Port Boys then did what they do best.

Better ladder position this year, but still a bottom four quality side. Need to really improve next year.

I agree the cobwebs reason ended weeks ago. Should have been cue in rack for season once injured again.

I am hopeful he can have a strong preseason. We have him for a few more years yet, no trade value, so we really need to be patient with him.

I clearly recall warning the boosters not to see a good performance in a game lacking pressure and intensity as a meaningful sign.

And Keays gets heaps of the ball as a mid. Do you have a point that you’re making?
Walker got coaches votes in four games in the back half of the year and was top 5 in goalkickers in the comp and so his second half of the year was good. I think that was the point. Had a fairly quiet game last night and was poor against the Eagles, was good consistently for the whole year apart from those two games.

Seriously, this is an excellent post that calls out the harsh truths of our list and selection policy. Last night was the REAL indication of where this rebuild is at. Club apologists on this forum cling to the youngest side security blanket for our current situation but so many players are never going to be up to standard.

We had only four wins this year against sides that weren't part of the worst ever AFL teams bracket at the bottom of the table and the win against Port whilst undeniably delicious and spectacular was actually a fluke as we'd been outplayed for 90% of that game.

The best sides ooze skills, last night Port killed us with their skills, and we have very little, and it will continue to hurt us as we go forward.
Dawson to his rightful position on a wing and not saving Nick's arse in the backlines every week, Rachele back fit and the addition of Rankine will assist but we rapidly need to find more skilled players and dump forever McHenry, Murphy, Rowe etc.
I wouldn't read too much into last night. We looked tired, disinterested and were already on holidays. We need to get Murphy, McHenry, Jones, ROB, Rowe out of the side and be aggressive at the trade table. Our main problem is that we are so wasteful as a team when moving the ball into our forward line. This has happened all year. We also urgently need another decent experienced KPD. Next year should be around the 11 win mark I believe if we are aggressive in the offseason.

Didn't hear the Jonas, Wines or Byrne-Jones comments during the week?
Jokes on them really. They came looking for a tough fight and we weren't having it.

Next to nothing. Our club and coaches have extremely rigid philosophies. Any win just cements failed beliefs further despite overwhelming evidence that our approach is wrong.

It’s no different to 2017, we smoked lots of teams but we also lost every 3rd week. And we lost by opponents bringing the same strategy. But we don’t learn from losses, we ignore them under the ridiculous pretence that it was us not playing our way.
So when we win against a good side in a high pressure game it means nothing?

Bloody hell there are some whingers on this board. We obviously still have a long way to go, but there have been some positive signs this year. Some people only ever focus on the negative.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review GBU vs Port

Back