GCS what were the AFL thinking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Historically, expanison teams no matter the code tend to struggle for the first couple of years before clicking the only exception I know of is the Melbourne Storm who made the finals in there 1st and won a premiership in the 2nd. In time Gold Coast Suns will come through with the goods, good things take time and it will pay-off eventually.

Re: GCS what were AFL thinking?

Even the Bears weren't close to this bad, though.

Go and have a look at the teams being fielded. The Bears fielded 3 debutants and not one player under 20 in their first game. The Suns had 12 debutants and 9 players under 20.

They took a calculated risk by filling the list with kids.

Historically, expanison teams no matter the code tend to struggle for the first couple of years before clicking the only exception I know of is the Melbourne Storm who made the finals in there 1st and won a premiership in the 2nd.

Gold Coast United, ironically, have done well; 3rd and 4th in their first two seasons.

Big difference being that the Bears had far less potential for improvement. They had a lot of players who'd played before, Gold Coast don't.
I know they're not a good side right now, and they won't win many this year, but I'm looking forward to watching their development as 2011 progresses. By the end of the year, I think we'll have seen 5-6 first year players emerge as potential stars of the game. And by 2012 they'll be 'competitive' in the sense that Richmond are currently 'competitive', ie, great sometimes, crap mostly. Then in 2013, Adelaide'll beat them in the GF. :thumbsu:

Precisely.

That was a great effort to beat us in 2013 by the way with such an average list, stops us from winning 5 in a row :D

Why did the AFL bother giving them a license?...seriously a combined NT team or even a Tasmanian team would be more competitive than this mob.

The money would have been spent relocating a Melbourne team than marketing another Queensland team that's going to go nowhere for a decade that I can see.

Youre aware that in its entirety, youre whole "hype" has been largely based on the excact same thing the Gold Coast's is, high draft picks but little/no results at all.

Its called VISION. It wont always work, but its a good position to be in from the start.

Why did the AFL bother giving them a license?...seriously a combined NT team or even a Tasmanian team would be more competitive than this mob.

The money would have been spent relocating a Melbourne team than marketing another Queensland team that's going to go nowhere for a decade that I can see.

seeing the bigger picture = fail.

agreed the tiges should be relocated and given a fresh start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a couple of years someone will bump this thread and we all will be wishing Gold Coast was a easy win as they will be carving up teams towards a premiership win.

they have a list of 50.

Their 2nds are all listed players, unlike all other AFL clubs.

They hardly have any gold coast locals. Zac Smith and Charlie Dixon are QLD'ers, but they were picked because they can play football, not because they are from QLD.

They were all drafted onto the list, some were concessional due to zoning or age and others just came through the standard draft.

improved marginally week 1 to week 2

im guessing they'll improve again next week....mayhap theres a trend developing here...

not a giant stretch to think that most opposition supporters will have lost the 'oh, goody weve got gc next week' euphoria in a year or two

The problem is they banked a lot of picks and didn't trade enough, they were given a mountain of picks not to make a ridiculously strong team in 5 years time but so they could make a well balanced side equivalent to the other teams going around.

Had they picked up a few more quality players and a few more depth players then they would have a terrific team, but they are just looking to abuse the number of picks they were given access to. I hope they get annihilated all season because when all the top picks mature...

To add to this, it's hardly an ideal environment to get the best out of kids. I wouldn't be at all surprised if a few of them didn't live up to their potential after being required to do too much, far too soon.

Playing at AFL level this early might make some of the kids but others could just as easily be completely overawed and struggle to fulfill their potential. Much easier to make your start as a bit player in a decent team as opposed to being a key player in a fairly horrible side.

They'd have been much better served picking up another 3 or 4 mature aged players (even if it was guys like Mzungu, Krakouer, Curnow) - undoubtedly in the short term and perhaps even long term.

they have a list of 50.

They hardly have any gold coast locals. Zac Smith and Charlie Dixon are QLD'ers, but they were picked because they can play football, not because they are from QLD.

They were all drafted onto the list, some were concessional due to zoning or age and others just came through the standard draft.

What about the future thommo, don't they want to grow the sport in Queensland and give their local youngsters a crack?

in the coming years, they have zone selections available to them for a while, not permanently.

So the Reiwiolts, Armitages, Gilberts, Beams and Tippet's of the world will end up there instead of going early in the draft.

This will develop the game, but at the end of the day - its a draft system in the game and it will remain so.

What about the future thommo, don't they want to grow the sport in Queensland and give their local youngsters a crack?
You don't think that simply by having a second team in Queensland it will grow the sport? Because I do.

Growth comes from the ground up. Having a second side there will surely get more kids playing the game, which will provide various positive flow-on effects.

I live in the west of Sydney. The exciting part of GWS for me, outside of having a local AFL side of course, is the potential it will provide to grow the game out here from the grass roots level upwards.

they have a list of 50.

There are no less than 16 queenslanders on the Gold Coast list.

Remove this Banner Ad

GCS what were the AFL thinking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back