List Mgmt. Geelong at the 2013 AFL National Draft - live Selections Nos. 16, 36, 41

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like everyone says he is like Mitch Brown (Conolan) are saying that because he has red hair and wore number 1. He is nothing like Brown. Brown was a mid who had a massive growth spurt, then played forward. Conolan is a forward. Not alike.
Also Zak Jones really is what we need. A tough inside mid. Yes there is more talent like Acres but do we need another utility like him.

I feel like everyone says he is like Mitch Brown (Conolan) are saying that because he has red hair and wore number 1. He is nothing like Brown. Brown was a mid who had a massive growth spurt, then played forward. Conolan is a forward. Not alike.
Also Zak Jones really is what we need. A tough inside mid. Yes there is more talent like Acres but do we need another utility like him.

You're exactly right, look what's happened since we lost Rooke and Ling, we've gone small in the guts and we're getting killed in the clearances.
What we need is Luke Dunstan and possibly Zak Jones, we need more muscle in the middle, Joel can't do it all.
These two young guys are the inside animals we need to get.
Check out Dunstan with Flemming on Youtube the kid's a monster and Jones isn't that far behind.
P41 Cam Giles for CHB, if that happens we've aced the draft.

What do you think about Josh Pitson as a Rookie? He has explosive speed and his ability to find space with his side step is ridiculous. Disposal is also very good, really like how fast the ball gets to the target. He is raw but the fact that we took Hartman last year makes me think that even with Pitson's limited exposure we could pick him up.
He is 185cm and 75kgs

Does in a way remind me of Hartman. Looks in good a non-AFL situation. We found out just how far off the mark Hartman was this year. Just did not have the tank and took time to get the feel of VFL let alone AFL.

I think in fact Hartman will find himself in the VFL all next season - but GFC probably knew that when they took him - 2 years learning the trade. Maybe, as you say, the same is true of Pitson as a Rookie pick.

As someone else has suggested Bundy Jnr. and Barrass would be good Rookie picks also.

Could you link me to that article?

I cant remember where I found it mate.
But google this text.
Lots comes up.

This year is a bit different. It's fair to say it's very difficult. There's four players who have been talked about, and have been right up there, and Joel Selwood is the other one we're looking very closely at.

What do you think about Josh Pitson as a Rookie? He has explosive speed and his ability to find space with his side step is ridiculous. Disposal is also very good, really like how fast the ball gets to the target. He is raw but the fact that we took Hartman last year makes me think that even with Pitson's limited exposure we could pick him up.
He is 185cm and 75kgs

As a running forward player , he has a lot going for him. Perhaps he would need to dial down the side step a bit , I could see him being pile driven if he tried that too often. Is the a bit of Davey about him?
But AFL is not a one way game. Defense .. he would probably need work. As a rookie who knows.

SJ would not get us Boyd mate, you're dreaming...If you take out the players you mentioned, then there is no player on our list that would get pick 1, possibly only a fit Hawkins as well which would be a mute point. We either have stars in the twilight or up and comers

I never suggested we could get Boyd with SJ, the whole point is SJ would be our best lure, and I agree with you, we have nothing to offer for this draft.
Next year, who know where we finish or what we need, but there are many ways to skin a cat if there is a need.
I get the impression our MC feels we have not much need this year.

You're exactly right, look what's happened since we lost Rooke and Ling, we've gone small in the guts and we're getting killed in the clearances.
What we need is Luke Dunstan and possibly Zak Jones, we need more muscle in the middle, Joel can't do it all.
These two young guys are the inside animals we need to get.
Check out Dunstan with Flemming on Youtube the kid's a monster and Jones isn't that far behind.
P41 Cam Giles for CHB, if that happens we've aced the draft.

Reading "the lads most likely" EmmaQ has us looking at teh three we have all been looking at Dumont, Dunstan and Jones. All may slip thru to the 20's all may go much earlier. If she is right , "we" seem to be on the right thought train for P16. I wonder for P36 and P41

Reading "the lads most likely" EmmaQ has us looking at teh three we have all been looking at Dumont, Dunstan and Jones. All may slip thru to the 20's all may go much earlier. If she is right , "we" seem to be on the right thought train for P16. I wonder for P36 and P41

After P16 it's a stretch so as you know, it's going to be a question of who's available obviously. If Giles is there wouldn't bother me, but would like another big mid to go with Dunstan.
Robertson from WA or Hewett from SA then we could go utility like Herbert with 41 or Bourke.

As for the all important P16.
From a stand point of achievement it's really a no contest imo, Dunstan's year has been stellar, the prime mover of the National Champs SA. Not only do I see him playing next year, but I think a 10 year player and potential captain.

I never suggested we could get Boyd with SJ, the whole point is SJ would be our best lure, and I agree with you, we have nothing to offer for this draft.
Next year, who know where we finish or what we need, but there are many ways to skin a cat if there is a need.
I get the impression our MC feels we have not much need this year.

According to Emma Quayle, she reckons there aren't that many gaps in our list, and a few neutrals I know say we have one of the most even lists in the leauge. So I think you're right that the club feels that we don't have huge needs and are backing our current list with maybe one or two adjustments for our next premiership tilt.

According to Emma Quayle, she reckons there aren't that many gaps in our list, and a few neutrals I know say we have one of the most even lists in the leauge. So I think you're right that the club feels that we don't have huge needs and are backing our current list with maybe one or two adjustments for our next premiership tilt.

Maybe she doesn't bother reading our stats sheet!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are no gaps if we are healthy.

After P16 it's a stretch so as you know, it's going to be a question of who's available obviously. If Giles is there wouldn't bother me, but would like another big mid to go with Dunstan.
Robertson from WA or Hewett from SA then we could go utility like Herbert with 41 or Bourke.

As for the all important P16.
From a stand point of achievement it's really a no contest imo, Dunstan's year has been stellar, the prime mover of the National Champs SA. Not only do I see him playing next year, but I think a 10 year player and potential captain.
Good call Meto
Big article in todays paper on him. Has missed a lot of footy with injury but at 191cm and 91Kg looks an absolute beast and might be there at 36 or 41. Very mature , articulate and strong character - with that going for him he might be on the radar of Mr Wells ;)

I have a sneaking suspicion that Cameron Conlon may be our first pick.

Wells has a history of the odd esoteric first round pick but I'm pretty sure we won't hear Conlon's name called out by him early on Thursday.

I reckon there are 3 likely suspects in Acres, Jones and Gardiner then the possibility of a rated player dropping such as Lennon or even Sheed if WC take Acres. Then we have Dumont and Dunstan who have big claims but I just feel they might be a bit behind the others. Only my opinion though. Crouch seems to have gone out of favour from what Quayle and the other journalists are reporting. It appears that someone will pick up a nice player in the early to mid 20's with him.

Wells has a history of the odd esoteric first round pick but I'm pretty sure we won't hear Conlon's name called out by him early on Thursday.

I reckon there are 3 likely suspects in Acres, Jones and Gardiner then the possibility of a rated player dropping such as Lennon or even Sheed if WC take Acres. Then we have Dumont and Dunstan who have big claims but I just feel they might be a bit behind the others. Only my opinion though. Crouch seems to have gone out of favour from what Quayle and the other journalists are reporting. It appears that someone will pick up a nice player in the early to mid 20's with him.

I just have a feeling it may be someone like Cutler, Conlon or Robertson. Wells has history as you say.

I'd pick one of Dunstan, Acres, Crouch or Jones.

Good call Meto
Big article in todays paper on him. Has missed a lot of footy with injury but at 191cm and 91Kg looks an absolute beast and might be there at 36 or 41. Very mature , articulate and strong character - with that going for him he might be on the radar of Mr Wells ;)

Roberston or Hewett would be very good choices at 36 or 41. Tsitas is another. Even Cutler, who seems to have risen up the order of late may be still around as well.

Would anyone consider drafting Alex Hickey from the Geelong Falcons as a rookie? He won the club's best and fairest.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-20/alex-hickey

Yep, absolutely. Has leadership and persistence written all over him. I really hope he gets his chance, it couldn't happen to a better bloke. Despite being a Pies supporter, he has all the character qualities that Wells looks for in a young player.

I dunno, this is so wide open anything could happen. The top 10-12 seem pretty concrete, but next 20 odd guys could go anywhere, depending on team needs and perceived strengths/weaknesses of each player. Seems theres some knock on pretty much every player who will be available at our first pick. Cripps needs a tank, Sheed might be too slow, Dunstan maybe a bit slow or lack penetration on his kicking, others are too skinny, potentially undersized, etc. Of course that's usually doesn't deter Wells too much, he's drafted plenty of skinny kids over the years, Bundy was too fat, Kersten too small for position, etc. So rather than names, I'm waiting to see the reaction of Wells face at end of draft, if he's grinning like the Cheshire Cat then I'll know for sure we've scored a couple of gems.

But I seriously think we'll draft a small/med defender with one of our 3 picks. Hunt's gone, Enright is nearing the end and Guthrie could possibly move into midfield next year, maybe as a tagger. Bews is still developing but shows good potential. I think we need someone closer to a 'sure' thing. Not as many options with our first pick, Jones or Impey, and both could be a bit of a reach according to some. Jones won't be available at 36 or 41 but I think any of the others could potentially still be there by then. Especially if the word that some teams might reach a bit higher for a KP player, between 15-30, than they normally would comes true.

Impey sounds like a good pickup, except for a question mark over his contested footy. Not overly tall at 177cms either but has a good leap to help make up for it.

James Battersby sounds like he could be top 25 material.
"Small defender/midfielder with excellent vision and use of the ball by hand and foot. Has already played at senior level with Sturt, where his great assets included composure and game sense. Capped off an outstanding Under-18 Championships by winning All-Australian honours." I'm guessing the main knock is he could be a little undersized at 177cms. But seems to fit the Wells mould otherwise. Has already performed quite well at State level, U18 All Australian honours...just like Thurlow last year.

Then there's Nathan Drummond, Isaiah Miller, Thomas Hodgson, Louis Herbert, Darcy Byrne-Jones and Errin Wasley-Black. Wasley-Black sounds the most intriguing...Hmm another Hyphen on the list perhaps?

We don't seem to be linked to Dayle Garlett but I think that's because we probably have enough small/med forward types for the moment. Or that maybe he really isn't worth the trouble....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back