Roast Geelong can't develop young players

Remove this Banner Ad

The first 2 months of the season created unsustainable expectations

Not good enough for the 8 and probably won't be for a while

I think most (but certainly not all) would be realistic of the next few years ahead

I was sceptical of Geelong even when they were 7-0 as to me they had not played many particularly good sides and they just didn't win in a particularly impressive way. There is no shame in that, Geelong were a very good side and age has caught up with them but I really did get a North Melbourne feel from them from a number of years ago when North were something like 9-0. No one but North fans really thought North were a great team, everyone could sense the wheels were about to fall off.

Don’t agree

I know this year isn’t as good as his others but I’ve never seen a 200cm FB before ever and he’s has just tipped into the 40-50 game range.
Oliver Henry 25, #16 in the Rookie draft. He has been a solid def since day dot. Rising star nomm.
Gryan Miers, a guy who’s got the rugby goal kick style about 5ft tall and is a player with one of the highest GA numbers in the comp.
2019 prelim, was at the game and I thought he was BOG at halftime.
Richmond won the game because we’re better and he wasn’t as good second half…but
I’ve seen him make plenty of stuff ups but I’ve never seen him go into his shell.

I think this might be a premature autopsy…they’ve still got alotve talent and Scott is a bit shifty.
I think it’s likely they can play two finals this year. At least.

They’d probably want to…have finally run outve house and land packages from what I’ve heard.
😏

I was sceptical of Geelong even when they were 7-0 as to me they had not played many particularly good sides and they just didn't win in a particularly impressive way. There is no shame in that, Geelong were a very good side and age has caught up with them but I really did get a North Melbourne feel from them from a number of years ago when North were something like 9-0. No one but North fans really thought North were a great team, everyone could sense the wheels were about to fall off.

It was 10 out of 11. From memory we had a horror run with injuries that year, kept losing players to LTIs, We kept winning despite the loss of players but we had a good run against ordinary opposition, eventually when we ran into better sides we didn't have the cattle. We were never a great side under Scott and don't think many were delusional enough to think that, we were somewhat competitive though because Scott assembled a list full of big bodied potatoes that could beat sides that weren't a real contender.

Bring back those halcyon days, I miss winning games. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fairness, Geelong didn’t ‘develop’ him. He was developed by West Coast’s NGA. I hate West Coast, but it’s a shame when so much is invested in these kids and clubs don’t benefit from them.

In fairness, Geelong didn’t ‘develop’ him. He was developed by West Coast’s NGA. I hate West Coast, but it’s a shame when so much is invested in these kids and clubs don’t benefit from them.
WCE 'developed' him to the point he was overlooked in multiple draft years despite being in their academy and only picked up by Geelong in the 2nd last pick of the 2023 draft.

Sometimes it's just easier to admit the uncomfortable truth - Geelong are second to none when it comes to developing footballers, and have been for a long time.

WCE 'developed' him to the point he was overlooked in multiple draft years despite being in their academy and only picked up by Geelong in the 2nd last pick of the 2023 draft.

Sometimes it's just easier to admit the uncomfortable truth - Geelong are second to none when it comes to developing footballers, and have been for a long time.
That’s very arrogant

Wells is soo far above everyone else in scouting/drafting.
It’s insane how many diamonds in the rough he pulls off.

I don't particulary agree with the premise of the thread but in saying that you can't use a player who retired years ago as an example of Geelong being able to develop players.
Relative to their draft pick position, I'd say over the last 8 years of recruitment/development:

Zuthrie, Stengle, Miers, J.Henry, Close, Holmes, Dempsey, SDK, O.Henry, Humphries

Have performed pretty well or show exciting signs for the future.

If you are given this hand: Rookie #33, Rookie #6, #57, Rookie #16, Rookie #14, #20, Rookie #13, #19, #17, #63

And turn it to that batch of performers (relative to their age level), I think you'd be reasonably happy.

Ironically the few times we get top 12 type picks, it has rarely worked out of late.

1) This Cat is in pole position to win the Telstra Rising Star​

Yet another uncovered gem in Geelong's rich recruiting history, former basketballer Ollie Dempsey has taken a couple of years to find his feet at the top level, but has burst onto the scene in his third season. Dempsey was matched up with a relatively inexperienced winger in Essendon forward Harry Jones on Saturday night and ran the Bomber off his feet, playing a key role in keeping the Cats in touch in the first half and kicking two goals of his own. Harley Reid and Sam Darcy are ineligible for the Rising Star due to suspension, while George Wardlaw is missing two games with concussion, opening the door for the young Cat to be crowned the best young player in the game. – Sarah Black

1) This Cat is in pole position to win the Telstra Rising Star​

Yet another uncovered gem in Geelong's rich recruiting history, former basketballer Ollie Dempsey has taken a couple of years to find his feet at the top level, but has burst onto the scene in his third season. Dempsey was matched up with a relatively inexperienced winger in Essendon forward Harry Jones on Saturday night and ran the Bomber off his feet, playing a key role in keeping the Cats in touch in the first half and kicking two goals of his own. Harley Reid and Sam Darcy are ineligible for the Rising Star due to suspension, while George Wardlaw is missing two games with concussion, opening the door for the young Cat to be crowned the best young player in the game. – Sarah Black
Doesn't count, the Ammos developed him. :cute:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back