Unofficial Preview Geelong Cats V Hawthorn Rd 1 -

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't trolling at all. You've been on the bay too long...

So last season where he played well, or are you writing him off based off his 2010 finals series....

If you attempt to kick the ball off the ground rather than pick it up, you've either lost interest or you're incapable... not once either.
He was quite poor last year besides a game that meant little in the scheme of things.

Makes zero sense the 2 yr contract while Dogga resides in Western Sydney.

You're generally a good poster mate, watch the replay again.
I haven't watched the replay but I will. Mackie wasn't much chop and I could see that from watching the game at the time. My point is just to judge him on the games that matter because he has never looked good in pre season games even when he was at his peak.

If he's turning it up once the real season begins I'll be on your band wagon, believe me!

I haven't watched the replay but I will. Mackie wasn't much chop and I could see that from watching the game at the time. My point is just to judge him on the games that matter because he has never looked good in pre season games even when he was at his peak.

If he's turning it up once the real season begins I'll be on your band wagon, believe me!
I'm judging him on a lot longer than that mate, what do you take me for, really?

If you attempt to kick the ball off the ground rather than pick it up, you've either lost interest or you're incapable... not once either.
He was quite poor last year besides a game that meant little in the scheme of things.

3d7e2f1a8fcd81911bb35256a8fab5ce.jpg

"Solid game"
"Steady effort off halfback"
"Did a super job blanketing Monfries and won the battle comprehensively"
"Some handy rebound" "Among better cats"
"Mopped up well" "Wise head critical at times"
"Used ball well off half back and ran hard to create"
"Brilliant with his rebound off half back" "used the ball well every time he got it"
"Among Cat's best" "attacked when he could from half back"
"Arguably team's best with ball use, run and creativity from half back"

Yep sounds like a guy "was quite poor last year" and is a "liability" :rolleyes: Put the beer down son. Time for bed :thumbsu:

3d7e2f1a8fcd81911bb35256a8fab5ce.jpg

"Solid game"
"Steady effort off halfback"
"Did a super job blanketing Monfries and won the battle comprehensively"
"Some handy rebound" "Among better cats"
"Mopped up well" "Wise head critical at times"
"Used ball well off half back and ran hard to create"
"Brilliant with his rebound off half back" "used the ball well every time he got it"
"Among Cat's best" "attacked when he could from half back"
"Arguably team's best with ball use, run and creativity from half back"

Yep sounds like a guy "was quite poor last year" and is a "liability" :rolleyes: Put the beer down son. Time for bed :thumbsu:
Is that your opinion or somebody elses.? If it were yours you wouldn't have posted somebody elses opinion.

That's ok.

Is that your opinion or somebody elses.? If it were yours you wouldn't have posted somebody elses opinion.

That's ok.
No, I've based my opinion numerous times over summer on what I saw at games. Other posters have echoed similar thoughts and that table reinforces that view, more than likely contributed by an impartial person.

Last edited:

I agree that he shouldn't have been given a two year contract.

Mackie is younger then S.J and I think was much better than him last season. Don't have a problem giving Mackie two years, he's so outside that I doubt his body has a lot of wear and tear too.
1 quick question if I may. Do you have a problem with Mackie continually trying to kick the ball off the ground rather than picking it up? It's concerning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Early week meat tray entry:

B: Enright Lonergan Henderson
HB: Mackie Taylor Guthrie
C: Motlop Dangerfield Duncan
HF: Menzel Vardy Caddy
F: McCarthy Hawkins Gregson
R: Smith Blicavs Selwood
Int: Stanley Bartel Murdoch Kolodjashnij
Em: Ruggles Lang Kersten

Bolded are the mid rotation.

Looks strong!

Early week meat tray entry:

B: Enright Lonergan Henderson
HB: Mackie Taylor Guthrie
C: Motlop Dangerfield Duncan
HF: Menzel Vardy Caddy
F: McCarthy Hawkins Gregson
R: Smith Blicavs Selwood
Int: Stanley Bartel Murdoch Kolodjashnij
Em: Ruggles Lang Kersten

Bolded are the mid rotation.

Looks strong!
Good side, fairly logical based on current fitness and form. Although I am not happy with both Hendo and Kolo in, its a bit top heavy. I'm not sure who I would drop, although I think Kolo has been slightly ahead of Hendo in the NAB neither have been kicking the door down. On experience I guess I would give the nod to Henderson. Would be tempted to bring in a Ruggles, Lang or Cowan possibly to add to the defense against those Hawthorn small forwards. I wouldn't be surprised if the selectors decided not to play Vardy and put Stanley at CHF with he and Blitz helping Smith out in the ruck and playing another med/small. I think it would be better to stick with Vardy though.

I've always been a big fan of Lang and I still am, but his form in the NAB has been quite disappointing. Gregson has continued to impress but this McCarthy fella has been brilliant. Exactly the type of player we've been looking for in the forward line. He does all the things you expect of a small forward with the pressure etc, but he's got a serious set of sticky mitts as well. Our forward line pressure with him and Gregson + Cockatoo once he's back is just streets ahead of anything we've had for a good number of years.

^^^

He's caving Stan The Caddy

#GetGuthrieBack ;)
I knew you'd like that. I've always said as long as he's not in a lockdown role and he features heavily in the midfield I'm ok with it.

#guthintheguts

Good side, fairly logical based on current fitness and form. Although I am not happy with both Hendo and Kolo in, its a bit top heavy. I'm not sure who I would drop, although I think Kolo has been slightly ahead of Hendo in the NAB neither have been kicking the door down. On experience I guess I would give the nod to Henderson. Would be tempted to bring in a Ruggles, Lang or Cowan possibly to add to the defense against those Hawthorn small forwards. I wouldn't be surprised if the selectors decided not to play Vardy and put Stanley at CHF with he and Blitz helping Smith out in the ruck and playing another med/small. I think it would be better to stick with Vardy though.
One thing I found naming my team was there wasn't really anyone I thought was stiff missing out. Perhaps a worry depth wise, but you'd hope guys like Lang, GHS, Cockatoo, Ruggles, Bews and Kersten will put together some good VFL form and provide some pressure.

But in terms of small/tall balance, I can't see the small that is worthy of a spot over a tall without me thinking the tall is unlucky and the small is lucky. Maybe Ruggles for Kolo?

I've always been a big fan of Lang and I still am, but his form in the NAB has been quite disappointing. Gregson has continued to impress but this McCarthy fella has been brilliant. Exactly the type of player we've been looking for in the forward line. He does all the things you expect of a small forward with the pressure etc, but he's got a serious set of sticky mitts as well. Our forward line pressure with him and Gregson + Cockatoo once he's back is just streets ahead of anything we've had for a good number of years.
Add Menzel to the forward line too and it's looking very dangerous IMO. Seriously hope he gets a good crack at it this year with no injuries holding him back.

Don't get me wrong, Ruggles has shown some good signs but I just don't trust him with the ball in his hands yet. The pressure will only go up and I'm not sure if he will be able to handle it. I'd rather play it safe early in the season even if it means that we're a little bit imbalanced.

As far as the match ups go it will depend on who is down there at any given time but of the options that you've given me I'd put him on Hodge.

Sensible approach Stan The Caddy
Ruggles will develop nicely but he has nowhere near the match conditioning yet - he was cramping in the 3rd and really struggled to make second efforts at times. Small Hawk forwards would have a field day on him in the latter parts of the game if not before.
Murdoch played back in the second half and did well , found it a bit and was prepared to run - looks to have improved from a guy who used to panic and choose a poor option in defence. He is a great penetrating kick as well.

Sensible approach Stan The Caddy
Ruggles will develop nicely but he has nowhere near the match conditioning yet - he was cramping in the 3rd and really struggled to make second efforts at times. Small Hawk forwards would have a field day on him in the latter parts of the game if not before.
Murdoch played back in the second half and did well , found it a bit and was prepared to run - looks to have improved from a guy who used to panic and choose a poor option in defence. He is a great penetrating kick as well.
Has Ruggles missed some preseason?
Not sure why he'd be struggling at this stage otherwise.
But Murdoch is a def 22 starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back