Review Geelong defeat Sydney by 6 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, maybe Tom Atkins is far more important than many, including myself, give credit for. They just waltzed it out of our forward line with impunity. Can't see too much of a loss swapping Steven out for him.
Unfortunately tigers waltzed it out when. Atkins was there too. Something a miss.

It's troubling that yet again we've turned up to the opening bounce of a crucial game with a lax, lazy, distracted mental attitude.

That has been the hallmark of our finals games for a few years now, and until last week, I had some hope that we'd progressed this and were better prepared mentally for the big games.

It seems not. We still seem unable to get ourselves focused right from the start.
Agree with sluggish efforts. Either that or Sydney just were too sharp early . Credit for the swans to take the game on early.

To produce an assertion, particularly a controversial assertion, you need to establish your own evidence to substantiate your own argument. There are invisible fairies at the bottom of my garden - prove me wrong!

I take your point and to be honest I was angry and a little drunk after the game when posting. I suppose I mean I will not trust any of those players until I have seen them play well in a big final, specifically in a prelim or GF and am yet to see my own evidence they can. I would hope many of those players would also be asking themselves the exact same questions tbh.

Good luck with the fairies

oh....and why wasn't MOC moved off Papley...hopefully someone has the balls to ask the coach at the press conference.
Yes the was an obvious move that didn’t happen. O’Connor looked liked an Irishman playing Aussie rules football against A very clever and cunning player. Lucky his radar was off.

I was one Blicavs smother from smashing my TV
Lol! I lost it when Menegola turned it over with that ridiculous grasscutter infield to no one in particular. And I kept screaming at players to just kick the ball as they ummed and aahed looking for a free player when the Geelong players were all immitating garden gnomes.

Usually we have a bit of a soft game going into finals - perhaps that sort of slog is going to be beneficial?
I think psychologically it could work for us. As we won’t be favourites in the QF. Hopefully they wake up, because if they carry this form into the finals it’s straight sets. Looked sluggish and old today.

The Cats poor game today was all mental. We know they can play better than that. That loss last week has stung the psyche of the team, IMO. Falling back into bad habits today. They have the talent in the team to win the flag. If they fail again, coaching heads need to roll.
Played like a team that were scared of failing in top 4 again.
Fear of failure unfortunately has gripped us.

There was some worrying lack of footy IQ there in the last few minutes. Just needed a point to seal the win and Danger, Duncan and Miers collectively almost screwed the 2020 pooch. Phew, double chance remains.

Hardly a confidence building win. Some major resetting required to figure in the finals.
Miers has to learn to kick over the man on the mark. He has that strange habit where he must round around on his right to kick and it stays so low that anyone between him and his target can pick it off. He has been fairly accurate kicking set shots but his technique makes it very difficult. If he's 30m out on a 30 degree angle, by the time he kicks it he will be on a 60 degree angle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont want Ratagolea, Steven, Miers or Taylor in the side come qualifying finals, but I reckon I won't get my wish.

My dream would be to replace them with Stanley, Jenkins, Clark and Atkins.

Agree 100% - not sure what the go was. Everyone seemed upset.
They've looked incredibly flat for the last few weeks. They haven't been able to go with the opposition. Sydney just waltzed out of their backline with Geelong players struggling to chase. This two week break is desperately needed. I think they need to look at injecting some pace. We have a lot of one pace midfielders and forwards. Narkle or Close could come in.

Few things that can get stuffed.

1. Cameron Lings commentary
  2. The umpires non calls, particularly Rohan and Touhys marks not paid
  3. Our boot studder “if he still has a job” if he doesn't GET HIM BACK!!
  4. Jack Steven’s foot skills are atrocious
  5. Touhy also looked timid to have any contact at all
  6. It doesn’t have to get stuffed but I think Hawkins mark not paid is the right decision, you could hear the umpire say he did it too early so technically a correct call of a block
  7. WE HAVE A COLEMAN MEDALIST, congrats Tommy
Few things that can get stuffed.

1. Cameron Lings commentary
  2. The umpires non calls, particularly Rohan and Touhys marks not paid
  3. Our boot studder “if he still has a job” if he doesn't GET HIM BACK!!
  4. Jack Steven’s foot skills are atrocious
  5. Touhy also looked timid to have any contact at all
  6. It doesn’t have to get stuffed but I think Hawkins mark not paid is the right decision, you could hear the umpire say he did it too early so technically a correct call of a block
  7. WE HAVE A COLEMAN MEDALIST, congrats Tommy!
Great comments especially about Ling. He is pathetic the way he never calls out umpiring clangers and the way he states the obvious is mind numbing. Those marks that weren't paid were an absolute disgrace. Surely umpires would be mortified when they review these decisions. Both of those would have resulted in goals for Geelong.

It’s September. We don’t play well in September. Peaking at the right time is an issue that hasn’t been sorted.
We peaked 6 weeks ago. We look cooked.

We went ok in our last October game, so maybe it'll help that we won't be playing finals in September but rather play them all in October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back