Review Geelong defeats GWS by 61 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like us to improve ball movement from back 50. Seems like our only strategy is long down the line. Works ok against average opposition at skilled. Not decent opposition at MCG

Agree. Not always possible but we are definitely better when we take it on from half back. Shows you how off GWS were last night that we are able to still set up scoring opportunities when we chipped the hall around or went down the line.

Ah, of course! I should have stipulated - any players we'd have wanted to keep?
No I don't know of any (from any state)
We didn't give a shit about Kersten Vardy and Jansen (& with just cause)
I think Bundy was pushed out the door due to shenanigans.
We weren't keen on keeping Caddy and didn't offer Hamling a contract on the main list.
Preety bloody good since I believe we take more SA/WA players than anyone else.
Possibly Tassie & NT too.

No I don't know of any (from any state)
We didn't give a shit about Kersten Vardy and Jansen (& with just cause)
I think Bundy was pushed out the door due to shenanigans.
We weren't keen on keeping Caddy and didn't offer Hamling a contract on the main list.
Preety bloody good since I believe we take more SA/WA players than anyone else.
Possibly Tassie & NT too.

Still don't like how the Caddy trade went down, but if you offered me either him or Parfitt right now it's Parfitt easily.

Overall we have been great at retaining required players, so I'm not too concerned about Kelly leaving at this stage. Would obviously still love to see him sign an extension asap though, because you'd think there will be some sizable offers coming his way if he keeps this up.

I thought Gregson played a good game last night.

Yeah he did ok, but I raised in the gameday thread, where often in the long kick forward he'd play the crumbing role, but his man left him to fly for the mark and I think from
memory got three unopposed. It's ok to leave your man expecting the crumb, but his awareness of leaving his man and who was going for the mark wasn't the best.

I doubt that we'd bring in the three of Ablett, Menz and Taylor all at once. Very risky bringing in three injured players at once.

Still don't like how the Caddy trade went down, but if you offered me either him or Parfitt right now it's Parfitt easily.

Overall we have been great at retaining required players, so I'm not too concerned about Kelly leaving at this stage. Would still love to see him sign an extension asap though, because you'd think there will be some sizable offers coming his way if he keeps this up.

And perhaps that is what his management has told him to do, wait and play himself into a far bigger salary.

I’m late to the party but full of admiration for a focused 4 quarter effort.
Once we had our foot on their throat we never backed off and finished pulling away
Super effort by all the youngsters and kudos to Duncan for backing up the talk with a magnificent game
Stanley started same old Rhys but played himself into form holding some good grabs and even hitting to advantage a few times lol
My 3 votes goes to the physio who got Sav back on the park after he looked shot from that marking contest !
Set up now to be top 4 after the next 6 games - make it happen Catters

You can't jump on his wagon now.

Too late.
Too right. Those of us on the wagon shouldn’t have to put up with these blow ins :p
Boy this new responsibility suits him.
Taylor plays back or not at all.
In years past the swingman idea was credible but I’d play Sav now. Provides back up ruck support and looks competent up forward. He’s aggressive at the ball and contest too.
Tom gets angry.
League find way to suspend him.
Tom avoids getting angry for fear of suspension.
Tom avoids suspension and people on here say he’s too soft. Gets angry and suspended and he’s undisciplined...
He absolutely cannot win.
2 year deal
OOC end of 2019.

SO much time left.

GO Catters
Great so we’ve got another 18 months of B.B. waffling on about losing him for a packet of peanuts. Yippee!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most ruckmen pull the socks up over their shin guards but Sav and Stanley don't seem to like doing that.
Oh, OK - something else I've learned, thanks Stig

Just wanted to say being at the game last night it was great to finally hear the crowd get involved for a change. Bring that energy every time we play at home and we will continue to have a true fortress

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah he did ok, but I raised in the gameday thread, where often in the long kick forward he'd play the crumbing role, but his man left him to fly for the mark and I think from
memory got three unopposed. It's ok to leave your man expecting the crumb, but his awareness of leaving his man and who was going for the mark wasn't the best.

I doubt that we'd bring in the three of Ablett, Menz and Taylor all at once. Very risky bringing in three injured players at once.
Fair enough, but I have felt for quite a while we have suffered from not having a good crumbing/roving type.

Overall we have been great at retaining required players, so I'm not too concerned about Kelly leaving at this stage. Would obviously still love to see him sign an extension asap though, because you'd think there will be some sizable offers coming his way if he keeps this up.
Yeah we're awesome at keeping players from interstate.
Hartman is the only player I can think of that went home that we didn't push.
& who really knows what happened there.

Because he has a family in WA and now he knows he can make the grade at AFL and likely get good money, there's no reason why he has to be away from home for a prolonged period.

Geelong should move his family to Geelong, IF Kelly decides he likes living in Geelong. While I would hope that Kelly would be loyal to Geelong for giving him another chance to play AFL, it's reasonable to ask to return to WA if he is missing his family. Geelong did a great job with Harry, when he was being courted by the West. Kelly is well worth Geelong's investment.

Just wanted to say being at the game last night it was great to finally hear the crowd get involved for a change. Bring that energy every time we play at home and we will continue to have a true fortress

On TV it sounded quiet quite a bit. I think they need to use the big TV screen better, have a chant like GGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEELong up there so it is an ongoing chant by the whole crowd. The cheer squad is really underwhelming with the same old chants that
seemingly don't go beyond the boundary of the cheer squad seating.

Imagine the whole crowd doing the prolonged Geelong chant. It would be glorious. But they need to get the entire crown involved.

Geelong should move his family to Geelong, IF Kelly decides he likes living in Geelong. While I would hope that Kelly would be loyal to Geelong for giving him another chance to play AFL, it's reasonable to ask to return to WA if he is missing his family. Geelong did a great job with Harry, when he was being courted by the West. Kelly is well worth Geelong's investment.

His family is with him. His wife and three kids live with him. I guess they are hinting at his extended family i.e. Parents and siblings.

Fair enough, but I have felt for quite a while we have suffered from not having a good crumbing/roving type.

Agreed. However, at times you also need to go for the mark and make your opponent accountable. Having him fly unopposed and get a clearing kick is no good for the crumber.

Night games always have a bit more of a buzz. Next game down there is against the Blues and could be Gazza's first back in Geelong, so should be pretty loud.

I don't think it's that big a deal TBH.
Footy players get an off season a bye and go back to WA to play a couple of times a year.
Plus they're pretty cashed up and can fly people over for a holiday any time they like.
Plus they also have the club helping them out.
Not really the same as us regular people who move away from work.

On TV it sounded quiet quite a bit. I think they need to use the big TV screen better, have a chant like GGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEELong up there so it is an ongoing chant by the whole crowd. The cheer squad is really underwhelming with the same old chants that
seemingly don't go beyond the boundary of the cheer squad seating.

Imagine the whole crowd doing the prolonged Geelong chant. It would be glorious. But they need to get the entire crown involved.

Even the “Geeee-Looooong” chant is old. Every team chant the same thing and there is no individuality. Listen to the chants they get going in the EPL and imagine if we came up with our own unique chant that we could get started during games when we a thrashing teams. It would embarrass the opposition and we could be the first club to do it so other teams would have to copy us and look like try yards if it wasn’t as good

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Geelong defeats GWS by 61 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back