Review Geelong defeats GWS by 61 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Good man.Odds on a fine v suspension?
It’s either a fine or it will be sent to the tribunal. Probably the latter where the case of mistaken identity will need to be argued before the jury.

After the disappointment of the last quarter last week I was confident in a response (which this group has given in the past when challenged) and they didn't let me down.

While it wasn't pretty, it was a good, solid four quarters of footy, which we struggle to put together, but when we do it shows just how much of a threat this group could be. I loved our work in the contest, and our ability to limit their transition was excellent. They lacked options up forward, but for a side apparently going to dominate the competition for the next five years, their depth is questionable. When you compare that with the players we've been forced to play this year, you could argue we have the superior depth, despite not having any access to the high draft picks the Giants have.

Our defence was reminiscent of the golden era, frugal and highlighted by constant intercept marking. I am gobsmacked by the improvement in Jack Henry over the past month. I love the way he backs himself to go for his marks, and I hope this isn't coached out of him. No sign it will be. Blitz has fitted in very well and looks much better down back. Interesting to hear Scotty say he wants to play back. With Hendo out indefinitely, that second tall position is all his.
Tom Stewart is currently in All Australian form, what a recruit. I thought Zach Guthrie was okay at times. He reads the play well but his disposal was very poor, but there is plenty to work with. Zach Tuohy started to return to some of his natural game, providing run off half back. This was all helped by an undermanned Giants forward line of course.

Good to see guys who have struggled play well. Stanley was easily the best big and his ruckwork was very good at times. Jackson Thurlow started well and used it well. Disappointed to see a couple of Murda's strong tackles get highlighted as potential issues with the Match Review system. Didn't think there was anything untoward from them and I love seeing him show this hard edge, as he seems to play well when he has it. Hawk gets crucified by the umpires, we all know it, but he started to focus on getting the ball more at times, and he's so much better when he does that.

PFD looked a little better, but that calf is still an issue. It reminds me of the same time last year when he copped that knee to the back from Roughead. Struggled for a month then went into beast mode. Fingers crossed for a repeat this year. Scooter brings so much to the midfield and it looks stronger as a collective when he's there. Duncan and Selwood stood up after last week, the exact response you want from your leaders.

Delighted to see Stewart Crameri make his GFC debut and have an impact. Understandably was a little rusty for the first half but worked into it late. Will be so much better for the run.

And as for Tim Kelly. Dear GFC, do everything in your power to sign him long term. Move their entire family over here, give them jobs with Frank, whatever it takes, just do it!

After the disappointment of the last quarter last week I was confident in a response (which this group has given in the past when challenged) and they didn't let me down.

While it wasn't pretty, it was a good, solid four quarters of footy, which we struggle to put together, but when we do it shows just how much of a threat this group could be. I loved our work in the contest, and our ability to limit their transition was excellent. They lacked options up forward, but for a side apparently going to dominate the competition for the next five years, their depth is questionable. When you compare that with the players we've been forced to play this year, you could argue we have the superior depth, despite not having any access to the high draft picks the Giants have.

Our defence was reminiscent of the golden era, frugal and highlighted by constant intercept marking. I am gobsmacked by the improvement in Jack Henry over the past month. I love the way he backs himself to go for his marks, and I hope this isn't coached out of him. No sign it will be. Blitz has fitted in very well and looks much better down back. Interesting to hear Scotty say he wants to play back. With Hendo out indefinitely, that second tall position is all his.
Tom Stewart is currently in All Australian form, what a recruit. I thought Zach Guthrie was okay at times. He reads the play well but his disposal was very poor, but there is plenty to work with. Zach Tuohy started to return to some of his natural game, providing run off half back. This was all helped by an undermanned Giants forward line of course.

Good to see guys who have struggled play well. Stanley was easily the best big and his ruckwork was very good at times. Jackson Thurlow started well and used it well. Disappointed to see a couple of Murda's strong tackles get highlighted as potential issues with the Match Review system. Didn't think there was anything untoward from them and I love seeing him show this hard edge, as he seems to play well when he has it. Hawk gets crucified by the umpires, we all know it, but he started to focus on getting the ball more at times, and he's so much better when he does that.

PFD looked a little better, but that calf is still an issue. It reminds me of the same time last year when he copped that knee to the back from Roughead. Struggled for a month then went into beast mode. Fingers crossed for a repeat this year. Scooter brings so much to the midfield and it looks stronger as a collective when he's there. Duncan and Selwood stood up after last week, the exact response you want from your leaders.

Delighted to see Stewart Crameri make his GFC debut and have an impact. Understandably was a little rusty for the first half but worked into it late. Will be so much better for the run.

And as for Tim Kelly. Dear GFC, do everything in your power to sign him long term. Move their entire family over here, give them jobs with Frank, whatever it takes, just do it!
Some really good sign aren't there (after last week).

Also though I haven't seen the game yet, I did not hear one commentator mention Geelong's outs before the game. It was all "undermanned" GWS facing an uphill battle at the Cattery, how devastated their depth is, 5 of their top 10 out injured. etc etc. Quite clearly from the AFL briefing sheet.

Umm where would Taylor, Hendo, Menzel, Parfitt and that young Ablett chap sit in our top 10? Cocky ain't bad either. And then you have Dangerwood carrying injuries.

Bunch of flogs at the AFL and media.

It’s either a fine or it will be sent to the tribunal. Probably the latter where the case of mistaken identity will need to be argued before the jury.
If Hawk was to get a couple of week for this he'd have to be the most penalized player of the last decade for indiscretions that haven't in any case ever required as much as a band-aid.

Where do you think that two syllable Gee-Loong chant originated? Made famous by Collingwood of all clubs and now everyone is doing it. Wouldn’t you rather be original...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Dont care for that chant either.
All chants get stopped by something actually happening. So enjoy the fact our game has nothing.

Just saw the replay! Solid win against an equally depleted Giants - looked like Greater Western Carlton at times.

Things I liked:

Marking (contested & intercept!)

Tackling! (Midfield especially. Joel with 9 tackles)

Good games from the usual suspects

Best game from Thurlow and Gregson for a while

Jack Henry. Jack. Henry!

All the young guys, in fact (except Guthrie, who wasn't bad but wasn't outstanding)

Esava could have kicked a bag. Great endeavour.

Tom Hawkins not arguing the toss with the umpires as much. Good game, unlucky not to get 5 or 6.

Stewart Crameri working his way into the game.

Scott Selwood back in.

Forward 50 pressure - did dropping Parsons help here?

Commentators showing common sense re: umpire contact, initially. Bruce after 3/4 time can GAGF.

No injuries leaving us down rotations.

Things I didn't like:

Some of the umpiring was woeful. Dangerfield denied a free kick for HTB in the 2nd, plus a few others.

Too right. Those of us on the wagon shouldn’t have to put up with these blow ins
Boy this new responsibility suits him.

In years past the swingman idea was credible but I’d play Sav now. Provides back up ruck support and looks competent up forward. He’s aggressive at the ball and contest too.

Tom avoids suspension and people on here say he’s too soft. Gets angry and suspended and he’s undisciplined...
He absolutely cannot win.

Great so we’ve got another 18 months of B.B. waffling on about losing him for a packet of peanuts. Yippee!
Agree wholeheartedly!

Geelong should move his family to Geelong, IF Kelly decides he likes living in Geelong. While I would hope that Kelly would be loyal to Geelong for giving him another chance to play AFL, it's reasonable to ask to return to WA if he is missing his family. Geelong did a great job with Harry, when he was being courted by the West. Kelly is well worth Geelong's investment.
My understanding is that Geelong are one of the best clubs in the league for external family support of players from interstate.

I imagine it's why we don't have players leaving the club often.

Just saw the replay! Solid win against an equally depleted Giants - looked like Greater Western Carlton at times.

Things I didn't like:

Some of the umpiring was woeful. Dangerfield denied a free kick for HTB in the 2nd, plus a few others.

That was funny, Tomlinson tried to kick it but missed so it just dropped to the ground, umpire calls ball up and says to Paddy “He tried to kick it! He tried to kick it” :drunk:

No I don't know of any (from any state)
We didn't give a shit about Kersten Vardy and Jansen (& with just cause)
I think Bundy was pushed out the door due to shenanigans.
We weren't keen on keeping Caddy and didn't offer Hamling a contract on the main list.
Preety bloody good since I believe we take more SA/WA players than anyone else.
Possibly Tassie & NT too.
Caddy is from Eltham.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this a free kick.
If someone tackles someone and they try to dispose of the ball by kicking it and miss is it a free?
I always believed it was???

Surely someone knows?
Yes, it is, if the player being tackled had prior opportunity. It's the actual legal disposal that matters. What they were trying to do is irrelevant.

An attempt is only relevant if they did not have prior opportunity, which may have been what the ump was talking about (incorrectly IMO).

Last edited:
Dont care for that chant either.
All chants get stopped by something actually happening. So enjoy the fact our game has nothing.

Didn’t seem to have nothing in the 2011 grand final? Didn’t get stopped by anything happening either. And when the team wins a big game enjoy the chant that will happen regardless of what you want the game to be like

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That was funny, Tomlinson tried to kick it but missed so it just dropped to the ground, umpire calls ball up and says to Paddy “He tried to kick it! He tried to kick it” :drunk:
Absolutely laughable, wasn't it? If he didn't have prior, it's illegal disposal.

"He tried to kick it!" from the umpire suggests he did have prior.

Duncan has been traded back to Perth three or four times now. Apparently.
eventually the "going home" shit stirrers will get one right.

And the claims of being sages and "see we shouldn't draft them" will ring out.

Being doing it for years and they only got Kersten right. Problem was they wanted to get rid of him so he doesn't count. It only applies to ones we want to keep that we lose.

Till then, they just keep flinging shit to see if it sticks.

Go Catters

That was a really enjoyable game to watch. There's something a bit special about this group I reckon. Plenty of times during the year we could've decided it was all too hard with things going against us but we've been relentlessly competitive. I didn't really get why Henry was picked at first but wow he can play! Big tick to the coaching and recruitment staff on that one.

I posted about a month ago that with all the injuries it could be the making of this side and it looks like it is. Everyone (all the young 'uns) learning and having a real crack and peeps sacrificing their game. Particularly Selwood who had 12 tackles and Dangerfield spending time forward. Even Crameri who first game in played a real team game. It's building real belief in the "tier 2" players who hopefully won't revert to type when Ablett, Taylor etc are back and rely on the big boys to get it done.

Also I think I'm in love with Jack Henry. Even wrote a song about him.

You're doing things that make
My flesh burn hot, oh
I got to give in,
Baby please don't stop, oh
Now look it baby, you're just nineteen

I agree. The dynamic of the back line is working so well together at the moment that I'd hate to see that broken up unless it really needs to be. They're all pretty young and relatively speaking, inexperienced, let them grow and gel together even more.

I remember not too long ago, a young back line of Scarlett, Harley, Milburn, Hunt and Enright all being roughly the same age and just growing together as a unit. In the end, at their peak, they would just handball to space because they knew one of their mates would be there for them.

You get used to things being a certain way, but in footy we know that they game doesn't stand still for anyone.
need a multi-like button. this is exactly correct. there may be a tweak with a bigger guy coming in for any gorillas in the future, and there will be some dips and clangers along the way, but enjoy the process we are watching this year.

I posted about a month ago that with all the injuries it could be the making of this side and it looks like it is. Everyone (all the young 'uns) learning and having a real crack and peeps sacrificing their game. Particularly Selwood who had 12 tackles and Dangerfield spending time forward. Even Crameri who first game in played a real team game. It's building real belief in the "tier 2" players who hopefully won't revert to type when Ablett, Taylor etc are back and rely on the big boys to get it done.

Also I think I'm in love with Jack Henry. Even wrote a song about him.

You're doing things that make
My flesh burn hot, oh
I got to give in,
Baby please don't stop, oh

Great song.
Shame the lead singer, Jesse Hughes is a dimwitted far-right flog of a man.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Geelong defeats GWS by 61 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back