Review Geelong defeats Hawks at KP by 61 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ultimate the difference is that the Carlton medical report said that Kreuzer was concussed, while Danger played out the match and there's been no reports of concussion

Penalties are based more on the outcome than the action

And that's where, and why, it's wrong.

Whilst they continue to do that they will condone the sling tackle...... In essence, it tells players you can still sling tackle, but just don't hurt the guy.

They either want it eliminated altogether, or not at all.

As usual the AFL is having a bet each way.

And that's where, and why, it's wrong.

Whilst they continue to do that they will condone the sling tackle...... In essence, it tells players you can still sling tackle, but just don't hurt the guy.

They either want it eliminated altogether, or not at all.

As usual the AFL is having a bet each way.
Is this where we need the coaches to instruct our guys to not be so quick to their feet when on the receiving end of such tackles or other reportable incidents

Not that they should play up the level of contact, such as we saw from Blicavs last year - but that it's ok to not immediately jump back to ones feet and continue to play?

Seems that's what happens with other teams, so are we just too nice sometimes and not using the system to our advantage?

Ultimate the difference is that the Carlton medical report said that Kreuzer was concussed, while Danger played out the match and there's been no reports of concussion

Penalties are based more on the outcome than the action

And Kreuzer played the next week and played well, just to show what a load of shit that medical report was.

And Kreuzer played the next week and played well, just to show what a load of shit that medical report was.

Yup, was quite clear at the time the medical department at the blues are... well frankly a bunch of petty campaigners.
It isn't so much the outcome of those tackles, but the fragility of the tacklee and the integrity of the medical department.
Danger would literally have been knocked out and he'd still have stayed on the ground, whereas someone like Kruezer falls over when someone in the stadium sneezes.

Is this where we need the coaches to instruct our guys to not be so quick to their feet when on the receiving end of such tackles or other reportable incidents

Not that they should play up the level of contact, such as we saw from Blicavs last year - but that it's ok to not immediately jump back to ones feet and continue to play?

Seems that's what happens with other teams, so are we just too nice sometimes and not using the system to our advantage?

It should be really simple.

The mere act of a sling tackle should incur an automatic week. Period.

If a player is injured as a result of the tackle, the penalty should then be increased in accordance with severity of the injury.

That's it.

Have a cry guys.
Have you never played footy?

There's grey areas. And it should always be that way.
It's interpretation.

Sooks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have a cry guys.
Have you never played footy?

There's grey areas. And it should always be that way.
It's interpretation.

Sooks.
Seems like you are sooking more than anyone that people don’t agree with you. The issue is they wanted the 2 action sling gone from the game. Yet only if someone is knocked out.

Sook.

I think it actually would be pretty hard. Systems like that generally need a measureable trigger condition that the software understands and I can't see how we get that from anything other than raw video data. When triggered from raw video feed it still needs to be looking for specific things. There's just way too many degrees of freedom in the input data. You'd find that the crowd noise would end up being way quieter for any side wearing red based purely on the suns matches data input, you'd need to remove all the Adam Goodes games where he was booed or you'd likely get an algorithm that just randomly booed players with dark skin, advertising on the barriers would end up being a trigger.

I honestly think it's the kind of project that you could sink 5 years and millions of dollars into and you'd end up with a worse system than the current.
Three years ago I'd agree, but ML has come a long way, you would train it up with literally thousands of hours of video - frameworks such as TensorFlow or Gluon would be your starting point. Your test your models with new videos, test, adjust and then test again. And the price of doing all of this has gone down massively, thanks to turf wars between Microsoft, GCP and AWS.

Watching this video in hindsight is amusing. Literally did not get a single thing right, back to the drawing board champ. Wingard's only scary contribution was his fly kick

A rather enjoyable Friday night’s viewing, despite the crowd absence.

Thoughts -

- loved the midfield’s relentless energy and movement. As said above, Joel looks fit and unrestricted but mostly I was overjoyed by Parfitt and Narkle’s ability to bring massive pressure and to exit packs at speed - can really see the potential of multiple effective clearance winners. Good support by Cutherie and Duncan, some sublime moments by Stanley and good second half by Danger and Menegola. Hawks mids were completely flummoxed and their whole game plan unraveled after half time. A thing of beauty.

- Cats defence looked rusty in first 1.5 quarters (Stewart had a ‘mare’ by his standards in the first) but got its rhythm going. MOC was the stand out - a smart/calm play reader, very good mover, fit and deceptively strong - lots of potential. Although not many stats don’t think that Bews will be dropped - their forward smalls were virtually unsighted.

- loved the quick ball into the forward corridor. Although Sav and Hawk struggled, getting the ball in quick (and often low) really helped our smalls and played chaos with their zones. As pointed out Meirs quirky kicking style must be the reason he dropped to us - such a tank, such a talent.

- the fitness of this team is so impressive. Blitz, Sel, Meirs and Menegola are stand outs but overall it’s very good. Been one of our strengths for years - plaudits to the fitness team. By comparison the Hawks looked gassed after half time - wonder about their Covid fitness at home strategy.

- Coaching- I was actually giving the points to Clarkson in the first half for tactics- Burgoyne up forward, isolating Stewart deep at full back, Breust on Danger were effective to half time. Have to give overall credit to Scott for switched on starts at Q1, 3 and 4, presumably instructions on ball movement and a much better team balance (Hawks were crazy tall at the back and it really hurt them).

Changes for next week - Rowan - a conundrum. So seemingly uninvolved for large parts of the game and yet that implied (and occasionally very real) pressure is very important. I’m sure Scott also values his ability to take contested grabs and provide lead options. He twisted his knee pretty awkwardly at one point in last qtr - I wouldn’t be surprised if they rest him anyway. If okay, leave him in unless Stevens is absolutely ready to go.
I’d also persist with Sav - he did provide more forward contest than some might credit and his backup ruckwork is important. Another 1 or 2 games like that then sure, swap for a fit Jenkins (or if a wet day, perhaps Fort, ie. less likely to be burned off and can focus on bringing the highball to the ground).

Last edited:
Dumb question: do we know yet whether we're one of the teams who gets nine home games or whether we'll only have eight? Has that fixture detail been released yet?
Was thinking the same thing.
I'm guessing we'll only get 8 because they'll all be down here and that will be reason enough for the AFL:thumbsdown:

Some saying Rohan should be dropped for Steven but I think there's an impact over and above the strength of our side.

Feel free to draw different conclusions here but on the face of it Rohan as a third tall forces the opposition to bring a tall backline. Some of the benefits on having Rohan in the side there end up being seen in the space some of our smalls get to work in.

I mean I agree with that but theres no reason Menegola can't play that role with Steven HF/mid. I also think Henry is on thin ice once Kolo is fit.

I never want them to go back to 22 games.
It's stupid.
And 34 is way, way too many.

Leave it at 17 and make each game count.

won't happen due to tv rights deal but I agree.

We looked much better as a team with Stanley in the ruck. Also with Parfitt, he brings some intensity.

I think being able to play at KP more often this year (ratio of games I mean), and shorter games, shorter season, all bodes well for our older brigade. We seem to start seasons pretty well, let's just hope they can manage the older stars this year. There is probably two blokes on our team we would struggle to cover, that being Dangerfield, and Stanley. Yes, I know, I said Stanley, he isn't the best ruck in the league but he is far better than anything else on our list for the ruck role.

getting in early if we lose LOL - just so you can say I told you so.

GO Catters
It's a fact daz - we do not transform out performances at home to away - it's the reason we continuously bomb out in finals and have such a shit finals record. We finished top last year and all year I was telling you all to calm the **** down and not put so much weight on our home wins - you all said blalala negative blalala and look what happened in finals - exactly what I said would happen. I want to see more input from our younger guys - in a year or two we will be in a big pile of shit if the older guys fall off or retire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back