Review Geelong Defeats Hawks by 23 points at MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Was quite confused Triple M was talking up McEvoy’s game. Without our looking at the stats at all, I thought Rhys and he had a good battle and any time you get two goals from your ruckman you’d take it.

Trial by media, now they're (Derm, Riewoldt, Eddie and that NM flog King) saying Hawkins gets a suspension for vigorously shoving Sicily from behind. Another few days of anguish.

Last edited:
I don't even we played that well.. Plenty of playing down to a lesser opponent

Also will massively LOL if Hawk fans try blame the umpires.. Hilarious

**** Hawthorn
The one sitting in front of us said we can't do anything without the umps help and then proceeded to leave the game early haha.

A nice check that things are rarely as brilliant or terrible as they seem.

• A two-goal game from Gary Rohan is just ok, but a four-goal game is vastly better.
  • Cam Guthrie is not a terrible player, he's an AFL-grade player who hasn't fulfilled his promise from a few years ago.
  • Blicavs isn't a walking liability, he's a very good fullback who isn't as polished as a flanker.
  • Stanley's better than he was, but he's still getting beaten most weeks.
  • Clark and Henry will be good footballers, but can have absent games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn were undermanned, but they played the more direct football when they had their chances, and made us earn the 4 points.
Always nice to see the team win on the MCG, too.

We looked classier, bigger and just better, but the game always remained just within Hawthorn's reach.

The lowlight of our collective performance was mid-way through the 2nd quarter, where we controlled possession for what seemed like a month, and yet refused to take any risk in moving it forward. Eventually Stewart turned it over by hand and Hawthorn goaled with depressing predictability.

This was balanced by a pleasing show of aerial supremacy in the latter parts of the same quarter; O'Connor>Dangerfield>Stanley all marking strongly under pressure en route to goal.

As the 2nd half wore on I felt we looked more and more in control, keeping Hawthorn at arm's length for long stretches.

Dangerfield got better and better as the game progressed, and didn't kick like the millionaire he probably is, which was a good thing.

I loved the contributions of Dahlhaus and Miers, both bobbing up with grit and composure respectively at opportune moments. Can't ask more of players than that they make the most of their ability, I thought both did this today (and have for most the year so far).

Harry Taylor's typically quirky effort featured all manner of Harry specialities, including an inspired/lucky/instinctive nutmeg-by-foot of a Hawks opponent which directly led to a Geelong goal.

I thought Ablett looked sluggish early, and one of his efforts in particular on the wing in the 1st quarter left a lot to be desired - but apparently he was just warming up, because he responded with a really impressive 2nd quarter; two goals himself (the checkside was the very definition of clinical) including a rare hanger. He continued to get involved in a lot of our better forward foray throughout the match. Finished with 3 goals and 20+ touches.

Mitch Duncan was largely unobtrusive, and yet his usage by foot was calm and measured.

Every goal in the 3rd quarter seemed significant; Tim Kelly's cultured kick to restore a 3 goal buffer midway-through was massive after we'd looked threatening for little reward.

Rohan's 4th was the one where the gap in class finally started to tip our way. Hawthorn never dropped their heads, but we were never really under siege at any point.

Mark O'Connor continues to impress me no end; he just wins or neutralizes each and every contest he's in, one way or another. For a big lump of a lad he's pretty agile. His contested mark today was awesome, and some of his tackling has been great too.

Tom Atkins gave some blue-collar midfield minutes and showed you don't have to be named Dangerfield or Selwood to put your head over the ball and fish it out to a teammate.

Rhys Stanley was probably shaded by McEvoy today, but that only goes to show how unforgiving the #1 ruck role is.
Stanley had some great moments, a couple of nice contested marks, a set shot conversion and one on the run too, and a lot of nice hands-n-knees 2nd efforts. He's holding up pretty well to date.

Top of the ladder, St Kilda thereabouts too, nice callback to 2009; 10 years n' all.

Rhys isn't a forward... It has to be Buzz if anyone, and to be honest Sav still is playing a role and it's not hurting us by him battling.. The players that could replace him are no better really
Yeah I agree. But the only way we know if Buzza any good is if give him a chance

huge sigh of relief, was in the car, 5 minutes left and the effin stream stopped, arrgh. 45 minutes of anxiety. Good to see the guys finished well.
My biggest tick for them was how they overcame the nervous/sluggish start of some of the players to win the first quarter. I thought Dahlhaus and Rohan again showed their experience, poise, and desire. They and some of the others showed priceless leadership then.
WTG!

I love Esava but I'm sorry but he needs a run in the VFL... Come on to be honest he isn't what he is before that injury.... I'm not bagging him but he needs a run in the 2s to find some form...
Bring in Fort or Buzza or even Abbott and play Stanley CHF..
BUT!. . .Sav took a Mark! Nearly kicked two goals ☺️

Dermott and Kingy being first class W*nkers trying to talk Hocking and MR committee into suspending Hawkins. Implying it is a King hit to the kidneys????

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk
Hawkins little push was to the shoulder blade, not even close to the kidneys. Not sure where Derm's kidneys are, maybe they got relocated after Yates gave him a love tap. Sicily is a flopper.

Any mention from the Fox Footy boys of Sicily's grab at Gazza's pills at 3qtr time? Perhaps he was hoping some class would rub off on him.

Hawthorn fans also had a sook about Rohan pushing Roughead in the chest, perhaps they should look at the vision imeediately prior where roughhead drove Rohans head into the turf.

Good to see their plethora of 3 game members failed to rock up today, their members section was half empty. #brokenbandwagon #DingleyVillageDunnyBlock

Actually think he’s doing all we need him to at the moment.
He doesn't have the nous to out ruck the real players. What he can do is out-athlete them around the ground. He has good impact when he does that.
Still would have loved to see him negate McEvoy marking better. Guys a real weapon for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Geelong Defeats Hawks by 23 points at MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back