Review Geelong gets the Pies by 13 points in Selwood's record breaking game

Remove this Banner Ad

What are we going to do about the midfield? As much as last night ended up being a ripper result we can’t just ignore that we were out worked and out played in the first 3 quarters.

We looked slow and fumbly. Duncan, who to his credit was better late, was woeful. As was Danger and Selwood. When Selwood got caught it was humiliating.

I still maintain, that even if it means we go back a step, that we should be playing at least one more kid through the midfield. Probably Stephens. Well, he’s really atm the only candidate.

I didn't get to watch the game last night because I've got the dreaded 'Rona (so I can't head to the pub) and I don't have Kayo.

But on sheer statistical numbers alone... look, when you get on the losing end of a +12 differential on i50s, you are very, very, very lucky to win.
So what you’re saying is like Sydney last week. Got it.

On gamestyle, we saw warts and all what we are in for this year.

About 75-80 minutes of making skill errors, pressured and unpressured, that absolutely killed us on the transition. We are no longer putting all our efforts into protecting the D50 with reinforcements so every time there’s a transition all our defenders are doing it alone. Blicavs and Kolo are suspect in this environment (they are OK at team defence).

Then something clicked and our mistakes dried up. We hit targets and as has been the transparent plan we got the ball quickly inside 50. Weight of entries generated plenty of chances and Jezza is an absolute jet at converting them.

I still believe the missing ingredient is relentless pressure from our side. We need to have the opposition under the pump all the time so that they are the ones coughing it up more than we are. I’m still seeing guarding grass legacy from the old gameplan.

I think we are in for a pretty wild ride this year. When it clicks we will be electric but there will also be periods of great frustration.

What are we going to do about the midfield? As much as last night ended up being a ripper result we can’t just ignore that we were out worked and out played in the first 3 quarters.

We looked slow and fumbly. Duncan, who to his credit was better late, was woeful. As was Danger and Selwood. When Selwood got caught it was humiliating.

I still maintain, that even if it means we go back a step, that we should be playing at least one more kid through the midfield. Probably Stephens. Well, he’s really atm the only candidate.
It seems so obvious it’s hard to believe it hasn’t happened yet. Surely we will see Stephens in the next couple of weeks. And probably Knevitt and Whyte too. We are crying out for it.

Sav gets out tapped anyway, so it just doesn't matter if he isn't rucking (well it actually does matter, but in a positive way.
It's also a wasted F50 entry just about anytime we go for Sav forward.
Can't wait for Ceglar to get fit.... we might finally be able to run onto some taps to advantage (that isn't from Hawkins rucking).
Sad thing is Ceglar got injured yesterday in the VFL

I know it’s heresy to say it around here but I’m far from convinced SDK will end up a KPD. I know that’s where he played his late junior years and it’s certainly our greatest need for him but his skill set is wasted there and I’m predicting he will excel elsewhere.

For now he has to play KPD until we draft or trade in another KPD. But i agree long term hes so mobile he could play anywhere.

Narkle is the other but he doesnt run both ways.
Knevitt will bein time.
Pity Simpson is injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems so obvious it’s hard to believe it hasn’t happened yet. Surely we will see Stephens in the next couple of weeks. And probably Knevitt and Whyte too. We are crying out for it.

Stephens just needs more vfl runs for match fitness. But i reckon he will be in soon.

But on sheer statistical numbers alone... look, when you get on the losing end of a +12 differential on i50s, you are very, very, very lucky to win.

We were +18 on i50s and +5 on scoring shots v Swans last week - swings and roundabouts.

I didn't get to watch the game last night because I've got the dreaded 'Rona (so I can't head to the pub) and I don't have Kayo.

Hate to tell you too late, but it was on channel 7

Agree with most of that, but it's hard to gauge the Lions after last night. Their opposition barely put up a whimper, and showed why they struggled to put away a glorified WAFL side last week in a depleted Eagles outfit.

Still, we owe them one from last year.

Agree. Hard to gauge Lions and us.

The worth of opposition can not be discounted. I think we could all agree now that our W1 and W2 was greatly affected by our opponents... and during the Pies game they were different at the start to the finish. I have only seen a few highlights of the Lions game but we do know they have given us trouble recently, and someone like Daniher will give us issues given our tall KPD situation.

Id not be too disapointed if I were a North supporter. They have rest their side, they probably have another year or two of talent accumulation.

The question for us is just how much talent we have ready to take over. Players like Holmes and Close gives one hope.

Didn’t see much of the game, had friends over so i had it on in the background and i was half cut. Thought we were gone for all money when we were down by 30. Next thing i look at the tv and we are in the lead. How the hell did that happen. Crazy.

As much as it’s amazing to see us comeback and win these kind of games, it’s also worrying cause you know a top 4 side would shred you if you only play 1 good quarter. Lot’s to work on.

On gamestyle, we saw warts and all what we are in for this year.

About 75-80 minutes of making skill errors, pressured and unpressured, that absolutely killed us on the transition. We are no longer putting all our efforts into protecting the D50 with reinforcements so every time there’s a transition all our defenders are doing it alone. Blicavs and Kolo are suspect in this environment (they are OK at team defence).

Then something clicked and our mistakes dried up. We hit targets and as has been the transparent plan we got the ball quickly inside 50. Weight of entries generated plenty of chances and Jezza is an absolute jet at converting them.

I still believe the missing ingredient is relentless pressure from our side. We need to have the opposition under the pump all the time so that they are the ones coughing it up more than we are. I’m still seeing guarding grass legacy from the old gameplan.

I think we are in for a pretty wild ride this year. When it clicks we will be electric but there will also be periods of great frustration.

I agree we are not protecting d50 as much although i dont think the plan is to leave the defenders one out getting oconnor menegola and miers back will help as they are 3 of our best transition runners at getting back to help outin defence.

My worry is still more most of our defenders are too suspect by foot to hit the 45 deg targets through the middle consistently i suspect the best teams will punish those turnovers and we will concede big scores. Then again give jezza and tom the right service and they will kick big scores. I think we need to move one of our better ball users like duncan into the back 6 for this to work-i wonder if the coaches are prepared to try that.

Hi all.
Great night sleep after one of the best comeback wins in ages.
What made it even better? It was COLLINGWOOD.
Enjoyed the WIN enormously.
Had plenty of folks to reply to after getting bombarded by many messages memes pics etc via various apps during the 3rd quarter.
KARMA is a BITCH. Especially when i am driving lol.
Anyway enough of that.
3 quarters of really uninspiring footy that frustrated the shyte outta me.
Skills & awareness severely lacking is what sat with me in that first 3/4 quarters.
As for the last quarter.
Kudos to Rhys Stanley, Lukey Dahl, Brad Close, Max Holmes, Mitch Duncan and 3 very special goals from JC.
Stepped up and help the resurgent cats to overrun the toothless lot from the CES.
Not getting carried away as its only round 3 and we are not playing very well for very long.
Baby steps is what i am talking about.
Hopefully by Round 10 we get into some rhythm to attack the run home to september.
We shall see.
Cheers Folks! GO CATTERS!!!

I know it’s heresy to say it around here but I’m far from convinced SDK will end up a KPD. I know that’s where he played his late junior years and it’s certainly our greatest need for him but his skill set is wasted there and I’m predicting he will excel elsewhere.

He presents well as an option both ends... Im happy to see how he develops. Id ask..does anyone think Sav could have done those handballs etc . If he could get a little stronger and take those marks then who knows what he might offer. Long term he will be a player somewhere, and I suspect he will go to the area of greatest need. KPD are usually easier to find so its possible that he is used elseswhere.

He presents well as an option both ends... Im happy to see how he develops. Id ask..does anyone think Sav could have done those handballs etc . If he could get a little stronger and take those marks then who knows what he might offer. Long term he will be a player somewhere, and I suspect he will go to the area of greatest need. KPD are usually easier to find so its possible that he is used elseswhere.

SDK is going to be a beauty, even though he gave a few in defence I thought he still
Played well down back at times - to move forward in the last and be in 3 score involvements and almost hold a mark at the top of the goal square was sensational.
Apparently Neale played well - bring him in for Sav this week?

Absolutely. From what I’ve seen Whyte is closer than Knevitt. But Stephens needs to be parachuted in asap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Geelong gets the Pies by 13 points in Selwood's record breaking game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back