Jul 11, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
NYJets, Australia
If Ablett leaves.

Reasons:
1. No point clinging onto a position in the 8 (or 4) when there is little chance of a Premiership.
2. Same policy which got them their last two flags
3. Have a good base to build off with Selwood, Taylor etc, and two first rd draft picks for Ablett.

Pack a few players off to GWS and GC and suddenly they're sitting on a gold mine of draft picks.

This. Could really build another great side on the back of a few years of pain.

Sell those that won't be there for the next flag, get the picks and get the talent.

This. Could really build another great side on the back of a few years of pain.

Sell those that won't be there for the next flag, get the picks and get the talent.

harsh but true.

sucks that a few of our champs will end up in different jumpers but the club is bigger than the individual.

WHEN Ablett leaves.

Reasons:
1. No point clinging onto a position in the 8 (or 4) when there is little chance of a Premiership.
3. Have a good base to build off with Selwood, Taylor etc, and two first rd draft picks for Ablett.

No Ablett, no "Bomber", no Costa - it'll never be the same at Kardinia Park.

It truly is the end of an era. :(

Harsh, but I agree.

Ottens
Milburn
Ling (too slow now, tries his heart out, but they just run away from him)
Mooney

Byrnes to go. They talk about his pace but he has nothing else.
Rooke to retire?

I think Corey has enough points in the bank and has earnt a chance at hopefully an injury free season in '11.

Perhaps even a new coach and fresh game plan or at least a new game plan.

Some good youngs players got opportunities this season, get them in and get them going next year.

Don't make the mistake that Adelaide did this year and let players hang on too long.

If Ablett leaves.

Reasons:

Pack a few players off to GWS and GC and suddenly they're sitting on a gold mine of draft picks.

Agree with this. It would be a ruthless decision but I guess that's how it has to be now.

not enough clubs take advantage of the currency their experienced players have, footy clubs are too much about honouring players, but in a sport where youth acadamies do not exist, they need to be ruthless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First of all congrats to the Cats for their last 4 years. It's something that has made the supporters of all other clubs jealous. And most of you have carried this success with class. But it's all over. You are not going to win the flag next year.

Milburn-Probably will retire
Ling-I would make him retire
Mooney-Can stay on but if he wants to go north that's okay
Moving on Mumford could bite heavily as Ottens isn't the player he once was.
Rooke-Retire

Don't make the mistake Essendon made after 2000/2001 and keep thinking you are a shot. We were thereabouts to 2004 and have sat in the wilderness for 6 years. Be brave like Adelaide were under Malcolm Blight and move on a few club legends. It's difficult as those older guys are the fabric of the place, but you can't be too nostalgic or the club will suffer in the long-term.

I think so.

Guys like Mitch Duncan and Taylor Hunt in.

Byrnes, Wojo, Stevie J, Joel Corey, Ottens, and Hawkins on the trade table or delist.
Ling, probably keep one more year.

Build the team around Selwood and Bartel
Nothing wrong with those 4, besides Corey who is probably a little too slow now. Stevie J just got an AA guernsey FFS. Ling and Milburn should retire now, and Scarlett should follow within the next 2 years.

I'd be trading Hawkins before anyone else. He still has a fair bit of currency.

They should try and get as many picks out of GC and GWS as possible.

Don't make the mistake Essendon made after 2000/2001 and keep thinking you are a shot. We were thereabouts to 2004 and have sat in the wilderness for 6 years. Be brave like Adelaide were under Malcolm Blight and move on a few club legends.

Yeah, the post-Blight years at the Crows have been a non-stop succession of premierships.

Yeah, the post-Blight years at the Crows have been a non-stop succession of premierships.

Considering how young their dual Premiership sides were (half the team in the 1997 and 1998 Grand Finals for Adelaide were just 24 years or under, and Darren Jarman was the only over-30), it's amazing how quickly it fell apart for Adelaide post-1998.

J_Moore obviously confusing the fact Sydney topped up their list with ready made draftees and fringe players with the possibility Sydney have somehow disproved the cyclical nature of modern football, based on the fact they took an ageing team from outside the eight to a semi final.

Its about winning premierships, J_Moore.

Geelong are going to have to start rebuilding now. Losing Ablett will be a good thing, open the cap up and get quality draft picks. If they try to hang on for greatness they will creat a premiership drought.

J_Moore obviously confusing the fact Sydney topped up their list with ready made draftees and fringe players with the possibility Sydney have somehow disproved the cyclical nature of modern football, based on the fact they took an ageing team from outside the eight to a semi final.

Its about winning premierships, J_Moore.

It's not all about winning premierships. It's all about the show.

15 of the 16 clubs' supporters, that's 93% of all AFL fans, finish each season without seeing their team win a flag. And yet they come back the next year. That's because it's showbiz and the fans like the show that the players put on.

Look at the crowds Ablett senior pulled in the 80s & 90s. Cats never won a flag then but the people streamed in to watch them.

It's not all about premierships. They are way overrated.

I'm talking about him moving on McDermott and co when he got to the club. I'm pretty sure that move netted the club back to back flags. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I assumed you must've been talking about the Crows after they won the flags, because that situation most closely resembles where Geelong are at now.

But if you're talking about when Blight ARRIVED at the club...

Blight took over a team that was doing badly (12th), delisted older players, then managed to win the flag in his first and second years at the helm. And things then fell apart.

You're saying there's a lesson in that for the Cats? That Thompson should take a team that did well (2nd), delist older players, and expect to do better in the next 2 years than he did this year?
Even (if we accept your premise that football is governed by some mysterious cyclical forces that mean what is true for one club in one year is true for all clubs in all years) that means they'll go 12 years without a premiership after that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back