Geelong: Should we really respect them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not a troll. Let's have a look at the facts. Many of their best players, players who they would have never won a premiership without came both directly and indirectly due to the father/ son rule.

Sure they didn't bottom out. But why would they need to? They got very lucky.

Thoughts?

Respect them? Absolutely, only a fool would not.

Fear them? Not so much anymore.

Even that is incorrect, as Hawkins could have been picked before out pick at 7. Still would have got Selwood.

We only really got an advantage on the F/S for Hawkins. So take him out and I'm sure we would still be right.

You clearly do not know the new father son rules.
The old rules were a third round pick and thats the rule we got Hawkins with.
The new rule is clubs can nominate what pick they wish to use to get another clubs father son player.
For Hawkins for example Pre Draft Day North Melbourne nominate that they will use there pick 3 (Ended up Hanen) to draft Hawkins and if Geelong dont agree to use there next pick after 3 which was pick 7 for him then he will go to North Melbourne on draft day for pick 3.
Other clubs definatly would have made Geelong use there pick 7 to pick up Hawkins and therefore we would not have had that pick to use on Selwood.
Same as the Bulldogs having to use there pick 14 last year to get Cordy because the Saints nominated pre draft that they would uso there pick 13 for him.
Its just good for us that the rule was changed the next year and we got him with our 3rd rounder

So you are the incorrect one and not me.

FWIW, Collingwood have had more Father/Son picks than Geelong.

Ssh....don't bring up facts in this troll thread.Whoops,the OP said it wasn't a troll thread. :rolleyes:
Perhaps we should be come failures every year and get the #1 draft pick each year,just to fail again the next year.How many top 10 picks have Melbourne had in the last 5 years ?
and yet they'll still a joke of a club.

BTW,every club can get F/S selections.Not our fault if ex-Melbourne players produce girls or duds.

No he wasn't...
Geelong were ridiculed for taking him at the time as it was felt he was picked on name only.
He was seen as lazy but talented. Certainly not expected to be a Premier MF. Hell he didn't get into our MF for 4 seasons!
Hawkins is the only genuine 1st rounder we picked up cheaply, but it's hard to make a case that he won us a flag!
Scarlo wasn't seen as a gun as a junior.
Blake...good ordinary ruckman.
There are plenty of gun palyers with other teams that have done well under F/S...
James Hird...the Shaws...the Clokes...Toovey....Jonathon Brown...Silvani...Waite...the Tucks...
It's what you do with them that matters in the end.

James Hird was NOT a F/S pick. His grandfather was a former president (Alan Hird) & I think his father was also involved in the club but he was free & available to every other team several times over. Apparently (if memory serves)the swans may have been able to pick him up under their zone but chose not to. Essendon's F/S picks have been Fletcher (no idea where he would have otherwise been rated), Watson (who was definately not rated that highly pre-draft), Neagle (who we were criticised for even using a 3rd round pick for) & Daniher who was up for bidding to all clubs but only North offered a pick & so Essendon had to use our 3rd rounder.

If memory serves.

Melbourne lobbied the VFL to create a rule allowing a club to recruit the sons of past players. This was to ensure that they got Ron Barassi, who at the time, was zoned to Carlton.

So really, the Father/Son rule wouldn't exist without Melbourne. :thumbsu:

So we shouldn't be respected because some of our best players came to Geelong via the F/S rule? Out of curiosity, what do you think of Melbourne's unusually large number of high draft picks in recent years? If you guys go on to win a flag in 5 years time, does that mean Melbourne doesn't deserve to be respected? - I'm not asking you because you're a Demons fan, I'm asking you because I'm curious to know your stance on taking advantage of the draft system and use it as a comparison.

Getting a high PP or #1 draft pick is far more advantageous than using the F/S rule on most occasions. The club is very limited with the latter, whereas the former allows you to take your pick from a much larger group of talented youngsters. So if I agreed with your logic, I would also have to conclude that St Kilda, Hawthorn and Carlton are far less deserving of respect because they have had PP.

This is a very simple way of looking at things. You forget that high draft picks don't win you flags, it's what you do with said players that makes a club successful. It would be wrong to overlook our recruiting team, our trainers, Bomber's game plan and the team culture and simply conclude that we've been lucky with the F/S rule, therefore not worthy of respect.

Crap! Had he not been F/S he would have been taken late first round. Of course no one would have predicted he'd be this good, but none are.

So no-one predicted he'd be good but they'd take him first round????
Full of shit, mate....
All the speculation at the time was that he'd be a good ordinary player and not worthy of a 1st round pick.
Bad attempt to re-write history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

James Hird was NOT a F/S pick. His grandfather was a former president (Alan Hird) & I think his father was also involved in the club but he was free & available to every other team several times over. Apparently (if memory serves)the swans may have been able to pick him up under their zone but chose not to. Essendon's F/S picks have been Fletcher (no idea where he would have otherwise been rated), Watson (who was definately not rated that highly pre-draft), Neagle (who we were criticised for even using a 3rd round pick for) & Daniher who was up for bidding to all clubs but only North offered a pick & so Essendon had to use our 3rd rounder.

Fair enough...my bad...

You clearly do not know the new father son rules.
The old rules were a third round pick and thats the rule we got Hawkins with.
The new rule is clubs can nominate what pick they wish to use to get another clubs father son player.
For Hawkins for example Pre Draft Day North Melbourne nominate that they will use there pick 3 (Ended up Hanen) to draft Hawkins and if Geelong dont agree to use there next pick after 3 which was pick 7 for him then he will go to North Melbourne on draft day for pick 3.
Other clubs definatly would have made Geelong use there pick 7 to pick up Hawkins and therefore we would not have had that pick to use on Selwood.
Same as the Bulldogs having to use there pick 14 last year to get Cordy because the Saints nominated pre draft that they would uso there pick 13 for him.
Its just good for us that the rule was changed the next year and we got him with our 3rd rounder

So you are the incorrect one and not me.
At the time of the draft, the old rules were still in place. So yet again, you are mistaken.

Haven't you heard? Nobody wins a flag because they deserve to, only because they are lucky. Cats fans started the trend last season, so now they have to put up with it.

I'd rather have good genes than be a bunch of filthy bottom feeding tankers. Hope you enjoyed the day Hawk. I sure as shit did. :D

regards,

REB

Yeah, clearly nothing to respect about Geelong. I mean, what have they done really:

Showing faith in a coach everybody said was dead in the water
Two flags in three years
A couple of Brownlows in the last few years
Established a dynasty after Brisbane
Been the class of the league for the last three years (maybe the Saints are next)
No. Nothing great about any of that!

They actually didnt achieve that on the F/S rule alone or by dumb luck! As for the comment about taking Ablett, Selwood, Hawkings out and no flag, well take out Franklin, Hodge, Roughead - no Hawks flag. Take out three top players from any side and they wont win too many flags.

This thread is too good for Bay 13. Geelong deserves respect for what they have achieved and cheap snipes really dont stand up to scrutiny.

This is not a troll. Let's have a look at the facts. Many of their best players, players who they would have never won a premiership without came both directly and indirectly due to the father/ son rule.

Thoughts?

stupid post by the OP.

we need to remember this thread for when melbourne fold after failing to capitalise on their tanked priority picks.:thumbsu:

I still cant believe this thread was started by a Melbourne supporter, irony X1 billion.

Thoughts?
Not a troll? You think Geelongs success is lucky! Let me talk to you about luck. Your crap team will be lucky to win a game next year you w***er.

I respected every premiership side from more than 1 leauge over the last 20yrs(even if they were Port Adelaide maggies!!!) Get the **** out!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back