Autopsy Geelong smashed by Demons in PF and its gonna be a long summer

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was really evident how much better their midfield & defence were than ours & it’s not a surprise really when you simply look at the talent of the individual players, in a way credit has to go to our coaches for getting us as far as they have with the declining talent we have.

Shameful performance - thank goodness it didnt go over 100 pts - and thank goodness it wasnt GF - and god help the Bulldogs and Port - because they are going to cop the same .Only knock on the drafting and 18 team comp - is a side just comes in dominates wins 3 flags- Melb will be the 5th team to do this - they will win 3 -then get old - and then another team will come along and win 3

Geelong have got a cancer right through their team called short passing - you look at Toohey - very experienced player - like a lot of them got no idea to do with the ball - the short passing is the biggest killer - it will beat average to low teams thats it

Blight at the end of 94 had a year to go on his contract - but he stood down- i hope C Scott does the same - this possession game does your head in

Rebuilding from the bottom is hard. They themselves have proven that with how many times they had to do it over and over again before they got it right. Also need the right people in the right places.
Sure, but I'm not all that excited by the myth that they are some bunch of young down at heel scrappers who gave worked their way to the top. Put Gawn and Oliver in our team and we annihilate most opposition.

We need to recruit some more skilled players. A one-off game is one thing but that's 2 in 3 weeks where our skills have been deplorable and haven't held up against teams that apply pressure. GWS didn't play a pressure game and we got away with it. Need to start drafting skilful players so we aren't constantly papering over the cracks.

Chris Scott press conference preview: "It's fine"

Attachments

• 1631278007738.png
    1631278007738.png
    54 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
We gave them the flag when we let them come back in round 23. That game gave them the confidence they needed.
WE gave them the confidence. Sheer arrogance.
A lot of our recent finals failures have been down to sheer stupidity. Just doing dumb things. We love shooting ourselves in the foot and repeating that process over and over and over…….

How’s the kpi’s going BC? Top 4? Members? Corporate sponsors? Tick tick tick. ...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... and? ...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

It looked like the cats put the cue in the rack when the dees kicked a couple of goals after half time. The dees were brilliant for the whole game. Everything was in their favour…skills, midfield, lucky bounces and ricochets, umpiring. Every time they slipped over they got a free kick, but umpires ultimately irrelevant after half time.
The cue was bent and way too short from the start..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rebuilding from the bottom is hard. They themselves have proven that with how many times they had to do it over and over again before they got it right. Also need the right people in the right places.

The problem is you need to be shit for a long time and there’s no guarantee of succeeding using this approach. Melb look like they may finally have success from the tank years though.

I feel like I need a bath to scrub this off. We can't keep turning up like this in finals, but I feel it won't be our choice going forward. Melbourne, Bulldogs, Richmond, Port all have a younger list and have been able to show up in finals and cope with the pressure. We'll be on the outer next year I feel.

In terms of what we can/should do there's not a whole lot right now that will fix it. Our list is what we have and it can't significantly change for the time being with a maxed out salary cap and limited draft picks.

I feel it would be redundant to start a rebuild when you have a list capable of reaching a PF. Two things I would like to see:

1 - Scarlett to take a step back in decision making and match committee. Train up the young backs as much as you want but the players we choose in the back half consistently cannot get it done and at the heart of it is decisions like playing Z. Guthrie, and Kolo getting THREE YEARS

2 - Start filtering through younger players like we used to. When young players were brought into the side when Scott got here they were given 4 games in a row to find their feet. Now we throw them in and out like they are yesterday's fashion.

There's a word that many here have used to describe awful performances by the club in the past. And I always thought it never quite fitted with the facts on display. Well, until tonight, that is.

That. Was. Putrid.

Getting belted is one thing. And it's actually a really bad thing. But giving up very early in the 'getting belted' is monumentally worse in my view. The only thing worse than how we evaporated under their pressure was how we threw in the towel with vast swathes of the game left to play.

So many played their worst game I can ever remember out there tonight. If you're writing off careers, you'd have an endless list to choose from with what we dished up. The mental demons of the playing group went straight past 'rattled' to 'whatever'. And that is a million miles beyond acceptable.

Despite what will inevitably go on right away here, now is not the time to evaluate the players that need to go and all the changes that need to be made. There will be plenty of opportunity for that when sober heads can prevail. In the meantime, I hope every player and every member of the coaching staff take it upon themselves to ask whether they are going to be part of the solution or part of the problem.

Because we sure as hell can't go into next year without some massive recalibrations in both areas if we want to be remotely competitive in '22 and beyond.

Totally shattered, of course. But tomorrow's another day and next season will be another year following the club I still love.

Love's crazy like that, after all. And games like that one (as abysmal as it was) just make that even more apparent.

Last edited:
The season went on for a month too long for this old tired team. The lose against gws, the first half against the Saints, the finally quarter against Melbourne, the game against port and the first half against gws in the final are all indicators of this

It goes back earlier than that. The Collingwood and Carlton games - puke.

Shameful performance - thank goodness it didnt go over 100 pts - and thank goodness it wasnt GF - and god help the Bulldogs and Port - because they are going to cop the same .Only knock on the drafting and 18 team comp - is a side just comes in dominates wins 3 flags- Melb will be the 5th team to do this - they will win 3 -then get old - and then another team will come along and win 3

Geelong have got a cancer right through their team called short passing - you look at Toohey - very experienced player - like a lot of them got no idea to do with the ball - the short passing is the biggest killer - it will beat average to low teams thats it

Blight at the end of 94 had a year to go on his contract - but he stood down- i hope C Scott does the same - this possession game does your head in

This was always on the cards.
The margin certainly not what many expected but a loss, definitely.

Scott will probably get a contract extension. It seems like he can do no wrong.

Fingers crossed Tom Stewart doesn't suffer any setbacks after trying to race back for the grand final.

Funny, but it was entirely predictable. Don’t feel too bad. What happens next will be the interesting bit.
I’m kind of looking forward to seeing change. We can still be ok if we bring in 5 or 6 young blokes like sdk, evans, kruegar, cooper stevens etc. The spine is still there. Play the young guys with the vets to teach them on field.

And we still have youngsters like holmes, henry, close etc.

But we must get rid of scott. He will want to back in all the old washed up guys.

The worst thing is nothing will change. The club will do nothing and we will play next year probably win 14-16 matches with older players then get belted in finals.

Need to make hard calls. Maybe a PF thrashing coach will finally give up on his project boys. Guys like Kolo and Atkins, what's the point making smaller and smaller roles for them to give them the illusion they are succeeding? Come 150 games they should be taking on more and more responsibility, seems like it is less and less. Not only are they not dangerous with ball in hand, they seem shit scared of the ball.

Guess Selwood is done in the middle, need some replacements. If Melbourne get a good forward they will be hard to beat for a while, so many of their good players are 25,26.

Would you rather have a tantrum over the internet about something out of your control ?

it sucks and changes need to be made but there’s more to life than having a tantrum over a loss
If you come on after an effort like that and preach moderation I question whether you care enough. Should be baying for blood. But each to his/her own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back