Unofficial Preview Geelong V GoldCoast Rd 11 at Metricon Sat Jun2 @4:35

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see a mirror imagine of the Essendon game and a 6 goal loss. We are ridiculously short favourites. Honestly thinking of punching some coin on the Suns.
They have a lot of young kids in that side. I was a bit wary before the Carlton game but I'm fairly rather confident now for some reason.

Pretty good side picked.
Black definitely deserved another game. Jones maybe line ball but good for his morale not to go straight out after one game - his forward pressure is probably better than Gregson at the moment.

Be interesting to swing Henry forward even for some cameos - good speed particularly for his size and very good in the air. Could take some pressure off the double team of Hawk.

Game plan - got to stop the clearances and the outside run and carry through the middle. Got to get numbers around the contest with high intensity- would play an extra at the back off the square and all forwards except two really high, off the square at bounces or right beside the GC backline runners.

A glass half full thought ...

Can the form against Calton be a positive ... we played rubbish but thats no secret. Plenty are no predicting a Suns upset and now there should be now false bravado about cruising up for a bit of wet and wild after the game ... We play some serious side after this match... I suspect if there was a dull edge on the razor before last week... that razor has been well and truly stropped now.

And if we cant handle their pressure up at the Gold Coast then it clarifies where we sit. Some honest assessment is likely to be delivered.

So I think we will come out and play well. The bigger ground may just be what GA needs.

Two weeks since the GC played. They will run us ragged with their leg speed.
Our form in the last fortnight has been deplorable.
GC by 3 goals, with them getting off to a flyer and us out scoring them in the last 3/4s.

Our form in the last fortnight has been deplorable.
but no where near as bad as the Suns. They just don't have enough quality on the park. Our back 6 are playing well. Although we are getting belted in the clearances, it isn't converting into forward 50 entries for the opposition.

We are more likely to win than to lose.

A lot of pressure of Hawkins to score, going to need a good spread of goal kickers from mids and smalls. Not expecting him to rip the game apart but hoping Buzza plays well. Compete hard and contribute then build confidence from there. Really happy JJ got another game he gets in the right crumbing spots and puts on good pressure. Let’s hope we see that this week he’s the type of player we need.

Crameri very unlucky in my view. Plays one bad game and he's out. That must really hurt any confidence he built up. He'd been very serviceable up until the Blues game, I still think there is a role for him..

Surprised the Suns dropped Lyons, I thought he'd been a handy recruit for them.
Yep, he averaging 24 dpp (12.5 contested) 6 tackles, 6 clearances and 4 I50's per game. He'd be sitting top 3 in their B&F at the moment so I'm as surprised as you are.

I said last week before the Carlton game that it wasn't a concern, this one would be, and I haven't changed that view.

On paper we should be winning, but it all depends on what sort of attitude we approach the game with that will determine the result. With two weeks before the bye and two difficult opponents to face after this week, there should be no complacency whatsover tomorrow afternoon. Win and we go 7-4 before the Roos and Richmond games. Lose and it's potentially 6-7 going into the bye, where top 4 is definitely out of the question and even playing finals becomes doubtful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except whenever we go to a QLD game together we win. Remember that Brisbane game a few year ago when Hawkins kicked 6 goals in the teaming rain? Well you can see us both on the replay after Selwood snapped his goal ... we're virtually the only ones left in the outer and we were drenched. We were sitting directly behind the middle of the goals on the fence. And also that game where Jonathon Brown stepped on Egan's foot in 2007. If I remember correctly it was the same game Boris was running around without any shorts.
So we just need to shut the border and not let him in Victoria. This is serious business, we need wins.

If replacing Sav with Buzza doesn’t pan out the way they had hoped I’d really like to see us completely change our structure and run with a smaller/faster side that focuses on quick ball movement and tackle pressure. Use defensive mids like Scooter & Parfitt lining up next to either Joel or Danger. Have Duncan and Kelly on the wings and then rotate them through the middle when resting the other midfielders. Go in with one tall forward in Hawkins and play him as a high half forward and leave Menzel or Ablett deep with the likes of Fogarty, McCarthy or Cocky around them for forward pressure. The backline stays the same but Hendo could replace Blitz at times so Blitz could help in the ruck and only use the best ruckmen from either Abbott or Smith depending on form. Does anyone else think quicker ball movement with more intensity is the answer to our problems? I just feel the brand of footy we have been playing lately has been really bad too watch and not sustainable come finals!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If replacing Sav with Buzza doesn’t pan out the way they had hoped I’d really like to see us completely change our structure
needs more Menzel ....... we looked totally different with Menz up front and Hawk on the 50 line.

I said last week before the Carlton game that it wasn't a concern, this one would be, and I haven't changed that view.

On paper we should be winning, but it all depends on what sort of attitude we approach the game with that will determine the result. With two weeks before the bye and two difficult opponents to face after this week, there should be no complacency whatsover tomorrow afternoon. Win and we go 7-4 before the Roos and Richmond games. Lose and it's potentially 6-7 going into the bye, where top 4 is definitely out of the question and even playing finals becomes doubtful.
Yep. To be honest, I feel that this game will define our season in a way.
- If we lose, we're a genuine mid-table team who (even if we scrape into the 8 by season end) will be forced to ask the hard questions of rebuild/coaching as our loading up of trades has clearly not worked.
- If we win, we're doing what we need to in order to be in a position to contend later in the year with the possibility of returning players to make a big push in finals.
I will finish this weekend either depressed or excited.

Yep. To be honest, I feel that this game will define our season in a way.
- If we lose, we're a genuine mid-table team who (even if we scrape into the 8 by season end) will be forced to ask the hard questions of rebuild/coaching as our loading up of trades has clearly not worked.
- If we win, we're doing what we need to in order to be in a position to contend later in the year with the possibility of returning players to make a big push in finals.
I will finish this weekend either depressed or excited.
If we lose, peg us in for no more than 8 wins for the whole season. If we win we're likely a 14 win team. Either way I don't think 2018 is our year, the ridiculous amount of injuries has really derailed us.

If replacing Sav with Buzza doesn’t pan out the way they had hoped I’d really like to see us completely change our structure and run with a smaller/faster side that focuses on quick ball movement and tackle pressure. Use defensive mids like Scooter & Parfitt lining up next to either Joel or Danger. Have Duncan and Kelly on the wings and then rotate them through the middle when resting the other midfielders. Go in with one tall forward in Hawkins and play him as a high half forward and leave Menzel or Ablett deep with the likes of Fogarty, McCarthy or Cocky around them for forward pressure. The backline stays the same but Hendo could replace Blitz at times so Blitz could help in the ruck and only use the best ruckmen from either Abbott or Smith depending on form. Does anyone else think quicker ball movement with more intensity is the answer to our problems? I just feel the brand of footy we have been playing lately has been really bad too watch and not sustainable come finals!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think we're getting closer to what you say, especially regarding the forward line - dropping Crameri being a prime example. He's just too slow for such a one-sided player when he finds himself up the ground. When he plays again, it will be due to Hawkins being injured or rested, where he stays pretty much as a marking full-forward. Can't see both in the same side, especially with Menzel and Cocky coming back at some point.

If we lose, peg us in for no more than 8 wins for the whole season. If we win we're likely a 14 win team. Either way I don't think 2018 is our year, the ridiculous amount of injuries has really derailed us.
So in effect this is a 24 point game!

Yep, he averaging 24 dpp (12.5 contested) 6 tackles, 6 clearances and 4 I50's per game. He'd be sitting top 3 in their B&F at the moment so I'm as surprised as you are.
His ball use is poor would be the main reason he was dropped, went at 41% in China and is only running at 59% for the season.

His ball use is poor would be the main reason he was dropped, went at 41% in China and is only running at 59% for the season.
I reckon Lyons is one of those really good extractor types, a poor mans Dangerfield. He just gets a lot of the ball but doesn't always do great things with it. Still easily in their best 18 for me. I would have thought he'd be in the first 6 or so picked each week.

but no where near as bad as the Suns. They just don't have enough quality on the park. Our back 6 are playing well. Although we are getting belted in the clearances, it isn't converting into forward 50 entries for the opposition.

We are more likely to win than to lose.
Says you. Like the Essendon game, these are the Games we are MORE likely to lose.
We’ve. Got a long long track record of complacency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back