Preview Geelong V Hawthorn Mon April 18 3:20 pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I thought the form of blitz as the second ruck was outstanding. Id like to see him continue in the role if possible.

He was very good but there’s a nagging doubt about the game being played at KP rather than the ‘G. Can he perform the same role with similar effectiveness in a big final at the G?. He’s struggled to win enough footy in the past when playing midfield. See how he goes now I suppose.

I wouldnt play a tall on CJ anyway id play a smaller player who can chase and tackle and harass him. Close maybe?
St Kilda had a heap of dangerous smalls forward so he had to play on Brad Hill. Hill dominated so you probably prefer a small who can be dangerous which is probably Close. Lack of pressure from the mids didn't help though on the weekend
With the hawks forward line, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Stanley rested and a Blicavs to ruck a full game and run Reeves absolutely ragged
Hopefully back to 2 rucks this week now Lynch has cleared concussion then covid. Reeves has been the solo ruck only by necessity as we have only 3 and 2 were unavailable

Nice to see Brad Close on Ling's podcast (though as usual Scott 'Typo' Gullan wasted half the time with his idea of humour). Close came across as a very sensible young fellow.

I'd love to see Nick Stevens and/or Cooper S play on Monday but I doubt very much it will happen - maybe in the next month though.

Sav is not needed this week; and incidentally I don't think Danger is a selector so perhaps he should keep those opinions to himself.
Of course Danger is going to praise any team mate to come back in about Sav, he wouldn't say anything bad about him to the media...

What si your opinion on rests.... does it add something to long term benefit for the mature player.
100% yes.
I am rapt CS and MC are doing this again.
We did it in 2011, admittedly after a crazy 13 consecutive wins.
Convinced that player management is critical for our list.

Nice to see Brad Close on Ling's podcast (though as usual Scott 'Typo' Gullan wasted half the time with his idea of humour). Close came across as a very sensible young fellow.

I'd love to see Nick Stevens and/or Cooper S play on Monday but I doubt very much it will happen - maybe in the next month though.

Sav is not needed this week; and incidentally I don't think Danger is a selector so perhaps he should keep those opinions to himself.
Unlike all of us here??
But permissible if his praise is someone you agree with?

100% yes.
I am rapt CS and MC are doing this again.
We did it in 2011, admittedly after a crazy 13 consecutive wins.
Convinced that player management is critical for our list.

In 2011...would it be fair to say we rested those who needed a rest? To rest before one needs a rest is sort of like mechanical preventative maintenance... it sort of make a common sense that even when a player feels is fine there would be an underlying fatigue that would bring him close to breakdown. Is there some extra benefit for mature players than young because the young recover more naturally? Or does the mature body, hardened by years of training endure the daily grind better than the young. I think we have an understanding that young players take years to build to a mature body. Why only older players , dont all players benefit from the concept?

I suppose its a sports medicine type discussion. Is there any data on the concept to prove worth? How does the concept of rest work in differently sports like cycling or long distance running. I seem to remember Moneghetti saying he ran about 180Km a week. Putting aside chemical help , it seems cycling puts a daily strain on the body for long hours, wear a tear and yet they are expected to do it day after day in their tours. Maybe baseball is a good comparison..I think they have a rotation for pitchers.

I hope it works well, for if it is JS last season , I can only hope he sees out his outstanding career in his best shape and good form in the finals if we get there.

We lost to Carlton a few years ago at home if i remember correctly and i would count them as rubbish at the time

Wasn't that the game where Sav punched a certain Hawkins goal back into play and we ended up losing by less than a kick?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we lost, but it was a bad loss - it wasn't by less than a kick.

This is the only game Carlton have won at KP in the last 20 years (to be fair, they only started playing us down here again in 2018).

1649802378192.png

It was looking like a bad loss at 3/4 time until we extracted the digit in the last quarter. The Sav incident happened midway through the 3rd quarter.

This is the only game Carlton have won at KP in the last 20 years (to be fair, they only started playing us down here again in 2018).

View attachment 1371061

It was looking like a bad loss at 3/4 time until we extracted the digit in the last quarter. The Sav incident happened midway through the 3rd quarter.
Cheers. I must have lost interest at 3/4 time! lol

View attachment 1371061

This was also the game where Ablett missed a set shot from 20m out in the last five minutes (which might have put us in front IIRC), and Betts won a HTB decision against Henry in the dying seconds as we were about to go inside 50m again.

This was also the game where Ablett missed a set shot from 20m out in the last five minutes (which might have put us in front IIRC), and Betts won a HTB decision against Henry in the dying seconds as we were about to go inside 50m again.
And Sav spoiled a certain goal going through for us.

View attachment 1371061

Frustrated World Cup GIF

In 2011...would it be fair to say we rested those who needed a rest? To rest before one needs a rest is sort of like mechanical preventative maintenance... it sort of make a common sense that even when a player feels is fine there would be an underlying fatigue that would bring him close to breakdown. Is there some extra benefit for mature players than young because the young recover more naturally? Or does the mature body, hardened by years of training endure the daily grind better than the young. I think we have an understanding that young players take years to build to a mature body. Why only older players , dont all players benefit from the concept?

I suppose its a sports medicine type discussion. Is there any data on the concept to prove worth? How does the concept of rest work in differently sports like cycling or long distance running. I seem to remember Moneghetti saying he ran about 180Km a week. Putting aside chemical help , it seems cycling puts a daily strain on the body for long hours, wear a tear and yet they are expected to do it day after day in their tours. Maybe baseball is a good comparison..I think they have a rotation for pitchers.

I hope it works well, for if it is JS last season , I can only hope he sees out his outstanding career in his best shape and good form in the finals if we get there.
I think it is multifactorial, and the HP team, physios, docs, coaches, are continually monitoring load management and wellness.
Byes come into their calculations, but it was a critical factor that we missed the prefinals week off, as that was an important part of their planning.
Young players definitely get managed- the main reason many are not subjected to senior games too soon.
One of our recruits still has growth related issues today, and may take a while to grow into his body, reading reports on his progress here(FK).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back