Preview Geelong V Melbourne PF 2 Fri Sept 10 750pm @ the WAC OPTUS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question is who replaces Parfitt? One option is to move Duncan back into the midfield and bring in someone to play half-forward like Higgins or Narkle or Dalhaus (though, I hope not). Duncan has been back a couple of weeks now and should be ready to go back to the midfield.
Simpson as well. Can play mid or half forward. Liked his intensity in past finals, you know what he'll bring.

The funny thing is had we not blown that lead in the last round this is the exact same Prelim we likely would have played. Melbourne in Perth the only difference is we would be the “home” team.
Normally you'd say that at least the QF loser had to go through the SF but in our case the game was pretty chill actually. If you showed footage you wouldn't be able to pick up that's it's final.if anything the game allowed some guys to get into some form and finalised our structure.

Compare that with last night's when blokes were throwing themselves around like madmen lol.

The umpires determined the result last. In particular the free awarded at the last centre bounce with a minute to go was an utter disgrace - the players should have been left to play.

Not expecting to win but we’re not completely out of it.

Already been said many times but midfield need to lift with Parfitt out. O’Connor also missing so not an option.

Selwood, a touch out of form
Danger injured
Guthrie below his standards
Duncan back
Stanley showing a bit
Holmes is so raw but we need him to play out of his skin

It’s a big ask but these guys just have to play well above recent output otherwise game over.

Without Stewart, I don’t think we can counter punch all game. We got on top against the Dees when we won it in the middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have to say this is the flattest I've felt going into a prelim. Doesn't feel like we're going to bring anything near our best and Melbourne have been the best team all year. If we do pull our best out of the hat of course we're a chance.

The big question is who's in for Parfitt, he's a big loss against a midfield we'll be hoping just to stick with. With MOC also out we don't have an option for adding a defensive side to the midfield. Often when we've gotten well beaten in the midfield it's been our defence that has bailed us out but without Stewart (and Harry) it doesn't look a-grade. So our path to victory is something like a huge game from Dangerfield, which looked possible a month ago but less so now. And then our forward line needs to fire, which it's capable of but they've got a good backline too. Just a very solid side, Melbourne, so it's going to be tough if they don't shit the bed.

My honest tip is the Dees by a lot but let's see. I said in the other thread that Higgins is my choice to replace Parfitt. Nowhere near like-for-like but he's the only potential high quality player we have on the sidelines. Let's see him angry and hungry.

The last game between the two sides shows how both sides can win. I think having Esava in will be huge. Need to keep Lever and May occupied. It wasn’t just when the ball was coming into the f50 but when Hawkins took the ruck it left May alone to zone off.
It’s not that important how many touches Esava has but he needs to hit the contests and assist in the ruck.

The big concerns are down back with Henderson and Kolo. And we need the midfield to lift. Some of them started to look a lot better against the giants. We really need a big game from Selwood getting in and winning the ball. He’s been down and we’ll miss Parfitt.

We have our two best kicks (Duncan and Touhy) back in from round 23, we will give them the fright of their lives if they think this will be easy (or more likely afflicted by nerves) and dont bring Port level pressure. If they do, we have seen this movie before….

They almost can’t win if Oliver and Petracca are off at all. But in saying that, I just can’t see how we stop them. Does Oliver ever just have a shocker?

Not as many tweaks as last week, but a few things.

Cameron up the ground! Get him to drop in area in front of Lever and cut through them with that beautiful left peg of his. Saw a bit of this on Friday and this is the trump card.

Duncan, has been back, then forward and now he is ready to go back in the engine room. Third up, yes. It has been forgotten he sparked that 10 quarters of good finals football we played last year. Contested ball and tackles from Mitch leads to Geelong wins.

Higgins in to play receiver role, Menegola more in the middle too.

My gut feel is if Duncan and Dangerfield are able to play near their best we win this game.

I don’t think selections matter too much but I’m for Simpson to replace Parfitt. He’s played good finals, is versatile and has a touch of class. Higgins probably my next choice. Do not want Dahlhaus or Narkle.

I feel like it will take something special to win. We will have to win the CPs and i50s which just doesn’t seem likely. If we can win our share our forward line will trouble them but I worry we won’t get that far.

I’ve had Dees as solid flag faves for most of the year. They should have our measure but I hope for something out of the box. It can happen.

I do feel like Danger adapted his game in final quarter and found a version of himself that can work with that hand injury. Ground ball Danger is still very effective, particularly against this Melbourne side. If he can split the contest and get it moving to Guthrie and Duncan, we will be right in it.

Selwood, Dangerfield, Guthrie, Menegola, Duncan and Holmes in the middle
Surely they can curtail
Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw, Petracca, Harmes, Spargo
Too much negativity re our mids
Stanley needs to work Gawn over with his leap and movement around the ground. He needs to get forward and score more than Gawn.
The way people here are speaking, we'll need to bring Lingy back to tag Oliver who will then be confused as to which one is him
We smashed Melbourne with relentless attack, and that is what we must do to win this game.
Get the ball in the middle and lower the eyes for options. There are several of them up there.
Big and small
Use the run of Danger, Selwood, Smith, Duncan, Holmes, Guthrie. Hit targets I50
I'm for the Narkle option for more pace and break from stoppage, but think they will play Higgins if fit or Simpson if not with Zuthrie as the sub.
Narkle would give more burst
Our marginally defensive mids will have to do some work on their mids to relieve our defenders somewhat, but we must attack the goal front with fervent lust to get to a grannie again.

I don’t think selections matter too much but I’m for Simpson to replace Parfitt. He’s played good finals, is versatile and has a touch of class. Higgins probably my next choice. Do not want Dahlhaus or Narkle.

I feel like it will take something special to win. We will have to win the CPs and i50s which just doesn’t seem likely. If we can win our share our forward line will trouble them but I worry we won’t get that far.

I’ve had Dees as solid flag faves for most of the year. They should have our measure but I hope for something out of the box. It can happen.

Contested ball was dead level in round 23. They had more inside 50s. I think if you just looked at that game, you would almost like Geelong in this with Duncan and Touhy back and Danger on the ground in key moments.

But I am more focused on the Port debacle and the last 9 years of coming up short…

That feels more relevant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think a wet track helps us because it makes it harder for them to expose us for pace out the back and on the ground in our defence. I hope it buckets with rain personally because it advantages us imo.

Wet grounds help the more skillful teams. In round 4, it was and rainy day and Melbourne absolutely picked us apart in the conditions.
May, Salem and Rivers, these guys don't waste it.
Compare that to us, who are without our best user, and instead of being 40+ up at halftime, we'll find ourselves down early in the first quarter and back to forcing everything in order to try and get it close again.

Wasnt richmond up like 28 to 8 at qtr time? Not sure that qualifies as a four qtr effort. Or are you talking about the second geelong vs richmond game where we won by less but won all 4 qtrs?

edit - im guessing you meant the last game

Yeah the 2nd time, we just had complete control of the whole game from start to finish.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The umpires determined the result last. In particular the free awarded at the last centre bounce with a minute to go was an utter disgrace - the players should have been left to play.
That was a good call by the umpire - watching the footage and it's clear that McInerney's focus is on English rather than on the ball. He puts his knee up to stop English getting a clean jump at the ball and only after contact with English that he then looks at the ball

It's a free kick in the first minute of a match, half way thru the second quarter and in the last minute of the match - good on the umpire making the call

If we beat the Demons on the inside midfield we will win. Our forward line is more potent than theirs, and our outside midfielders are better than theirs, and I have confidence in our defence.

If Gawn, Oliver, Petracca can be stopped, or we can reduce their effectiveness, we win. Simple as that I reckon.

I'm not that confident tbh, but its usually these games where we go in with low expectations we tend to win.

Bitter Loss to Sweet Revenge

Cats have already shown how they can beat the Demons.
Cats also have a fresh memory of what not to do against the Demons
The bitter taste of that loss still remains strong 3 weeks later.
This return clash will see a better attitude and a stronger team.
Duncan, Touhy, Esava, replace O'Connor, Dahlhaus, Simpson
Players returning from injury now have a few games back
The tussle against GWS has helped run the Cats back into form.

The Demons are exceptionally fit and a strong finishing team.
They have been helped by a week off but may be a little rusty early.
A good start will be critical...

Cats must negate the Demons strengths. Their Ruck, Midfield and Intercept Marking defenders.
Cats were most dangerous breaking out of Centre Clearances, kicking long to the Key Forwards
However, too often, Cats get first hand on the ball post ruck but lose the centre clearance (CC)
To prevent Demon CC momentum, After they score a goal/s, go defensive.
Causing a 2nd ball-up to bring in the surrounding players.
Petracca is almost impossible to stop. but his kicking is average in effectiveness.
Oliver rarely fumbles is quick and effective, not sure if we have a player to tag him. (try Holmes for a short stint)

Demons start attack via intercept marking. Cats need to play a defensive forward on May or Lever.
Rohan to be give a task to play a dual role as defensive forward and use his recovery and speed to advantage.
Clog up the midfield space to slow their quick attacking play....duh!

Move the ball quickly out of defence to the long kicking mids... Touhy Duncan Smith
Set up our key forwards high near the F50 arc. for potential long attacking kicks.
Leave the F50 open to run back towards goal.... if the ball is rebounded.

Higgins to return. Need experienced players under pressure.
Atkins to tag Fritsch
Zuthrie can stay in the team

The Cats know what needs to be done...
Nothing impossible will be needed, they just must perform to their ability.
Sure Scotty will have a trick or two. Hope it works as planned.

Your avatar photo of Smith always makes me think he is standing there smiling holding a broomstick in his left hand.
It was the best photo/image I could find of him in a Cats gurrnsey earlier this season and while I've thought of updating it a couple of times, I enjoy the cheeky smile

Though I wouldn't have minded having access to select this avatar 10 years ago

Presumably Higgins or Simpson in for parfitt, I think they’ll go Higgins, with Duncan playing more midfield. Although zuthrie and Narkle also probably considered.

Whoever they go with, hopefully we don’t lose any pressure around the ball without parfitt’s tackling.

I know this gets discussed here often, and it won’t happen, but you could make the argument for Kolo being dropped also, probably for Zuthrie. If they stick with all three of Hawkins, Cameron and esava, as you think they will, then Blicavs will play 100% defence with Henderson and Henry. Although Melbourne play a very tall forward line with Jackson, McDonald, brown along with fritsch

Hope we see more of this on Friday night

He's in career best form the past 6 weeks. Replicate what he did to Gawn in the first half a few weeks back and it'll go a long way to helping us win.

I think he should've had a shot from outside 50 on Friday night. He can kick the ball a country mile. It's one of his strengths is how far and penetrating his kick can be. Hopefully he can kick a couple of long balls behind Lever and disrupt them this week too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back