Game Day Geelong V Richmond at MCG Sun Jul 25 @ 320 pm - Rd 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richmond still have the cattle to turn up the heat if they are switched on. They have every reason to be, with their season on the line. But I feel these are the sorts of games where we can stamp our credentials. These are the sorts of games a genuine flag contender ruthlessly disposes of the pretenders vying for the final spots in the eight.

It won't be the end of the world if we lose, but it will be a missed opportunity. I hope the boys bring it today - we should win by ten goals, and keep our momentum building.

Other hopes:
Sav continues his improvement this week.
Stanley outworks Nank around the ground.
Delivery into our f50 is clean and direct.
Our pressure is > Richmond pressure.

Did anyone watch the dogs-Dee’s game last night? Just watching highlights and the ability of both teams to scrap goals is a big worry. Dogs looked v.good. They appear to have gone up a gear since we played them.

I suspect we’ll have a different game plan to last week around faster ball movement. Holding the ball up then rushing fwd is hopefully only one of the ways we can play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Richmond still have the cattle to turn up the heat if they are switched on. They have every reason to be, with their season on the line. But I feel these are the sorts of games where we can stamp our credentials. These are the sorts of games a genuine flag contender ruthlessly disposes of the pretenders vying for the final spots in the eight.

It won't be the end of the world if we lose, but it will be a missed opportunity. I hope the boys bring it today - we should win by ten goals, and keep our momentum building.

Other hopes:

I feel Richmond are really trying to soak up the whole “underdogs” status this week and want to wind their players up to come out ad throw it all at the pressured cats who are wxpected to win,

Hopefully we dont buy an inch of this shit and come out and thrash the crap out of them and put them into their place

Did anyone watch the dogs-Dee’s game last night? Just watching highlights and the ability of both teams to scrap goals is a big worry. Dogs looked v.good. They appear to have gone up a gear since we played them.

I suspect we’ll have a different game plan to last week around faster ball movement. Holding the ball up then rushing fwd is hopefully only one of the ways we can play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It was quite a scrappy game because of the conditions. I thought that might play to Melbourne’s strengths but the Dogs were much more effective at the territory game. They didn’t struggle to execute their flick the ball forward game, despite the conditions.

What Geelong tries to do against these sides is starve them of oxygen. Stop play is our friend. If the ball is not in motion they cannot execute their game.

Last edited:
C’mon finish these scumbags season.
Even winning doesn't necessarily end their season. Those teams around them are floundering and they should win their last 4 games.

Kaos v Control
Sounds like a sitcom... but the only thing in common is:-
For the Cats to win they will need to Get Smart.
Resist the adrenaline rush to panic and maintain composure.
Make smart decision and execute their skills under pressure.
Tigers, playing for a finals spot, means the pressure will be finals level.
Undermanned, means they will play with desperation and physical aggression.
They want a comedy of errors and Kaos to reign.
Expected weather, strong wind and rain, will also assist the Kaos strategy
Making it harder to stick tackles and keep the feet from slipping.
Winning the contested ball is necessary to instigate Control.
Unforced turnovers will be the key decider to winning.
Footy smarts, good decision making and situational awareness
Smart balance of quick attack and slow control.
Avoiding overuse of slippery ball in wet conditions.
All required, to minimise unforced turnovers.
I expect a hard fought win, on the backs of Cats that perform under pressure.
Weakest links will be exposed and shape the best 22 finals squad.

This is a heavyweight contest of game plans... Kaos v Control
Every football coach will be watching the contest with scrutiny
Outcome will likely dictate the direction of future game strategy.

Last edited:

Other hopes:
Theyve got 4 first choice defenders out and half a midfield, if we can't beat them we dont deserve to be a top 4 side.

It starts raining at 4pm according to the forecast, FFS.

Much harder to implement our high precision game in the wet I imagine. If it turns into a scrap it will suit them more than us.

I'm still very confident but I'd prefer a dry game.

I know they're about 2 levels below Richmond, but pretty sure it was wet last week when we carved Freo up over in Perth.

Much harder to implement our high precision game in the wet I imagine. If it turns into a scrap it will suit them more than us.

Didn’t you watch last week? We play fine in the wet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12 years ago to the day, Jimmy Bartel kicked a point after the siren to pip the reigning premiers by that margin, which ended up ruining their season as they finished 9th and missed the finals.

Hopefully history repeats this afternoon (but please let the margin be more comfortable than that).

Even winning doesn't necessarily end their season. Those teams around them are floundering and they should win their last 4 games.
Unfortunately we are also relying on Freo or GWS upsetting them. Two of the worst teams to be relying on for anything.

Kaos v Control
Sounds like a sitcom... but the only thing in common is:-
For the Cats to win they will need to Get Smart.
Resist the adrenaline rush to panic and maintain composure.
Make smart decision and execute their skills under pressure.
Tigers, playing for a finals spot, means the pressure will be finals level.
Undermanned, means they will play with desperation and physical aggression.
They want a comedy of errors and Kaos to reign.
Expected weather, strong wind and rain, will also assist the Kaos strategy
Making it harder to stick tackles and keep the feet from slipping.
Winning the contested ball is necessary to instigate Control.
Unforced turnovers will be the key decider to winning.
Footy smarts, good decision making and situational awareness
Smart balance of quick attack and slow control.
Avoiding overuse of slippery ball in wet conditions.
All required, to minimise unforced turnovers.
I expect a hard fought win, on the backs of Cats that perform under pressure.
Weakest links will be exposed and shape the best 22 finals squad.

This is a heavyweight contest of game plans... Kaos v Control
Every football coach will be watching the contest with scrutiny
Outcome will likely dictate the direction of future game strategy.

while that is true , I have made the same sort of comment... there is an element that revolves around weapons

No matter what system is employed , the one soldier in one soldier out is a mindset buffer. Go and get a GFL team and get them to play either style against any AFL team and they will be smashed. Just like I read on this board yesterday that Harry Taylor kicked a truck load of goals in a lower comp, talent can go a long way to counter other attributes.

Not only having weapon but the weapons must be deployed. So if our big names play well , Im sure we will put a smile on the Chiefs face , if they don't then Shtarker probably will be happy.

12 years ago to the day, Jimmy Bartel kicked a point after the siren to pip the reigning premiers by that margin, which ended up ruining their season as they finished 9th and missed the finals.

Hopefully history repeats this afternoon (but please let the margin be more comfortable than that).
Hopefully we're not relying on Bartel today...

Impossible.

Bartel isn't playing.

Feels like Richmond are hanging on for dear life and with Martin gone for the year, it's the final haymaker which has effectively ended their season. I can see them putting up a good outing but in the end, Geelong have too many solid midfielders who will keep the forwards feasting.

Cats by 22 points.

Rain and mud.
The wind here would blow the pricks off a barbed wire fence.
Just as we are going to do to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back