Preview Geelong vs WCE - Sat April 24, GMHBA Stadium @1:45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blitz plays his best football in defence ( as seen from the weekend)

SDK poor kid, has huge potential, but please as a defender.

Stanley hopefully gets dropped for Fort

Henry, please don't play as the 2nd ruck.

Then the big question is.... Who plays as the 2nd Ruck?

I can't believe after our worst performance of the year against the worst side in the competition, that most on here only envisage one or two changes.

My changes that I would make.

In : O'Connor Cameron Fort Clark Holmes
Out : Kolo Stanley Dalhaus SDK Atkins

Stewart Blicavs Henderson
Bews Henry Clark
Menegola O'Connor Smith
Dangerfield Cameron Parfitt
Miers Hawkins Rohan
Fort C Guthrie Duncan
Holmes Touhy
Selwood Close

I’m in the “not too many changes” camp because wholesale changes unless absolutely necessary through injury will likely simply exacerbate the inconsistency we have shown. We are building fitness off the shortest pre-season in AFL history (along with Richmond…also 3/2). We, like every other team, are trying to adapt to the new rules which have substantially changed the game, with 3 new key but experienced players drafted for specific roles which they are yet to settle into with the possible exception of Smith. The game has changed and is changing. So are we.
Is there cause for concern? Definitely.
Is wholesale knee-jerk change for it’s own sake a good idea right now? I doubt it.
Our coach (you know…the one with the winningest record in AFL history) seems to think we are making incremental positive steps forward while clearly having significant improvements in us.
Cameron will not be an immediate cure-all, but he WILL make a difference. We’re 3/2 while running along between 2nd and 3rd gear atm.
Let’s see what tomorrow brings…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feel like he is a boom or bust player. Could be anything, or just a fizzer. Interesting time in his career.
Agree- He is our most "potential" player; i think he's going to be a star.

Feel like he is a boom or bust player. Could be anything, or just a fizzer. Interesting time in his career.

He's between a rock and a hard place unfortunately for Esava.
At 22yrs and only 40 games in, this is the period of a key position players career where they usually begin to improve. By the time they reach 90 odd games, you can tell whether or not they are worth persisting with.
Unfortunately, the match committee are heavily invested in Stanley and Blicavs as the rucks, and the club just gave up a bit of our future to bring in Cameron.

Esava will have to be brilliant in order to hold his spot in the senior team.
A club like Collingwood or Carlton could start circling at the next trade period.

At 22yrs and only 40 games in, this is the period of a key position players career where they usually begin to improve. By the time they reach 90 odd games, you can tell whether or not they are worth persisting with.
Unfortunately, the match committee are heavily invested in Stanley and Blicavs as the rucks, and the club just gave up a bit of our future to bring in Cameron.

A club like Collingwood or Carlton could start circling at the next trade period.
Imho, we can not win a GF without him.

Unfortunately if you watched Fort in the 2s I'm just not sure how you could justify his selection. Stanley is very ordinary but im confident he would be more dominant in the 2s that Fort looked.

Ultimately, SAV. And I hope sooner than later. But not this month.

Last edited:

We can't really tell who they're backing right now though. Stanley and Blitz the only one not returning from injury

No Ryan or Pettrucelle for them and bunga Hurn is 50:50 and likely to be back.
Stewy over the last few meetings against the eags has matched up on Ryan, so assuming he'll get the dangerous Allen.
I'm pumping the brakes on Sav, he needs match conditioning in the two's, 1 game back isn't enough. How often do you see second up form go the other way.

No Ryan or Pettrucelle for them and bunga Hurn is 50:50 and likely to be back.
Stewy over the last few meetings against the eags has matched up on Ryan, so assuming he'll get the dangerous Allen.
I'm pumping the brakes on Sav, he needs match conditioning in the two's, 1 game back isn't enough. How often do you see second up form go the other way.
Sav won’t play for a number of weeks. Don’t know why people are suggesting he should be in this week, when he has only played 1 and 1/2 games after being out for a few months. There is zero chance he has match fitness, and won’t for a while yet.

Sav won’t play for a number of weeks. Don’t know why people are suggesting he should be in this week, when he has only played 1 and 1/2 games after being out for a few months. There is zero chance he has match fitness, and won’t for a while yet.
He did some brilliant things in the 2s but yeah, needs to be real strong on a fractured bone to even consider it. A month away probably

no path back for Clark this week which is incredibly disappointing.

Why not? Isn't great forward but will offer more than ####en LD and if Blicavs is KPD all game (what he should always be) that leaves another useless spud in Kolo that Clarke would be miles better than.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are lots of arguments you can make around selection but the one non negotiable for me is that Holmes has to play. He's head and shoulders above VFL standard and needs 10+ games this season to see how soon he can become a gun at AFL level.

I would love to see it, Clark too. Though Scott is extremely conservative in his team selection. In fact, rather than the 'slow game plan' trope, I think Scott's failing is his loyalty to players and refusal to make bold selection decisions. This is why we come up short year after year, we keep showing up with the same players, who are not quite good enough. In that respect, he is a little like Ross Lyon. Though he is tactically much better than Lyon.

There are lots of arguments you can make around selection but the one non negotiable for me is that Holmes has to play. He's head and shoulders above VFL standard and needs 10+ games this season to see how soon he can become a gun at AFL level.
would like to see him getting a game over miers or dahlhaus, dont think you can play both of those 2 in the same team anymore

I would love to see it, Clark too. Though Scott is extremely conservative in his team selection. In fact, rather than the 'slow game plan' trope, I think Scott's failing is his loyalty to players and refusal to make bold selection decisions. This is why we come up short year after year, we keep showing up with the same players, who are not quite good enough. In that respect, he is a little like Ross Lyon. Though he is tactically much better than Lyon.
Clark and Holmes would give us some much needed speed on the outside

Yep Clark back for Atkins, Holmes at half forward for Dahlhaus, would definitely be a more exciting team to watch. Won't happen.
I've liked Atkins over Bews so far but Scott loves Bews. His kicking hurts us so much. Him and Kolo are genuine butchers down back. We really lack that good ball user coming out the backline like a Hurn or Short.

That's what CS said.
But eventually, I hope it is a Stanley- Sav ruck combo, keeping Blic in defence full-time, Cameron- Hawkins as KF's. That would be our best hope for sustained success if all fit.

would like to see him getting a game over miers or dahlhaus, dont think you can play both of those 2 in the same team anymore
I wouldn't mind doing Dahlhaus for Holmes. I'd name Holmes in the forward line but would try to get him to drag his defender out of f50 then try get involved around the ground. Empty grass for Cameron to lead to adds more than Dahlhaus at the moment I think, and Holmes getting an opportunity is a well earned reward for him

The only small negative about Holmes in the AFL and VFL the last qts he has run out of gas, so he will have to be looked after with a game off here and there.....oh and does anyone see a bit of Mick Turner in him the way he moves?

Tbf his VFL game was exceptional...a very good game and fitness would be his only concern imo

I’m really hoping that he can replicate that type of performance at AFL level when he’s back in the team

The only small negative about Holmes in the AFL and VFL the last qts he has run out of gas, so he will have to be looked after with a game off here and there.....oh and does anyone see a bit of Mick Turner in him the way he moves?

It was noticeable in the VFL on Sunday was that both teams had players who looked out on their feet in the last quarter, and definitely noticed that we didn't have the run & spread of the previous quarters - thinking that may make it hard for the MC in regards to consideration of some of our guys playing VFL at the moment as they'd probably prefer them to be comfortably running out matches

I like Holmes and like what I saw from him on Sunday, but wouldn't be surprised if the coaches are telling him they just need to get KMs into him at the moment and build that match fitness so he can impact across 4 qtrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back