Geelong: why are they just not good enough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could see Geelong getting over Brisbane. They have the size we lack... third-shortest team under Hardwick and was made to go down the line more than we're comfortable with. Not sure about a recovering West Coast though.

Cats defenders dont know how to kick and the slow game plan is trying to cover this area Kolo, Henry, Taylor, Oconnor and Blitz would have to be some of the most average kicks in the AFL, most kicks are high bombs and not flat kicks, which just adds to the stop start nature.

shoe horn hands
never did have the makings of a varsity athlete
The loss of Tim Kelly
No replacement for David Mensh. Ever.

Its obvious, Geelong are a good team and they play and win many games at home.

This gives them a good ladder position most years, but when they play finals they are
playing at the G or interstate against teams playing at their home ground so results are reversed.

The 4 MCG based teams are at the G for finals not in Geelong, so most years the Cats will face one or more MCG based teams in the finals who will mostly win because they are home. Or they head interstate and will mostly loose as they are playing at their competitors home ground.

If the Cats get into a GF against an interstate or Docklands team there is no home ground advantage.

The home ground advantage is huge in sport, and in all games soccer, Gridiron, Hockey, and AFL, its a clear advantage..

Until the AFL address this anomily the game is biased in favour of the 4 MCG Residents.

Can you imagine playing all FA cup finals at Anfield, or any other teams homeground, of course not, its at Wembley where its independant.

All Victorian clubs should share Docklands and the MCG on an equal basis.

Gambling shows the best backed teams for the flag most years are MCG based.

Geelong need to change their game plan in a week. The other 7 teams are playing quickly and with some dare. Geelong are trying to choke the game and all it does is allow the other team time to set their defence. Then the come back at high speed and the cats aren’t ready for them. They train this slow shit and when the game is at warp they cannot Adapt to the speed. Richmond showed them up late in the season. And from what I saw from the 4 games ( 2 live) the cats cannot play at the speed the others do.

Geelong need to change their game plan in a week. The other 7 teams are playing quickly and with some dare. Geelong are trying to choke the game and all it does is allow the other team time to set their defence. Then the come back at high speed and the cats aren’t ready for them. They train this slow sh*t and when the game is at warp they cannot Adapt to the speed. Richmond showed them up late in the season. And from what I saw from the 4 games ( 2 live) the cats cannot play at the speed the others do.
Correct

Sorry but we squared every territorial, possessional, attacking and defensive metric, aside from putting it through the middle.

That doesn’t suggest to me like we picked the wrong side. It suggests we didn’t convert any of our dominance into points, and port Adelaide did

Still doesnt highlight the glaringly obvious issues that I mentioned above. Yes we missed 3 very gettable goals. The coaching and player selection done properly would of given far more opportunities and would of made things harder for Port

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the criticism for Geelong has been unfair.

Sure their finals record over the past decade hasn't been great but it's always better to make finals and lose than not make finals at all.

Making top 4 in 14 of the past 17 seasons is fantastic consistency and should be commended.

I think the criticism for Geelong has been unfair.

Sure their finals record over the past decade hasn't been great but it's always better to make finals and lose than not make finals at all.

Making top 4 in 14 of the past 17 seasons is fantastic consistency and should be commended.

Means nothing without the flags to back up that success.

Means nothing without the flags to back up that success.

Think about the legacies cultivated by teams like San Antonio in the NBA or the Broncos, before this year, in the NRL. Of course you want to be winning flags but if you don’t the next best thing is at least knowing week to week your side will be worth watching

Think about the legacies cultivated by teams like San Antonio in the NBA or the Broncos, before this year, in the NRL. Of course you want to be winning flags but if you don’t the next best thing is at least knowing week to week your side will be worth watching

Despite their several controversies over the years, the Patriots leave a much stronger legacy than The Broncos in 21st Century NFL

Another straights sets finals loss for Geelong this weekend would have a very poor reflection on Chris Scott's coaching legacy and perhaps Dangerfield as a player too.

Despite their several controversies over the years, the Patriots leave a much stronger legacy than The Broncos in 21st Century NFL

Another straights sets finals loss for Geelong this weekend would have a very poor reflection on Chris Scott's coaching legacy and perhaps Dangerfield as a player too.

Appreciated, but what that has to do with Brisbane’s NRL legacy is debatable

Oh right.. My mistake. Its been quite a while since the Broncos were any good though (won their first wooden spoon this season)

And the whole point about why that was so huge is the fact that even without a premiership for 14 years, they are still the one constant from season to season (aside from the storm) - the Broncos will be in the mix.

Scott I get but Dangerfield? What legacy are you referring to with him?

Danger is one of the best players I’ve ever seen.

It’s been underestimated what impact he’s had on Geelong. He’s kept them top 4 (with Hawkins) when really outside those two their list is probably 6-10 range and declining.
those two make a massive difference.

Danger has his kicking issues, but he's unstoppable with his strength and mobility.
Hawkins' patch at 32 is something else.

Would be ugly for the cats if these two missed.

So, do they come out and smack the Pies this week?

How could they?
We are carrying a few blokes and Collingwood match up on us very well. Even if we are the fresher side, the sheer creativity of Collingwood's smalls will be enough to given them a chance of winning.
Grundy will dominate Stanley as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back