Strategy Geelong's 2015/2016 flag goal

Remove this Banner Ad

DV2000

Club Legend
May 9, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
There has been some talk over the last year or so about how Chris Scott plans to build a list that is capable of winning a premiership in around 2015/16. This plan has involved making some very tough decisions on some of Geelong's favourite sons (mainly Paul Chapman), in order to give younger players a chance to develop. How realistic and reasonable do you think this target is, and do you think that the club is on track to achieve it at the moment? Or you think that the club should be more focused on winning premierships right now, instead of the future, because our flag window seems to still be wide open?

DV , I think Geelong has ambidextrous approach to the list build V Flags. We are trying to place ourselves ina position to win it each year while having a list in transition. And Bar injury I think they have done well. If we had a better run of luck with the likes of Menzel , Vardy , Brown , Cowan , Kersten , Simpson etc then we would be in an even strong position to win it this year.
Geelong need a bit of luck form now on. They really can not afford to have Lang and JJ for instance to become two more of the perpetual injury types , we need them to have a clean run like Selwood has had.

And yes tough choices is a part of it. Chappy may have stayed and then we would still be unsure of Burbs and McCarthy. The posit is all players go sooner or later , plan for the future or the future will show your lack of planning

Two hurdles in the quest for 2015 / 2016 premierships - Gold Coast and the loss of ageing stars.

Why we are "up" in 2014 is largely thanks to the likes of SJ, Kelly, Enright, Jimmy and if course Selwood and Taylor. It's been these guys who have turned it on when needed and with the older guys this obviously can't last. Guthrie is an exception amongst the younger players; he has been a model of consistency.

So all I am saying and thinking is that it's nice to aspire for 2015 & 2016, but be realistic. If it is going to happen, it will be 2014 with the star talent

Two hurdles in the quest for 2015 / 2016 premierships - Gold Coast and the loss of ageing stars.

Why we are "up" in 2014 is largely thanks to the likes of SJ, Kelly, Enright, Jimmy and if course Selwood and Taylor. It's been these guys who have turned it on when needed and with the older guys this obviously can't last. Guthrie is an exception amongst the younger players; he has been a model of consistency.

So all I am saying and thinking is that it's nice to aspire for 2015 & 2016, but be realistic. If it is going to happen, it will be 2014 with the star talent

Agreed.
All along, the 2015 statement has been just motherhood hoopla.
And just in passing, if Dangerfield really is concerned about premiership prospects, then our first and major difficulty in getting him wouldn't be money, or the old home fires, it will be convincing him that we're significantly better placed than Adelaide in the next 3-5 years. An impartial observer might find it harder to believe than some of us seem to do.

Agreed.
All along, the 2015 statement has been just motherhood hoopla.
And just in passing, if Dangerfield really is concerned about premiership prospects, then our first and major difficulty in getting him wouldn't be money, or the old home fires, it will be convincing him that we're significantly better placed than Adelaide in the next 3-5 years. An impartial observer might find it harder to believe than some of us seem to do.

Fred , don't you think most clubs have that issue. Go back two years , Port wouldn't have been destination #1 for most FA players. The best we can do is look a quality option. Atm , id say the buzz on Adelaide Oval etc would be one hell of a reason to stay but it will de gloss a little if the fail to make the finals this year and are just middle of the table this time next year.

Im still very much in the camp that say he will stay... until he says he wants out. And if he does then Im sure we will look a reasonable option

Totally agree.

I'm thinking we'll have to address our forward line woes asap to give the other two a worthy contest
Maybe, our backline can easily hold the Swans' forwards I think. And Hawkins goes to town on the Hawks backline so we might be OK. I could see the Swans beating the Hawks in the PF and us holding the Swans in the granny :D

Maybe, our backline can easily hold the Swans' forwards I think. And Hawkins goes to town on the Hawks backline so we might be OK. I could see the Swans beating the Hawks in the PF and us holding the Swans in the granny :D

Well, Lonners owns Buddy, Harry to Tippett, Richards to Hawkins....it'll make an interesting contest.

Can't see Cheney, Clangers or Gibbo (if he recovers ok) holding Buddy and Tippett though. Stating the obvious to say they struggle with the big guys.

Should have set the sites on last year, we had a real shot as any other team, but we didn't manage players like we where in with a chance.It's not easy for us to be there every year, and some supporters on here seem to think we are going to be top 4 and flag chances every year.

I kinda think it's a little bit of desperation to say when you plan on wining a flag, sure internally, it's fine. But publicly it's cheesy, sounds like what Carlton/Richmond do, and something we don't. Considering we're generally a club that doesn't like to give things away and let our actions talk.

I'm thinking we'll have to address our forward line woes asap to give the other two a worthy contest

We need to address the fact that we get killed in the clearances. We need to get first use of the ball rather then having pressure constantly placed on our half backs to rebound.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo have played a total of 5 good quarters of footy this year; they aint there yet.
I'm sticking to preseason tips, and the fact that Port has improved further.
We haven't done enough yet, apart from Pies/Hawks to dissuade me, but as you say, Freo are below 2013 form so far. EXCEPT V GEELONG AND PIES.

not going to happen Port, North and Freo are in their prime and we have bits and pieces

our best bet is to challenge again in 4 years when our current crop of 21-23yo core is in their prime

the problem is we have 14 guys who are 25+ (I don't think Hawkins will play at 30yo) and we really need to churn a lot of them over

guys like Bartel, Enright, Kelly, Lonners and Rivers are cooked

we need to develop a new backline and develop some KPFs and another few rucks (backups at least)

Sure we don't want to bottom out but with some of the injuries to young guys slowing down their development I feel like we don't have enough coming through. Our young guys aren't standouts in the competition compared to other club' young guys.

In theory the idea of always competing sounds good, however if the young guys coming through aren't as good as we need them to be, then it just doesn't work.

If we had no interruption with players like Menzel and Vardy etc then maybe we could have rebuilt quickly. But it didn't work.

Clubs wait for a long time to get a shot at it. Wish we were more serious about last year. Silly to take for granted a list that can compete for a flag.
Having said that we have done incredibly well and I'm glad we didn't do a St Kilda and end up nowhere.

Yeah -yeah
When this line keeps rolling about that we are building for a 2015 tilt at the flag I just laugh. By then both GC and GWS will be at the peak of their respective powers. And our first round picks in the last four drafts are where.
Scott needs to build a game plan on the strengths we currently have, and recruiting flashy players is great as long as you have the in and under workers.

We don't need smedts, lang, thurlow, hamling, Hartman, varcoe etc with no in and under mids

we are in for tuff times, and I think by 2015 we will be missing finals and commencing a rebuild

i know richmond through out the years have had a "plan" for there future

how has that worked for them

its always good to have an eye to the future but lets fully concentrate on the now.

talk of not caring of were we finish in 2014 because its not in the plan is just shithouse talk

Geelong are miles away from a flag. While CS was excellent landing a flag in his first year, his coaching since has been shocking. We lose the same away again and again and again against Fremantle with no change of plan. I think he needs support and we need a clean out of assistant coaches. We have lost a lot of talent in the coaches box

As for our list. We have an incredible amount of list cloggers playing in both the first and the seconds who we need to get rid of asap. brown, walker, schroder, sheringham, stringer, cowan, burburry and hamling do not look like being anything more than average players. We are lacking talent and have a lot of vanilla midfielders developing:

Duncan: vanilla, a 'nice' player, low impact on the contest
GHS: smart player who is as slow as treacle
Guthrie: developing nicely
Caddy: very disappointing on his current impact this year, was expecting big things.
Christianson: inside mid, ok player, not sure he will get much better

I think every midfielder needs a strong inside extractor, a dynamic midfielder or 2, a tough hard running inside midfielder/ accumulator, outside midfielders for support.

look at sydneys midfield-
Kennedy: Big strong inside extractor
Jack: dynamic inside/outside midfielder
Hanberry: a tough hard running inside midfielder/ accumulator
McVeigh: dynamic inside/outside midfielder
Jetta: Outside run

plus depth
Parker
Zak Jones
Okeefe
Mitchell

and what we hope will develop-
JJ: Bring strong inside extractor
Guthrie: dynamic inside/outside midfielder
?? Christianson/smedts/duncan: a tough hard running inside midfielder/ accumulator
Caddy: dynamic inside/outside midfielder
Motlop: Outside run

Depth ???
Plus factor in the fact all the Sydney swans midfielders are goal kickers so can contribute and win games without big games from the forwards. We are miles off in our midfield development. If Caddy does not develop into an a grade I think we are pretty well ****ed in a year or 2. Smedts is probably the most frustrating player on the list, shit attitude, doesnt train hard. A rocket and if no improvement than delist.

As this is before we even talk about the lack of defenders and forwards coming through. In the draft we need to take best available and get some class into the team. I also think we trade more aggressively

Should have set the sites on last year, we had a real shot as any other team, but we didn't manage players like we where in with a chance.It's not easy for us to be there every year, and some supporters on here seem to think we are going to be top 4 and flag chances every year.

I kinda think it's a little bit of desperation to say when you plan on wining a flag, sure internally, it's fine. But publicly it's cheesy, sounds like what Carlton/Richmond do, and something we don't. Considering we're generally a club that doesn't like to give things away and let our actions talk.
I think they did hence the picking up of Rivers and Hamish Mc,but injury destroyed that plan.

Geelong are miles away from a flag. While CS was excellent landing a flag in his first year, his coaching since has been shocking. We lose the same away again and again and again against Fremantle with no change of plan. I think he needs support and we need a clean out of assistant coaches. We have lost a lot of talent in the coaches box

As for our list. We have an incredible amount of list cloggers playing in both the first and the seconds who we need to get rid of asap. brown, walker, schroder, sheringham, stringer, cowan, burburry and hamling do not look like being anything more than average players. We are lacking talent and have a lot of vanilla midfielders developing:

Duncan: vanilla, a 'nice' player, low impact on the contest
GHS: smart player who is as slow as treacle
Guthrie: developing nicely
Caddy: very disappointing on his current impact this year, was expecting big things.
Christianson: inside mid, ok player, not sure he will get much better

I think every midfielder needs a strong inside extractor, a dynamic midfielder or 2, a tough hard running inside midfielder/ accumulator, outside midfielders for support.

look at sydneys midfield-
Kennedy: Big strong inside extractor
Jack: dynamic inside/outside midfielder
Hanberry: a tough hard running inside midfielder/ accumulator
McVeigh: dynamic inside/outside midfielder
Jetta: Outside run

plus depth
Parker
Zak Jones
Okeefe
Mitchell

and what we hope will develop-
JJ: Bring strong inside extractor
Guthrie: dynamic inside/outside midfielder
?? Christianson/smedts/duncan: a tough hard running inside midfielder/ accumulator
Caddy: dynamic inside/outside midfielder
Motlop: Outside run

Depth ???
Plus factor in the fact all the Sydney swans midfielders are goal kickers so can contribute and win games without big games from the forwards. We are miles off in our midfield development. If Caddy does not develop into an a grade I think we are pretty well ****** in a year or 2. Smedts is probably the most frustrating player on the list, shit attitude, doesnt train hard. A rocket and if no improvement than delist.

As this is before we even talk about the lack of defenders and forwards coming through. In the draft we need to take best available and get some class into the team. I also think we trade more aggressively
Christensen

Strategy Geelong's 2015/2016 flag goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back