Strategy Geelong's 2015/2016 flag goal

Remove this Banner Ad

B: Smith (28), Hamling (23), Mackie (31)
HB: Thurlow (22), Taylor (30), Bews (22)
C: Varcoe (28), Caddy (23), Duncan (25)
HF: Christensen (25), Vardy (25), Motlop (25)
F: Murdoch (24), Hawkins (28), Bartel (32)
R: Simpson (27), Selwood (28), Guthrie (23)

Int: Blicavs (25), Smedts (24), Horlin-Smith (23)
Sub: Stokes (31)

Emg: Kersten (23), Lang (20) and McCarthy (22)

There's only a handful of ageing stars in this team with probably a more even spread across the team. Another query is whether Hamling would be up for full-back by then. Having a free agent Dangerfield by then would be nice, but he's like Boak and will be Adelaide's next captain. That's my take on it, but 18 months is a long time in football, let alone 1 week!

Fair assessment. And I know you have slanted it to prove your point but id suspect that we do need (some how) to find a player or two that is like Selwood was. A first year wonder kid. I suppose considering injuries , if we could draft with the knowledge if immediate needs , that a Dunstan would be that sort of player.I sort agree with your synopsis , although I tend to think a players most productive years are 21-30 , with game tally of about 50 to 200.

On your side , my guess is JK will be in it as early as next year , and there is always names that go somehow and come somehow. To me Varcoe is a good chance to be gone , Mackie as well.

I been back as a Cats member since 2002
some of those blokes were already in the seniors already
I have see those blokes since then

Brown... errr ??? too slow lacks strength
McCarthy... ummm ????
Schroder... ???
Stringer... uses the ball well
Walker... big guy
Burbury... fumbles
Thurlow... good disposal nice overhead mark

see the difference?

Brown - whatever his flaws speed isn't one of them. He moves superbly for a big guy.
McCarthy - simply haven't seen enough yet to judge.
Schroder - only won a Liston medal. Which means at the level they played him (VFL) he was as good or better than every other player there.
Stringer - has shown reasonable senior form.
Walker - has improved, averages more possessions per game than Nathan Vardy (believe it or not).
Burbury - absolutely needs to settle at senior level. Defensive side of his game is very good though.
Thurlow - maybe not this year, but has shown good form at senior level.

You know what difference I see? Those players above have a combined total of 61 games at senior level. That's not even 9 games each on average.

Brown - whatever his flaws speed isn't one of them. He moves superbly for a big guy.
McCarthy - simply haven't seen enough yet to judge.
Schroder - only won a Liston medal. Which means at the level they played him (VFL) he was as good or better than every other player there.
Stringer - has shown reasonable senior form.
Walker - has improved, averages more possessions per game than Nathan Vardy (believe it or not).
Burbury - absolutely needs to settle at senior level. Defensive side of his game is very good though.
Thurlow - maybe not this year, but has shown good form at senior level.

You know what difference I see? Those players above have a combined total of 61 games at senior level. That's not even 9 games each on average.

You're missing the point, comrade.
He says he can pick 'em on their first game.
He's our club's version of Nostradamus.

We should also be encouraged that he's nominated 6 of our younger players to be better than the good ordinary All-Australian Moons, and the good ordinary Lonners widely regarded as one of the best 3 or 4 KPDs in the game.

I never said any players were ready straight out of the box.
I said players that will make bring an attribute that make them stand out.
Hawkins was a monster from the start
I watched Mackie in the reserves for a year and he had the skills. It was the body that kept him back
Simpson spent years in the VFL when finally given games he improved our ruck

As for Moons Lonners Pods West Blake Mumford they prove my point
they were given games and became good ordinary players at best
none of them are beating the door to the hall of fame

As an exercise go through the list of our young players
and summarise what makes them special in a word or two

Motlop... speed
Blitz... Versitile
GH-S ... clean hands
BilliyS ... evasive and quick
Bews... goes hard, quick
Vardy... huge and moves well for his size (something to work with)
etc...

Try the same with the fringe players

Brown... errr ??? too slow lacks strength
McCarthy... ummm ????
Schroder... ???
Stringer... uses the ball well
Walker... big guy
Burbury... fumbles
Thurlow... good disposal nice overhead mark

see the difference?

I totally agree with you comment on Burbury. He isn't good with the ball in his hands. He fumbles a lot and often drops easy marks.
I like Josh Walker, but I also agree that he still has significant improvement in him. But the thing is, he should be given more AFL games to help out Hawkins (as a second key forward0 and develop his own game. I'm not quite sure whether you are giving him positive approval or negative critisism when you say that he is a "big guy" ? Otherwise interesting summarising post

I totally agree with you comment on Burbury. He isn't good with the ball in his hands. He fumbles a lot and often drops easy marks.
I like Josh Walker, but I also agree that he still has significant improvement in him. But the thing is, he should be given more AFL games to help out Hawkins (as a second key forward0 and develop his own game. I'm not quite sure whether you are giving him positive approval or negative critisism when you say that he is a "big guy" ? Otherwise interesting summarising post

Like a train wreck, or Richmond. :D

the inability to wins games against top teams is really a reflection of where the whole team is at, not just the young players.

In the recent past, we've got the job done against the top teams because our veterans have got us over the line. That is what has failed us this season, so we need the next generation to start to become the match winners. No matter how good they are at times, they're not match winners yet. That is my point, and we won't win the flag until they step up from B grade to A grade. The veterans can't do it alone anymore. So, yes, while it needs to be a whole team effort, the time for the young guns to rely on the veterans to save their asses is gone. They have to produce. That includes your love child - Guthrie

Last edited:
This
Un fortunately we live in an instant world where every thing is now now now and it amuses me how many here think all you have to do to be successful is dump the players you have invested in and automatically the next lot will be the answer,In most cases I like to hold my judgment until a Ive seen two preferably 3 preseason completed,but I think we're a dieing breed Partridge.

Great post! :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Knees jerks are killers and the above is in the same boat. Draft kid, develop kid, invest in kid then dump kid after 30 games as he is not a Premiership player yet. Sounds like player leasing to me. Guess what you have a the end of a lease. No capital. Same thing here.

Point being, sometimes you just have to wait 50 games, maybe even longer. If you want to see what that looks like, go barrack for the Demons for a while…

Patience is a virtue.

Go Catters

Yup Yup, the coach knew this and in this first few days on the job said as much. Heading into 2007 most of the core group were hovering around 100 games. Same thing will happen next year and the year after. Don't know what else to say.

Why? I was expecting him to step up (before he got injured). Tell me, where you happy with the way he was playing this year pre injury?

And I'm a caddy fan, him and Guthrie are our only future a-graders in the midfield IMO

Arguably played the best games I'd seen from him in the pre-season. And that last qtr burst from half-back vs Adelaide in Rd 1 was something to get excited about.

You're missing the point, comrade.
He says he can pick 'em on their first game.
He's our club's version of Nostradamus.

We should also be encouraged that he's nominated 6 of our younger players to be better than the good ordinary All-Australian Moons, and the good ordinary Lonners widely regarded as one of the best 3 or 4 KPDs in the game.

You either have comprehension problems or are intentionally verballing me.
lets just stick to the issue without the sarcasm thanks

you're entitled to you opinion on Moons and Lonners as I am mine
but neither of those players will go down in history as the best 3 or 4 in the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Josh Walker, but I also agree that he still has significant improvement in him. But the thing is, he should be given more AFL games to help out Hawkins (as a second key forward0 and develop his own game. I'm not quite sure whether you are giving him positive approval or negative criticism when you say that he is a "big guy" ? Otherwise interesting summarising post

It is my observations of those players on first impressions.
As I said in my post the players we are doubtful about don't immediately stand out
but any of them can develop into good ordinary players at worst

Burbury's fumbling is a worry. I think he rushes things.
It's frustrating because he actually has more time than he thinks.
this is way better than not having time and getting caught.
he needs time to settle down.

Walker is a big guy. but he hasn't shown enough yet.
That's why I can't say either way, however
Big guys are hard to find. Good big guys are rare.
He will be given more time to develop.
He really needs to improve his marking.
He can become a good ordinary player if played.
His problem is Vardy. who is a little bigger, quicker, a better kick at goal and more flexible.
Walker will be kept as back up unless he can play CHB

Walker is a big guy. but he hasn't shown enough yet.
That's why I can't say either way, however
Big guys are hard to find. Good big guys are rare.
He will be given more time to develop.
He really needs to improve his marking.
He can become a good ordinary player if played.
His problem is Vardy. who is a little bigger, quicker, a better kick at goal and more flexible.
Walker will be kept as back up unless he can play CHB

A better kick at goal yes. Slightly bigger, perhaps. He's also had longer than Walker and hasn't done a hell of a lot more.

We are really missing Vardy. He would have been ideal to fill our CHF position, and Kersten would have been a back-up if Vards needed a rest every now and then. Selwood is a good player, but either he hasn't got enough support from other guys, or he isnt as good as the AFL's elite midfielders. He gets completely tagged out of games way too often, and he hasn't got much of the ball this season. I think we can all point to his injury/interrupted pre-season, but looking for excuses isn't going to win us a premiership.

We are really missing Vardy. He would have been ideal to fill our CHF position, and Kersten would have been a back-up if Vards needed a rest every now and then. Selwood is a good player, but either he hasn't got enough support from other guys, or he isnt as good as the AFL's elite midfielders. He gets completely tagged out of games way too often, and he hasn't got much of the ball this season. I think we can all point to his injury/interrupted pre-season, but looking for excuses isn't going to win us a premiership.

We are missing the role player...would that have been Vardy.? He is another that has never shown he can last a season and for that matter at his age would his performance be a solid reliable thing. I remember watching him in zero in the Freo final in 2012. Very talented , no doubt.

You can really distinguish the nonsensical cynics after clever tactical losses.

I have not read through the thread so I am unaware of the nature of the comments. But given the responses after disappointing losses in the past ......

Having said that, I don't think that Gelong are good enough to make the GF let alone win it. The Dawks and the Swans are standouts to be at the big dance with Freo a possibility of upsetting someone.

Joking right?

Great post! :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Knees jerks are killers and the above is in the same boat. Draft kid, develop kid, invest in kid then dump kid after 30 games as he is not a Premiership player yet. Sounds like player leasing to me. Guess what you have a the end of a lease. No capital. Same thing here.

Point being, sometimes you just have to wait 50 games, maybe even longer. If you want to see what that looks like, go barrack for the Demons for a while…

Patience is a virtue.

Go Catters

Well they look like 70-75 games is the definition of experience and talent, becoming of age where that determination can be made.

The only factor though, is how much do we invest in a player with several injuries then say 20 games, but has been on the list for 5 years?

The list manager has a very difficult job.

Well and truly on target.
Vardy Menzel and Simpsons injuries not part of the plan but we are certainly collecting a group of super talented midfielders that are just about to hit that prime age/games years.

Strategy Geelong's 2015/2016 flag goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back