Strategy Geelong's 2015/2016 flag goal

Remove this Banner Ad

we needed menzel and vardy
the two players who may have elevated this team to ultimate greatness

Yep - but Vardy is not a proven player but I think better option than Walker or Brown. Could give a better contest and our structure would be better.

However we still need a better midfield and ruck. But no team is perfect and with Vardy and Menzel playing well we would have been 3-4 goal better side IMO.

We will become very quick side when we are fully transitioned. Thurlow, Bews, Lang, McCarthy and Hartman all look likely players and will add leg speed to the side. Even Vardy is quite quick for his size. The key is tackling pressure, pressure acts, run and spread and decent delivery - assuming you can get the ball in your hands. Leg speed is a big factor these days - if you can break the lines you break open the opposition defence - as long as you can kick the ball well this should result in goals.

Unfortunately for us they will all be under 25 senior games if we make the finals next season. Hard to win when 1/4 of your side is under 25 games however. This highlights the difficulties of transitioning from having the best team in the league and staying competitive while doing so.

Can you imagine a team that had the following players in its line up and they all had 50 plus senior games ?

Motlop, Stokes, Duncan, Selwood, Varcoe, McCarthy, Lang, Murdoch, Caddy, Bews, Guthrie, Christensen, Hartman, Thurlow, Blicavs and Hamling. That is 16 players that can run and carry. Nearly 3/4 of your side.

As long as they can get the ball, make good decisions and kick well - would be a very fast side and hard to combat - but we are years away from seeing this line up with 50 senior games under their belts.

Plus we need another ruckman that is pretty dominant - and has some mobility. The same is true also of a CHF and FB. But we do have the potential to have the rest of the team covered.

Perhaps that is why GFC is chasing Frawley, putting faith in Vardy and will trade or pick up a ruckman in the next ND.

Yep - but Vardy is not a proven player but I think better option than Walker or Brown. Could give a better contest and our structure would be better.

There is little evidence for this though. Vardy averages less possessions per game than Walker does. He has shown perhaps more spectacular highlights, and let's face it that's all most people look at, but overall there is nothing to show he's any better than Walker or Brown other than he's big, he's blond, people like him, and he's played more games.

There's quite a bit to like in Connolly's take.

http://bit.ly/1qCOeWq

That article is just what we need. We need Tim Lane to write another, and King to do a segment.

But in all seriousness, What happens in the next five weeks will have a missive impact on who stays and goes in the next few weeks.

If Kersten is injured and whoever replaces him (Brown, Walker) stands up in finals could have a massive influence their career trajectory.
If one of Horlin-Smith or Murdoch find themselves as the 23rd man it could influence their desire to stay at the club.
A grand final win could see a few early retirements

That article is just what we need. We need Tim Lane to write another, and King to do a segment.

But in all seriousness, What happens in the next five weeks will have a missive impact on who stays and goes in the next few weeks.

If Kersten is injured and whoever replaces him (Brown, Walker) stands up in finals could have a massive influence their career trajectory.
If one of Horlin-Smith or Murdoch find themselves as the 23rd man it could influence their desire to stay at the club.
Hmm! Have a feeling you entirely missed the point.

True , but showing form may or may not be a career at Geelong. For example , id imagine Browns currency to to massive lift if he had a good final , but then he may look at Kersten and Vardy and perhaps look at other offers.

IF GHS or Murda decide the wanted to move on because of being 23rd man ...not sure what their contract situation is but I'm sure they already have credits in the trade bank.

No I got the point. Its like getting the "good clubman" award , while everyone else with talent gets the real trophies.
"Dont worry little Bubba , it will be your turn next year. You just keep practicing that kicking"
It's about appreciating what the year has been about - that is renewal. And how well we've handled it.

It's about appreciating what the year has been about - that is renewal. And how well we've handled it.

Its about placating the immediate pain with the hope of glory in the future. Its patting little Johnny on the head saying good effort, but yes its also a bit of future spin , based on some good observation and likelyhood that we will be better down the track. But at the moment , even if their is some levelheaded analysis in that article , it just feels a little too much like the winning side shaking your hand postgame saying "bad luck old chum". It just feels like an out.

Its about placating the immediate pain with the hope of glory in the future. Its patting little Johnny on the head saying good effort, but yes its also a bit of future spin , based on some good observation and likelyhood that we will be better down the track. But at the moment , even if their is some levelheaded analysis in that article , it just feels a little too much like the winning side shaking your hand postgame saying "bad luck old chum". It just feels like an out.
Um! Each to his/her own. At least your second effort was a little less simplistic.:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its nice to see at least someone in the media recognise the transition for what it is - and the remarkable success we are having while doing it.

Take the Tigers for example as comparison, have been churning their list of perpetually for almost a decade and the wilderness has been their home all the while. We arguably have the a similar spread of aged and youth out there and are going to finish 3rd… again in the finals for the 8th straight year and have a double chance.

As CS said, its not as much about this year as the next few but we are giving it one hell of a shake in the process. And the experience getting into the sub 75 game club as we go will be invaluable. Imagine being a sub 75 game player like Mitch Duncan who has played in 6-8 finals already.

Tigers entire list has probably played that many.

Upside everywhere. Not to say I won't be pissed if we lose this year but there are other roses to smell nearby that will result from whatever happens this year.

Go Catters

There's quite a bit to like in Connolly's take.

http://bit.ly/1qCOeWq

I have heard a bit of Rohan C this year and I think he nails Geelong. He does like Geelong and is one of the few journos to have noticed this is not the 2007 team still running around.

I think we are nicely set up for another challenge, which is just extraordinary. However, you need a lot to go right and I think this year we are injury free and top 4. That at least gives us hope.

Johnson's return is important. I would not be surprised if we made it through to the Grand Final on the back of huge games from Johnson and Selwood. I am a little worried, if we got there, we could suffer the sort of humiliation that really sent the Power into a spin.

As CS said, its not as much about this year as the next few but we are giving it one hell of a shake in the process. And the experience getting into the sub 75 game club as we go will be invaluable. Imagine being a sub 75 game player like Mitch Duncan who has played in 6-8 finals already.
Tigers entire list has probably played that many.
Upside everywhere. Not to say I won't be pissed if we lose this year but there are other roses to smell nearby that will result from whatever happens this year.
Go Catters

Duncan might not be happy with you taking 20 odd games off his total - up to 97 now and unless he gets injured, rested this week or dropped (for some reason) he will play his 100th game during the finals.

Guys like Blicavs, Murdoch, GHS (if he returns which he should), plus hopefully guys like Thurlow & Bews, Brown/Walker will have between 2 and 5/6 finals under their belts while being sub 50-game players. Even someone like Rivers should be better in the finals this year then last year now that he has had a taste of it.

You never like to not win the premiership, but should we not go all the way, we have the opportunity to get another 5/6 games into our youth during our redevelopment over the past 2 years, and with those extra games being finals it makes it even better for them to get that experience.

There is little evidence for this though. Vardy averages less possessions per game than Walker does. He has shown perhaps more spectacular highlights, and let's face it that's all most people look at, but overall there is nothing to show he's any better than Walker or Brown other than he's big, he's blond, people like him, and he's played more games.
Both Walker and Vardy are excellent at almost doing awesome stuff.

All of these guys are taller and will naturally take more time to settle.

Out of Vardy and Walker I think Vardy is clearly a more instinctive footy player.

However, Brown IMHO is the only one of the three who, when in form, actually appears to be a natural footballer. Like many here I am super frustrated that he has never been given that easy run of 10-15 games to settle into it. In a parallel universe I see him struggling along for a while before becoming a very useful second tall forward.

I have heard a bit of Rohan C this year and I think he nails Geelong. He does like Geelong and is one of the few journos to have noticed this is not the 2007 team still running around.

I think we are nicely set up for another challenge, which is just extraordinary. However, you need a lot to go right and I think this year we are injury free and top 4. That at least gives us hope.

Johnson's return is important. I would not be surprised if we made it through to the Grand Final on the back of huge games from Johnson and Selwood. I am a little worried, if we got there, we could suffer the sort of humiliation that really sent the Power into a spin.
Well put.

Connelly can shoot from the hip on occasions. But agree he has a fairly good grasp of where we sit in the scheme of things.

Thought the piece in question pretty much hit the target.

Had we considered there was another flag in the group as it was I doubt the pruning that took place pre-season would have occurred. And if the powers that be were scrupulously honest I reckon they would confess to being pleasantly surprised at how the season has panned out.

Somehow think those who know best took the view early on that our best chance for the silverware was 2015 and beyond

Assuming we get frawley (which I think is extremely important for us in the short, medium and long term), my 2016 team would be as follows:

Fb. Kolodjashnij. frawley. Mackie
HB. Guthrie. Taylor. Thurlow
C. Motlop. Selwood. Murdoch.
Hf. Duncan. Vardy. Lang
Ff. kersten. Hawkins. McCarthy
Fol. Simpson. Caddy. Christensen
Int. blicavs. Hartman. SJ. HS

With Jansen, bews, smedts, varcoe on the cusp.

If by some miracle menzel makes it back, that would be a terrific bonus.

It highlights our need for a key defender to take the no.1 forward (which is why we need frawley) and our dependence on Simpson and vardy to come good. Should draft a chf in the next daft.

I also think we lack that dangerous medium forward in the chappy/SJ/menzel mould. Kersten is a genuine 3rd tall, not a 187cm crafty forward.

I would also develop Jansen into a tagger for the following reasons:
- he's a massive body, hard to move
- not slow
- played as a defender in jnr days so knows body positioning when defending
- good over head so can play in defence if dragged forward
- disciplined
- we need a genuine tagger and Guthrie is more suited to an attacking role.

Strategy Geelong's 2015/2016 flag goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back