List Mgmt. Geelong's interest in Travis Boak

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
good point, he's actually been doing a hell of a lot of that this season hasn't he...really throwing his weight around.
He's always done that so it's nothing new but more so this year and as you said, probably providing that path for a few of the younger guys.

He doesn't look it but Johnson is built like a bloody brick and when he bumps with intent, they usually stay down :thumbsu:

The old stevie shuffle shirtfront

Hear, hear! he's an absolute beauty, but gotta be looked after as suggested........ if Boak can provide the inside chop for Selwood I guess his inclusion would be ideal.

If Boak doesn't come are there any others on the horizon that could if the role?
One J Caddy springs to mind

good point, he's actually been doing a hell of a lot of that this season hasn't he...really throwing his weight around.
He's always done that so it's nothing new but more so this year and as you said, probably providing that path for a few of the younger guys.

He doesn't look it but Johnson is built like a bloody brick and when he bumps with intent, they usually stay down :thumbsu:

The guys one tough mother...

I hope you're right, been a long time since we've signed a so-called boutique player, but I think we've got a few similar types, albeit a year or two away from where he is ATM.
Would he step over Bundy?
No way for me!
I don't think that Bundy's position would be under threat. It will be the senior players who will be under the spotlight.

AM , he is probably ahead on Ablett at the same stage. Can his upside be as high as GA who knows but at the moment he is at least equal to Ablett in the 2004 season ( 3 years in)
agree with the majority... he's gotta stop banging his head so much otherwise his career will be cut short

'News' from the Hun - Boak expected to re-sign within a week for 2 years @ $700K pa.

If he can get that sort of dosh, I'm not surprised he wants to stay - he'll waste his career though!

Two year contract puts him at RFA but who could beat Port for dollars. Sign now and he is in Port for good id say. Good luck to him if thats what he want , this about the 4th the time this story has had a twist , Im going to wait for the final sting before closing this thread.

But if he does sign who becomes our next target if in fact we have one? Is there some one out there with same age , plug and play etc?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two year contract puts him at RFA but who could beat Port for dollars. Sign now and he is in Port for good id say. Good luck to him if thats what he want , this about the 4th the time this story has had a twist , Im going to wait for the final sting before closing this thread.

But if he does sign who becomes our next target if in fact we have one? Is there some one out there with same age , plug and play etc?
Do we actually need a target?
Can see lots of upside in Duncan as an elite mid, Bundy too, Selwood is super-elite, SJ, Bartel, Kelly, and next year, our outside mids in Varcoe, Motlop and maybe Smedts, will be better. I like the concept of us MAKING what we have the best they can be and we've done really well with that.

Would Myles Sewell be an option? We've had some success with VFL recruits already.

He'd need to put on about 7kgs.

Can't see why we would bother hitting the trade table for anything less than an A grade player (Boak). It's Boak or nothing IMO.

Doubt it would happen as I have read that Moloney wasn't a very popular cat in his day but what would we think of getting him via free agency if Boak falls through?

Seriously he is a good player who has had a shocking year due to politics and perhaps his own attitude. If he can regain form though everyone knows he's a gun.

Sure he will be 29 next year but does that matter if he comes at no cost? Could fill the gap for 2 years while our young guns continue to improve and mature.

I had similar thoughts, but he's not an A grader and think give it's his last contract he'd probably look to one of the expansion clubs for some cash money.

Can see lots of upside in Duncan as an elite mid, Bundy too, Selwood is super-elite, SJ, Bartel, Kelly, and next year, our outside mids in Varcoe, Motlop and maybe Smedts, will be better. I like the concept of us MAKING what we have the best they can be and we've done really well with that.

We do. Selwood is getting smashed regularly, and Bundy and Duncan, as good as they are, are not quite suited to the full-time inside role. We're relatively okay while Kelly and Corey are helping out under the packs, but that aint a long term situation. A good to excellent inside mid around 23, 24 years of age, would be the perfect acquisition given the state of our list.

Don't disagree but a lot will depend on what the clubs sees as areas we need to boost. I think they concerned of asking to much of Selwood. I think have made it know they would like to add to the 22-24 group. Now while the Boak "Opera" has been happening this year , 3 Rookies have shown us that we may have player that could easily be worthy of a spot in this age group. Give them more time they could cover that spot for us.

Do we continue to look at Stevens,Caddy,Gysberts... whoever? If in doubt I go with what Wells says. He knows who he can probably get with our picks and trading a pick off may be the correct tactical thing to do. I maintain Caddy would be an addition I'd relish but Ess seems strongly linked to him.

Josh Caddy anyone?

No....one kick and two handballs on the weekend. Useless.

He'll be good for Essendon but wouldnt break into our side IMO....though I should add he has his fans on here. (Cough...Turbo...cough) I just havent seen him do enough to warrant the hype. We have depth already down at Geelong with his type of player.

I still think David Myers is worth a look....his type wouldnt go astray on our list. And he's not re signed with Essendon as yet. KPP, mature bodied and a beautiful kick. If we could de-Don him he might be very handy. :thumbsu:

If Boak stays good on him, at least he'll be the highest paid player at Port, and that is the salary cap working exactly how it should, right? But even if he's offered $700k, does that guarantee he will stay? He may still have not decided either way just because he is telling his manager to "draw us up a contract with the club". His management will be pushing Boak to stay as it's a bigger pay day for them but that's understanadble as the manager won't get to share in Premiership medallions if that's what Boak choses to pursue instead of a big pay day.

At the end of the day, Trav can not make a decision either way until Port field their best offer, Geelong won't budge, but Port it seems have a bit more juice to wring out of them before they can say they have offered their best. This has either been a very calculated and manipulative display by Boaks management group to get more money with Travis never intending on leaving (unlikely), or whenever it has looked like he was set to go, the club found more salary cap space which is why we see all the toing and froing.

This was never supposed to be about money, but everyone has their price eventually, and $250k a year more to stay where he is now, as opposed to leaving for a bigger pay day is very hard to knock back, even considering his well documented family issues.

If Travis decides to come to the Cats I'd be stoked, as long as we didn't lose too much. I'm sure there would be some pain to endure for getting Boak, it couldn't possibly be any other way. You don't get a player of his calibre who fills such an important hole in our list for free, so whether it's a first rounder and compo pick, or either pick with a good young player, it will bite. But the flipside won't be so bad if we don't get him and quite frankly I'd be relieved to know that Murdoch and/or Hyphen will remain Cats and Wells can work his magic with our first rounders.

Ive got mail aswell saying he will stay.
Seems to have found contentment knowing he will make bigger coin but not become the player he SHOULD be or do anything with his career.
Personally I'm ok with that, we dont want a player who is ok with mediocrity, I want players who strive to become better.
Does anyone else see similarities with Port now and Geelong in the 90s? Off field is a complete rabble and the players are just happy making decent coin and only being a middle of the road player/team?

AM , he is probably ahead on Ablett at the same stage. Can his upside be as high as GA who knows but at the moment he is at least equal to Ablett in the 2004 season ( 3 years in)

I like Christensen but he isn't anywhere near Ablett at the same stage. Ablett had the potential to be a superstar with his little taps and smart play. Christensen will be a good little player but wont be a superstar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back