List Mgmt. Geelong's interest in Travis Boak

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I duno about the rest of you guys but I'm starting to think that we should not be giving up more than a first rounder (or comp pick) for boak.

It is quite evident that boak has stagnated n due to his role at port, he has gone from a young gun with potential, to a B+ 1 kick clearance player. When was the last time he was bog or took a running bounce down a wing?

He is not the mid that will win a game off his own boot sadly.. He is more of a grinder/workman like mid.

I'm not saying we shouldn't pursue him, just that we shouldnt trade away too much for him. I would actually rather go after caddy n attain him before his development is ruined at the suns.

Maybe we can reprogram him?!

FWIW, we have had major developmental issues with all of our talent. We haven't produced a decent player at our club since about '04. If Boak were to go to you guys, and get into your system, I tell you that he will be 10x better than he is now.

FWIW, we have had major developmental issues with all of our talent. We haven't produced a decent player at our club since about '04. If Boak were to go to you guys, and get into your system, I tell you that he will be 10x better than he is now.
And that is the exact reason why I think Port fans will over inflate his value. He is a 100 gamer first round draft pick set to take the next step forward and blossom to become the talented player everyone expected him to be once in his prime. Port fans will want compensation through high draft picks and or good young players in return, not for the player they are potentially losing in Boak, but the potential in Boak himself. If Boak stays at Port and doesn't develop, will Port fans say that he was an over rated spud once his career is over? Will they say along the same lines as you, that his development was somehow stunted by being at Port? Who knows? One thing I am certain of is that if Boak wants to get the best out of himself, he will only have the best opportunities at Geelong.

I can't comment on other clubs, but i do believe that with Geelong's recent success, we as supporters can rest assured knowing that if any player doesn't make it, the club did in fact give them every opportunity to do so. So in some sense Boak is worth more to Geelong than what he is potentially worth at Port. But if you are to go along that line of reasoning, then every young player and every draft pick wouldn't be worth as much to Port than it would to any other club that can extract the best out of them. I personally wouldn't stand by these comments, even if I thought they were true. I think that whatever Ports ability to get the best out of young platers is, they certainly will have a lot harder time of it if the kids they bring in aren't as naturally good as others. Which is why I think that Port should, and will, fight tooth and nail to either keep Travis as Alberton, or push to get as much compensation as they can get for losing him.

His kicking has only been off this year because he's spent it playing with a foot problem, you try doing that and see the effect that it has.

Strangled Cat does have some good points, but at the end of the day he would still be a very good acquisition, at the right price, and that's what trading is all about. If the club's trying to get him I have no doubt they think they can do it for an appropriate price, they generally get things right so I doubt we would severely overpay.

He plays both the position and is in the age bracket we need, and he knows how to get the football, which is something we could surely use more of at the moment.

Good call , suspect he would be on our radar based on his performance yesterday.
Well I dont know much about trading etc the way i see they need muture type players someone like a monty hogan or even a stoker.If another club was inplay 3 way deal cats get caddy dont care about the other clubs aslong all parties happy manly geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eh? I wasn't having a go at him, just commenting on the article, sheesh.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to have a go at you.

Was just trying to point out the differences in his performances this year as compared to 10 and 11.

If we are to remain competitive it's trades like this (Boak) that will allow us to remain competitive over the next few years. As well as losing Ling, Corey and Chapman from our midfield I'm now starting to wonder how much longer the likes of Bartel will be competitive in the midfield. His best footy this year has been playing either at half back or as a marking forward.

And it's not just Boak that we need. We will have to bring at least 2-3 ready-to-go midfielders in over the next 2 years otherwise I fear we will fall rapidly. Our seasoned players have aged profoundly this last year.

If we are to remain competitive it's trades like this (Boak) that will allow us to remain competitive over the next few years. As well as losing Ling, Corey and Chapman from our midfield I'm now starting to wonder how much longer the likes of Bartel will be competitive in the midfield. His best footy this year has been playing either at half back or as a marking forward.

And it's not just Boak that we need. We will have to bring at least 2-3 ready-to-go midfielders in over the next 2 years otherwise I fear we will fall rapidly. Our seasoned players have aged profoundly this last year.

Its a good point YOTC. Bringing Boak will to a degree be a bandaid to team , for we need more than the one mid. The question is then , are we better off using multiple early picks to get a ready made or do we go the traditional method of adding more kids. Either way a slide is going to happen , the next group of games will tell us a lot. If we were to win every game , a top is easily justified conversely if the results are bad and we miss the 8 , I suppose.

Its a good point YOTC. Bringing Boak will to a degree be a bandaid to team , for we need more than the one mid. The question is then , are we better off using multiple early picks to get a ready made or do we go the traditional method of adding more kids. Either way a slide is going to happen , the next group of games will tell us a lot. If we were to win every game , a top is easily justified conversely if the results are bad and we miss the 8 , I suppose.

It's an interesting conundrum. By getting an established player like Boak at least you know what you are getting - although in all likelihood you pays overs, at the same time you bring a seasoned player in from day one.

The other route is going through the draft obviously. For the sake of argument lets say we need to use both our first round pick and our compo pick to get Boak. What the club would be possibly thinking is whether the "value" of Boak is worthy of say a pick 15 and a pick 10 (guestimating the compo pick value). So if we were to use both picks this year (I realise we have not activated our compo pick - this is just as a theoretical exercise) is Boak worth say a Wright and an O'Rourke? I'm not sure whether he is. But taking the draftees means there will be a lag until we see their best footy.

I think the club has to be realistic in evaluating their list post the retirements of Scarlett, Corey, Chappy etc. Are we realistically going to be able to challenge whilst the likes of Kelly, Bartel and SJ are still playing? If not then I think we go down the draft route. One of the reasons for our success over the 07-11 period was that we brought through a raft of players of a similar age that we drafted in 99 and 01. If Wells can nail a couple of drafts like he appears to have in 2009 then who's to say we can't do in 2017 and beyond what we have just experienced recently?

Good points

I think we already have a strong group who have been together for 2-3 years already in the VFL.
The results those kids are putting in is already beginning to blossom this year as we saw with the current crop of veterans back in 2002.

Simpson, Walker, Burbury, Duncan, Motlop, Christensen, Cowan, West, Gillies, Hogan, Hunt, Menzel, Vardy etc...those boys have been together for a while now and then we have had some recent additions like Guthrie, Smedts, Murdoch, Stringer and Simpkin who will gain even more experience by playing alongside the current champs.

From your list only Christensen, Motlop, Duncan, T.Hunt, Menzel and Vardy (injury permitting), Guthrie and Smedts appear to have long careers ahead of them. Maybe West and Murdoch as well. Only Christensen from this list, at this stage, is able to play as an inside midfielder. With really only Selwood to assist him, this is an area that needs urgent attention. Boak would help. But the point of what I was trying to say was that we need more of these types - not flankers.

Yes we need more inside players but they need to be quality. I look at that list above and see a lot of talent but that doesn't mean they will make it. Having broken in to the side at the start of a rebuild doesn't mean you are there at the end. Spriggs for instance. Right now someone like TaylorH really needs to work on his foot skills or its not likely that he will be a long term player.

So on one hand pay overs for a player of know ability
or
Get in kids , know they will not all make it so some picks will be wasted yet get enough right and you have a new era.

The person who would have far better idea on the correct approach would be SW. If he think we can get a kid or two late that has slipped.... we then its best of both worlds. And as I've said all along , half of the value of Boak will be to relieve pressure on the kids so that we dont become to youth centric like GC

And as I've said all along , half of the value of Boak will be to relieve pressure on the kids so that we dont become to youth centric like GC

I think this is one of the other strong considerations. We need balance in our list age and it's no secret we have a void in that 22-26 year old age group. Boak, as well as being at the lower end of that age bracket is quality. Unless we are required to pay too much he should be trade target no 1 (which he is). It's not every day you get a guy like him that comes from the Geelong region that may want to come home.

But having sewn him up do we look at doing something similar again next year? Or do you go back to the draft? I suppose it depends on who is available. One thing I don't want to be doing though is topping up with ordinary footballers or ones that have seen their best footy ala Hawthorn (i.e Burgoyne, Cheney, Hale, Bruce). I reckon if they don't win the flag this year they are stuffed from all the trading they have done over the past few years. Grant you though that we are at a different stage of our cycle than they were when they started that process.

I think this is one of the other strong considerations. We need balance in our list age and it's no secret we have a void in that 22-26 year old age group. Boak, as well as being at the lower end of that age bracket is quality. Unless we are required to pay too much he should be trade target no 1 (which he is). It's not every day you get a guy like him that comes from the Geelong region that may want to come home.

But having sewn him up do we look at doing something similar again next year? Or do you go back to the draft? I suppose it depends on who is available. One thing I don't want to be doing though is topping up with ordinary footballers or ones that have seen their best footy ala Hawthorn (i.e Burgoyne, Cheney, Hale, Bruce). I reckon if they don't win the flag this year they are stuffed from all the trading they have done over the past few years. Grant you though that we are at a different stage of our cycle than they were when they started that process.
boak is in
deal is done -port will not get overs

boak is in
deal is done -port will not get overs

I love your confidence _Me_ but how could you possibly know this?! You might have inside info that he wants to leave and even that he may indicate us as his preferred destination but how would you know what the particulars of the trade itself are?

_Me_ probably won't give any details, but I feel the weird urge to trust him on this.

This may be the one thing he gets right ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back