News Geelong's position in Essendon investigation and ACC report

Remove this Banner Ad

So shit has escalated a bit today.....

And Hird STILL can't even show remorse for having done something wrong.

What do the bombers seriously expect to happen here? They aren't going to win and doing this kills any chance of the AFL being lenient on them.. might not be a bombers in the comp for a couple of years the way this is going

Someone in another thread made the great comparison of Napoleon going to war with Russia. It will not end well. If they piss Fitzpatrick off enough a couple of pen strokes and they are deregistered. I can't see the other 17 club clamouring to let them back into the AFL either - especially West Coast and the Pies who have had their reputations sullied.

I cant see me reading it.
Over 30 pages isn't it?

Whats the gist of what Hird and Bomber did or are being charged for?

The letter that Bruce Reid wrote to Hird probably summarized the issue better than anyone else has.

It is quite bizarre, because he wrote that before it all unfolded.

It was incredibly prescient on the ethical issues. I would seek that out, if nothing else.

Just watched the channel nine news report on the story.

They reported that Bomber Thompson pushed hard to get Robinson to EFC, even though he had significant doubts about his actions in the past, or words to that effect. Did I hear that right? (I was distracted at the time)

It's no wonder Essendon were saying they couldn't find the letter from Reid. They've gone all out to protect Hird, who has done nothing to protect his own players.

Also not sure how you square wanting natural justice and due process with complaining the accusations are out in the open.
Hird is directing his comments at the totality of the process to date not merely today's proceedings.

It's reasonable for Hird to claim that all the accusations leveled at him and the club should be on the table thereby permitting his and the clubs legal advisers to have all evidence before them. That can't happen until the final ASADA findings are known. That won't occur until ASADA has completed it's ongoing investigations using their greatly enhanced investigative powers. Powers that took effect from August one this year.

Only if you're illiterate.

Guess there's being able to read. Then there's being able to comprehend.

The letter that Bruce Reid wrote to Hird probably summarized the issue better than anyone else has.

It is quite bizarre, because he wrote that before it all unfolded.

It was incredibly prescient on the ethical issues. I would seek that out, if nothing else.
Think Bomber comes out of today's revelations in better shape too having made a concerted effort to stop the supplement program.

I don't see what the bombers and hird have to gain by giving everyone the "when the truth comes out we will all be cleared" crap.
They are in BIG trouble, do they really think constant denial will somehow make ASADA and the AFL wilt and announce them innocent?
It seems a really strange situation...

I leave you to guess who the big rabbit is.

I don't see what the bombers and hird have to gain by giving everyone the "when the truth comes out we will all be cleared" crap.
They are in BIG trouble, do they really think constant denial will somehow make ASADA and the AFL wilt and announce them innocent?
It seems a really strange situation...
Reckon when David Evans was the Prez the club was in mediation mode. Since Little took over they've become more combative. They now appear on a war footing.

There is to be a meeting convened by the AFL of all the clubs tomorrow on this matter. Will be intriguing to hear what comes of that.

Reckon when David Evans was the Prez the club was in mediation mode. Since Little took over they've become more combative. They now appear on a war footing.

There is to be a meeting convened by the AFL of all the clubs tomorrow on this matter. Will be intriguing to hear what comes of that.
So what's your take on that Ammo,just bringing the CEOs up to speed or more?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They reported that Bomber Thompson pushed hard to get Robinson to EFC, even though he had significant doubts about his actions in the past, or words to that effect. Did I hear that right? (I was distracted at the time)

You heard correctly. This is how it's written in the report:

Thompson pushed very strongly for the appointment of Robinson, notwithstanding the fact that Thompson knew or believed that there were significant concerns about the manner in which Robinson had conducted himself.

Well am thinking they other clubs wont be too sympathetic to Essendon-Pies and WC -lol. And Cook on the radio last weekend was pretty clear-they took risks, lost control, have to be consequences. Carlton will show no mercy etc etc. Will be intereting.

This is what it says about Thompson and Robinson's appointment:

24. On 25 August 2011, Robinson was employed by the Club as its High Performance Coach.
His mandate at the Club included the formulation and implementation of a program
relating to the administration of supplements to its players. The usual human resources
processes for the employment of Robinson were not followed. He was selected from
outside the list of applicants being processed by the Club’s Human Resources
Department. The Club did not conduct any adequate checks in relation to any references
or employment history. He was not the subject to any “fit and proper person” probity
checks.
25. Thompson pushed very strongly for the appointment of Robinson, notwithstanding the
fact that Thompson knew or believed that there were significant concerns about the
manner in which Robinson had conducted himself.
26. Thompson took no adequate steps to ensure that Robinson was subjected to appropriate
employment history checks or that Robinson was appropriately supervised and managed,
despite knowing or believing that such supervision and management was necessary.

I can see no info as to what the questions were about Robinson's past conduct.
It also queries his support for the appointment of Dank.

35. Thompson supported the appointment of Dank and failed to raise concerns regarding
Dank notwithstanding the fact that Thompson knew or believed that there were
significant concerns in relation to the appropriateness of Dank for the position of Sports
Scientist at the Club.
36. Thompson took no adequate steps to ensure that Dank was subjected to appropriate
employment history checks or that Dank was appropriately supervised and managed,
despite knowing or believing that such checks, supervision and management were
necessary.

No idea what that's about, either.
But:

39. Proper regard to the usual human resources process for the employment of Robinson and
Dank would likely have alerted the Club to potential risks to the health and safety of the
players and to the potential risks of the Club failing to comply with the AFL Anti-Doping
Code if these persons were employed.

And no info about that either.

Well am thinking they other clubs wont be too sympathetic to Essendon-Pies and WC -lol. And Cook on the radio last weekend was pretty clear-they took risks, lost control, have to be consequences. Carlton will show no mercy etc etc. Will be intereting.
Agree! Reckon the principal reason for the meeting is to shore up support for the AFL position. Be very surprised if the statement at the conclusion wasn't unanimous support for the AFL.

Agree! Reckon the principal reason for the meeting is to shore up support for the AFL position. Be very surprised if the statement at the conclusion wasn't unanimous support for the AFL.

Maybe also to give the other clubs the facts of life about the inevitable further delays in this process and its resolution.
And that the resolution might not be satisfactory to anybody.

Yep exactly- and really we just want to get back to footy-Bombers just need to cop their right whack and let us concentrate on great finals series coming up.

Hird is directing his comments at the totality of the process to date not merely today's proceedings.

It's reasonable for Hird to claim that all the accusations leveled at him and the club should be on the table thereby permitting his and the clubs legal advisers to have all evidence before them. That can't happen until the final ASADA findings are known. That won't occur until ASADA has completed it's ongoing investigations using their greatly enhanced investigative powers. Powers that took effect from August one this year.
How can you ever possibly know if you have 'all the evidence'? If that was a reasonable assumption no crime would ever be prosecuted because another witness could come forward or another piece of physical evidence could be found. What matters is whether or not the AFL - because this is not ASADA's case - is satisfied that an offense has taken place and that a sufficient level of evidence exists to prove it. Dank's evidence is totally irrelevant if it's not used against Hird, which it won't be given when the hearing is scheduled for.

Hird's argument about 'trial by media' is totally disingenuous. He's spent six months complaining that the AFL is running a conspiracy against him through certain journalists and that he'll be vindicated when it all comes out. Finally the AFL makes its case very clearly to the public and he complains that this somehow handicaps him! It's rubbish. The AFL should be commended for their transparency in finally giving the public a look.

Guess there's being able to read. Then there's being able to comprehend.
My comment was obviously tongue in cheek, but 34 pages of dot points isn't very much to read. Particularly when the majority of the document is in a narrative format that slowly builds the case rather than leveling specific accusations.

Malthouse has already made his thoughts clear.... and Barrett on the footy show last week said whilst Mick was the only one to publicly voice his thoughts.. his view was common amongst the other clubs..
(Or words to that effect)

Remove this Banner Ad

News Geelong's position in Essendon investigation and ACC report

Remove this Banner Ad

Back