No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #12 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gut feel is Ratten and Saints management have had a disagreement during trade period as to the shape and direction of the list. Hence the sacking. That list needs a huge influx of young talent and to stop topping up with overpaid role players. Hope the new coach is given the luxury to rebuild properly or they also will be a dead man walking.

Gut feel is Ratten and Saints management have had a disagreement during trade period as to the shape and direction of the list. Hence the sacking. That list needs a huge influx of young talent and to stop topping up with overpaid role players. Hope the new coach is given the luxury to rebuild properly or they also will be a dead man walking.

Yep, rebuild time again. Reckon ratts thought otherwise.

Yep, rebuild time again. Reckon ratts thought otherwise.

I reckon the opposite. Ratts would realise the list needs more young talent but the board and management don’t want to take a few steps back to go forward.. memberships and all that are important to the sides with lower membership numbers.

Ratts tried to push underachievers out the door and rejuvenate the list (hence why guys like Clark were dangled).

This Saints list management team is aimed at finals or bust. Even 7/8 and out will do.

They should never have extended Ratts.

Ben McEvoy retired in August. 😂

So their board re-signs him mid year for 2 years and then sacks him after commissioning a report at the end of the season?

Probably an example of when the club should have to pay out the full contract amount as opposed to the 6 months that they are limited to.

Not sure that this has promoted any great confidence in their board. Simon Lethlean always struck me as a bit of a snakeskin oil salesman. Everything that I've seen of him at stkilda has only reinforced that. Thank God we dodged that bullet.

From memory at the time Ratts, Teague and Shaw all got coaching appointments after being caretakers. Probably the last time we see that happen. Feel for Ratts, one of our great champions- hope that he can find joy and happiness in the rest of his life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m always surprised at the reverence around here for Ratten the coach. He’s middle of the road at best, and what I’ve seen at St Kilda only reinforces my view on that. Hasn’t evolved a game plan beyond “get it to Judd, kick it to Fev” over reliance on stars, and has never developed a team plan. Stars are vital, but there needs to be a more encompassing plan in modern footy.

I hope Ratts looks after himself from here, because he hasn’t looked well to me for some time. I think a step away from the coaching box can be a good thing for him personally, though no doubt he will find it a challenging transition. I truly hope he can make it work.

I’m always surprised at the reverence around here for Ratten the coach. He’s middle of the road at best, and what I’ve seen at St Kilda only reinforces my view on that. Hasn’t evolved a game plan beyond “get it to Judd, kick it to Fev” over reliance on stars, and has never developed a team plan. Stars are vital, but there needs to be a more encompassing plan in modern footy.

I hope Ratts looks after himself from here, because he hasn’t looked well to me for some time. I think a step away from the coaching box can be a good thing for him personally, though no doubt he will find it a challenging transition. I truly hope he can make it work.
Agree. He has looked really unhealthy for a while. Hope it's cause for some healthy recalibration. Good luck to him

So their board re-signs him mid year for 2 years and then sacks him after commissioning a report at the end of the season?

Probably an example of when the club should have to pay out the full contract amount as opposed to the 6 months that they are limited to.

Not sure that this has promoted any great confidence in their board. Simon Lethlean always struck me as a bit of a snakeskin oil salesman. Everything that I've seen of him at stkilda has only reinforced that. Thank God we dodged that bullet.

From memory at the time Ratts, Teague and Shaw all got coaching appointments after being caretakers. Probably the last time we see that happen. Feel for Ratts, one of our great champions- hope that he can find joy and happiness in the rest of his life.
Couldn't Ttract that high quality bastion of society J. De Goey, so...yeah.
Out St.Kildering themselves.

Saints have just set fire to circa $600k-$1m soft cap- Ratts just signed for 2yrs I would think he’s on $300-$500k, that’s just so piss poor management. Must have been one hell of a blow up
pretty sure there's a clause now

Caroline Wilson said:
The AFL has dramatically intervened in the contentious issue of long-term coaching contracts, determined to put an end to the practice of million-dollar payouts to sacked senior coaches.

The new guideline mandates a maximum six-month settlement to any sacked coach at an AFL-funded club regardless of the length of his contract. Quietly put into place before the COVID-19 outbreak, towards the end of last season, it has directly affected the new deal struck between the Giants and Leon Cameron despite significant opposition from Cameron's manager Craig Kelly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back