No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get that.

To do it now, probably means rolling back things that are already in place for Tassie in 2027.

However - there are a heap of pluses to the move, and there is still time IMHO

North are cooked. Their fanbase is jumping off in droves, and who can blame them.

Outside of the heavily AFL subsidised Arden Street development, they are a financial black hole.

They couldn't even get a sponsor for their shorts this season.

Can't see that changing next year, can anyone?

But - always a but - if the AFL do decide, well It's a great move.

A ready made fanbase in Melbourne (some will jump to the Tassie Roos) and in Tasmania.

23 games:

10 in Hobart

2 in Launceston ( GCS & Freo)

7 in Melbourne

1 in WA

1 in SA

1 in NSW

1 in QLD

A team that can start with Xerri, RHJ, LDU, Wardlaw, Larkey, Sheezel, McKercher, Comben and Duursma will be competitive a lot sooner than CGS or GWS were.

You'd start building next season - Clarkson either coaches Tassie as well (not ideal) or you get the inaugural Tassie Coach into North in 2026 to start the list build.

Players not wanting to shift south can be traded or contracts paid out.

Look - I know it will be a huge mess to start - but North Melbourne simply will not survive another 2 seasons if drastic action isn't taken right now.

There are too many teams in Melbourne, and this makes the competition much closer to a 'national' one, and removes the extra rolling bye you'd have with an odd number of teams.

There's no way a second new team will be anywhere near ready - so this keeps the comp at even numbers (18) until 2 new team are actually ready and are supported by population growth - probably NSW and WA.

I have nothing against North Melbourne, but they will be playing in front of 7-8000 max next season, and that isn't sustainable.

They will be worse than Fitzroy on and off-field by the end of 2026.

Time for the big call - and the big call is to relocate them to Hobart.

The Tassie Roos.

Season 9 No GIF by The Office

I've always wondered how they can enforce this rule...

Does the AFL have A.I/Jason Bourne Scanning Technology?

No idea mate , apparently 9 people received lifetime bans last year for racial vilification.

I guess there is a huge penalty/fine if caught inside the stadium as the deterrent?

Blues fans whinging about the feee kick count, (lead by BT of course).
As a neutral, I can’t see the issue tbh.
Thanks to the in ear umpire coaching mics it will probably end up even anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back