No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll never understand this. Does anyone actually even watch this? It's just so American.

Wonder if the AFL will recoup their $5m investment on this too. How many local clubs and leagues on the brink of folding could that amount save?

I generally watch the entire broadcast - but I am hardly tuning in for the entertainment. Just put an Aussie artist on and be done with it - you're right in that the money could be far better spent on grass roots footy.

I'll never understand this. Does anyone actually even watch this? It's just so American.

Wonder if the AFL will recoup their $5m investment on this too. How many local clubs and leagues on the brink of folding could that amount save?
It ain't my go , but yes this will get extra people watching no doubt about it .
She is a worldwide star .

It's a huge get IMO from a TV audience and overseas reach perspective

I generally watch the entire broadcast - but I am hardly tuning in for the entertainment. Just put an Aussie artist on and be done with it - you're right in that the money could be far better spent on grass roots footy.
I know what you mean but the "right" pre game entertainment just lights up the day. I loved Kiss last year for example.
Just don't bring back Barnsey. Love the guy but his voice is shot.

I know what you mean but the "right" pre game entertainment just lights up the day. I loved Kiss last year for example.
Just don't bring back Barnsey. Love the guy but his voice is shot.

Oh the right entertainment is definitely good - I really enjoyed The Killers for example. Barnesy is probably booked for the NRL anyway - he does it every 2-3 years it seems.

Worst entertainment option I have seen was Human Nature doing it before an Origin game in Sydney. Always a bad sign when the crowd is booing the musical act.

Robbie Williams was very good two years ago. The Hunters and Collectors were good a few years before that, too. Katie Perry isn't my cup of tea but I reckon she likely puts on a very good show. Maybe she'll do another Robbie and I think that's worth the hype and the dough.

Robbie Williams was very good two years ago. The Hunters and Collectors were good a few years before that, too. Katie Perry isn't my cup of tea but I reckon she likely puts on a very good show. Maybe she'll do another Robbie and I think that's worth the hype and the dough.
The best of the lot by a long LONG way was Ellie Golding, who could ever forget 50,000 backing singers singing CYYYYRIL CYYYYRIL over everything and anything she sang. What a series of awesome renditions for what would otherwise have been a fairly vanilla performance.

The AFL says Carlton breached concussion protocols by not removing Harry McKay from the field on Sunday, but the Blues will only be handed a reprimand.

The AFL is utterly broken on concussions. They suspend players for multiple weeks for permitted actions that result in accidental concussions but deliver slaps on the wrist and understanding head-nods when clubs break the actual treatment rules.

This is a full-contact sport. Injuries happen from perfectly valid actions. To the head and elsewhere. The issue, given play is within the reasonable expectation of violence given the nature of the game, is that the treatment of injuries to the head and elsewhere is appropriate for the injury. The AFL seems hellbent on punishing the players for the event and excusing the clubs and themselves for the treatment of the results.

The AFL has their priorities on head injury management 180 degrees backwards from what they should be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As long as we can avoid a second run of Angry Anderson or another Meatloaf-like performance then I'm all for the pregame party.

The sad thing is, Bound For Glory is an absolute cracking track. Angry certainly didn’t do it justice in 91.

But you did.

Are you saying we should take no notice of what you write?

I can do that.
Starting Now Andy Allen GIF by MasterChefAU

:thumbsu:

No problem. Read it as a joke.

Gowers is a champ.

Go Hawks.

Yeah, really top bloke.
I spoke to him at length about why I'm heavily invested in the women's team (the story is here somewhere about how several of the women's players helped me through a really rough time at the start of s7), he actually asked me how I would do things which took me by surprise.

Same night, whilst the mens players in attendance were either mingling with each other or talking to the people they knew, I had Connor McDonald come straight up and introduce himself to me and have a chat, but that's a different story

Am I right in reading that the media wrote several articles about how Naicos is the goat for asking Breust how to be good for so long?

Am i cooked or is thst what it boils down to?

If it is, **** me that is a pathetic display.

For some reason I was just thinking about one of the strangest things I have seen on a football field. It happened way back in 1982 during the reserves match between Collingwood and Hawthorn at a rain soaked Victoria Park. The incident occured in the second quarter when veteran Hawk stalwart Alle de Wolde ran into the centre of the ground and soccered the loose ball which proceeded to travel the best part of 60 meters along the ground for a goal.

The AFL is utterly broken on concussions. They suspend players for multiple weeks for permitted actions that result in accidental concussions but deliver slaps on the wrist and understanding head-nods when clubs break the actual treatment rules.

This is a full-contact sport. Injuries happen from perfectly valid actions. To the head and elsewhere. The issue, given play is within the reasonable expectation of violence given the nature of the game, is that the treatment of injuries to the head and elsewhere is appropriate for the injury. The AFL seems hellbent on punishing the players for the event and excusing the clubs and themselves for the treatment of the results.

The AFL has their priorities on head injury management 180 degrees backwards from what they should be.

Absolutely spot on - It infuriates me that the AFL hand out “please explains” to clubs when they full well know they have the power to stop this altogether by having the games halted at the next stoppage to allow the player to leave the field. The NRL does it perfectly, but for some reason the AFL continues to have its head in the sand when the solution is literally at their neighbours house.

So are we all hoping for a 10 goal thumping of Port tonight so their percentage slips below ours? Or is barracking for Carlol beyond some on here?
I actually want Carlton to win.
They're far too top-heavy from a list build point of view, and most lists set up like that tend to fail spectacularly in finals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back