No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Bont finishes his career without winning a Brownlow, I'd consider it the biggest injustice in the history of the award. There are guys like Lethal and KB who also never won it but that was to be expected back then, it's much more predictable now and there's far fewer years that feel obviously rigged.

Get the feeling that Bont suffers because he seems to either poll 3 or nothing. Has 42 games with 3 votes, 17 with 2 votes and 9 with 1 vote.
The Brownlow Medal once mattered but now, for mine, the coaches award is more prestigious because it is more accurate in naming the most influential players on the ground. The Bont has one of those.

This list is better than the Brownlow

If Bont finishes his career without winning a Brownlow, I'd consider it the biggest injustice in the history of the award. There are guys like Lethal and KB who also never won it but that was to be expected back then, it's much more predictable now and there's far fewer years that feel obviously rigged.

Get the feeling that Bont suffers because he seems to either poll 3 or nothing. Has 42 games with 3 votes, 17 with 2 votes and 9 with 1 vote.
Yea Nar. 1977 is the year people should have stopped caring about the Brownlow. When a player averaging just shy of 28 touches and 4 goals a game doesnt win the Brownlow, you really have to ask why the award exists.

North won their first two games in 2020. Since that point they’ve played 105 games won 13 lost 91 and drew 1 and had a percentage of 65.1%

With all that they’ve gone absolutely nowhere and have just had their 8th biggest loss ever and 2nd biggest loss during this torrid run.

It’s ridiculous to think they are still as bad as they are with no real signs of hope or improvement for the future.

North won their first two games in 2020. Since that point they’ve played 105 games won 13 lost 91 and drew 1 and had a percentage of 65.1%

With all that they’ve gone absolutely nowhere and have just had their 8th biggest loss ever and 2nd biggest loss during this torrid run.

It’s ridiculous to think they are still as bad as they are with no real signs of hope or improvement for the future.
I watched Clarko's presser after the match. He gave no sense of hope, no excitement for the future. Seemed resigned to the fact that they'll always be bottom dwellers.

Way too many clubs now too. Should absolutely have been rolled in to Gold Coast or Tassie

North aren't going to Tassie.
Even if it was ever an option it's not now.

I get that.

To do it now, probably means rolling back things that are already in place for Tassie in 2027.

However - there are a heap of pluses to the move, and there is still time IMHO

North are cooked. Their fanbase is jumping off in droves, and who can blame them.

Outside of the heavily AFL subsidised Arden Street development, they are a financial black hole.

They couldn't even get a sponsor for their shorts this season.

Can't see that changing next year, can anyone?

But - always a but - if the AFL do decide, well It's a great move.

A ready made fanbase in Melbourne (some will jump to the Tassie Roos) and in Tasmania.

23 games:

10 in Hobart

2 in Launceston ( GCS & Freo)

7 in Melbourne

1 in WA

1 in SA

1 in NSW

1 in QLD

A team that can start with Xerri, RHJ, LDU, Wardlaw, Larkey, Sheezel, McKercher, Comben and Duursma will be competitive a lot sooner than CGS or GWS were.

You'd start building next season - Clarkson either coaches Tassie as well (not ideal) or you get the inaugural Tassie Coach into North in 2026 to start the list build.

Players not wanting to shift south can be traded or contracts paid out.

Look - I know it will be a huge mess to start - but North Melbourne simply will not survive another 2 seasons if drastic action isn't taken right now.

There are too many teams in Melbourne, and this makes the competition much closer to a 'national' one, and removes the extra rolling bye you'd have with an odd number of teams.

There's no way a second new team will be anywhere near ready - so this keeps the comp at even numbers (18) until 2 new team are actually ready and are supported by population growth - probably NSW and WA.

I have nothing against North Melbourne, but they will be playing in front of 7-8000 max next season, and that isn't sustainable.

They will be worse than Fitzroy on and off-field by the end of 2026.

Time for the big call - and the big call is to relocate them to Hobart.

The Tassie Roos.

Watching the match yesterday I was struck by how disorganised and loose they looked.

Clarkson teams generally always look defensively rigid (some would say too rigid in his last few years at the Hawks) but the Roos played as loose as a country footy seconds team yesterday.

It's really made the last few years out of whack somewhat, the fact that we have had Norf and West Coast being so bad for quite a long period of time (and I can't see them being much better next year either).

Basically if you get Norf, West Coast and now Richmond next year 2x in the draw you can almost bank a finals spot they are that bad.

With Neale having another big night it seems there will be a good chance either Neale wins his 3rd Brownlow or Cripps wins his second.

Both really good players but neither should be winning that many especially when Bont (and others) don’t have one

Hopefully it's the Bont's year. He has been so good and is more than deserving - the biggest issue for him though is that Treloar will surely steal some votes off him, whilst Cripps, Naicos and Neale really haven't had anyone that would do the same to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the match yesterday I was struck by how disorganised and loose they looked.

Clarkson teams generally always look defensively rigid (some would say too rigid in his last few years at the Hawks) but the Roos played as loose as a country footy seconds team yesterday.

It's really made the last few years out of whack somewhat, the fact that we have had Norf and West Coast being so bad for quite a long period of time (and I can't see them being much better next year either).

Basically if you get Norf, West Coast and now Richmond next year 2x in the draw you can almost bank a finals spot they are that bad.
Bet we get each of those once each, and bet geelong get all 3 twice

Swans with 17 wins
Their two favs for Brownlow
Gulden ($51) and Warner ($81)

Crazy odds
Heeney took a stack of 3 votes early in the season and now ineligible would be the main reason for that I suspect

I watched Clarko's presser after the match. He gave no sense of hope, no excitement for the future. Seemed resigned to the fact that they'll always be bottom dwellers.
North lost a heartbreaker where they gave up 3 quick goals to lose to the Eagles and sulk it up for their last two games and lose them by a combined 220 points.

Compare that to when we lost against Port in similar circumstances in the last minute.

North lost a heartbreaker where they gave up 3 quick goals to lose to the Eagles and sulk it up for their last two games and lose them by a combined 220 points.

Compare that to when we lost against Port in similar circumstances in the last minute.
Personally, it says far more about the resilience of our team than the ineptitude of theirs.

But they were seriously awful yesterday, especially in the last quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back