No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting how, over the last few years, 'irrelevant' has crept in as the AFL's preferred pejorative. Beats simply being crap, apparently.

They've somehow taken a stupid idea from the NRL/Super League and made it even stupider. The name is cringeworthy (granted 'magic round' was a low base to work from) and they have ignored the triple header concept completely and relegated some sides to suburban grounds for no good reason at all.
Remember AFLX?

Teams with losing records shoudn't be able to play in finals each year. Inviting teams 9/10 into the finals picture will do just that most years. Mediocrity shouldn't be rewarded.
Essendon let 9th placed Carlton in one year and that was a shit idea too.

Yes - 7 v 10 and 8 v 9 likely in what's currently the bye week, then the winner of those two games play in the EFs in the first week of finals as per normal.
So couldn't this mean that there's a possibility that teams could face another team 3 times during the H&A (ie. a regular double-up plus round 23) and play most other teams only once?

They've somehow taken a stupid idea from the NRL/Super League and made it even stupider. The name is cringeworthy (granted 'magic round' was a low base to work from) and they have ignored the triple header concept completely and relegated some sides to suburban grounds for no good reason at all.
Well, that's kinda their thing...

I’m wondering if the AFL looked at Adelaide oval averages for some teams before shunting them to Norwood.

Hawthorns average there is quite low, but a run of game in covid there dragged the average down a few thousand

I’m wondering if the AFL looked at Adelaide oval averages for some teams before shunting them to Norwood.

Hawthorns average there is quite low, but a run of game in covid there dragged the average down a few thousand
I don't think they'd be really considering historical numbers. I think it's as simple as neither Hawthorn or GWS are expected to be contenders next year and so there's unlikely to be much interest from neutrals.

I don't think they'd be really considering historical numbers. I think it's as simple as neither Hawthorn or GWS are expected to be contenders next year and so there's unlikely to be much interest from neutrals.

Since AO, seem to be a solid following in sa. It will be one sided support v gws of course

Remember AFLX?

How could I forget!!

AFLX-415x285.jpg

Just look at that beaming smile on Gil's face! Not at a hint of 'what the utter f*** have I done?' there at all!

Since AO, seem to be a solid following in sa. It will be one sided support v gws of course
There has always been a solid following here, but how many GWS supporters do you think would be local? I know of one, which may be a shock to others to know that they have a supporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There has always been a solid following here, but how many GWS supporters do you think would be local? I know of one, which may be a shock to others to know that they have a supporter.

I saw two of them walking home after a game once and said to my mate 'oh wow, look, actual GWS supporters' to which one of them looked at me quite pissed off. Poor thing was probably an AFL employee made to dress up and play the role on GWS game days.

Forget speculating about whether the Wildcard round is brought into the AFL in future seasons, I wouldn't be super surprised if they found a way to shoe-horn it in this season! "It's what the fans want Richo! Boy Oh Boy!"

They should bring in the ability to trade draft picks for premiership points. And multi-ball. And reasonably priced drinks.
Multi-ball!! Now you're speaking my language.

The Apollo 13 pinball machine had a (surprise, surprise) 13 ball multi-ball. 13 footballs would keep everyone, even those who are bored easily, interested. And the commentators! Think of how they could keep us amused with their witty banter & repartee....

They should bring in the ability to trade draft picks for premiership points. And multi-ball. And reasonably priced drinks.
And once a quarter you get to replace one player on the opposition with a cat for 10 minutes, but it can’t be interchanged!

Eight on the bench, but can enter the field through four gates, one each wing and one in a pocket each end. A player can exit the field in back pocket to be replaced by one in the fwd pocket etc etc. electronic tagging governs the interchanges

But they can only enter after solving a puzzle.

The last kick out between the arcs in aflw is a great change, but they could improve it with little posts and a little square flags where the 50 crosses the boundary

Eight on the bench, but can enter the field through four gates, one each wing and one in a pocket each end. A player can exit the field in back pocket to be replaced by one in the fwd pocket etc etc. electronic tagging governs the interchanges
How many volts would a player get zapped with for going on too early?

Last edited:
At night games the players and umpires uniforms, along with the goal posts, field lines and ball are all glow-in-the-dark. Then during time-on of each quarter the stadium lights are all shut off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back