No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

That would be glorious.

I attended the match in the 1960's when Carlton kicked 30.30.210 against us, I think it was the highest score ever kicked at that time. My young brain development was forever molded to hate Carlton, however their decline into irrelevancy over time has cushioned the effect.

I have enjoyed the Geelong and Sydney rivalry in later years, especially the fact we were better than them. I always get a giggle how Geelong supporters try to work out some way they were better than us around the threepeat period.

Essendon, well that's a different matter. Drug addled spawn of the devil......
I also attended that match. (It was my first match ever.) I went home happy because I saw Crimmins kick 2 goals.

It's absolutely a generational thing. The older generation's favourite players would be guys like Matthews, Knights and Hudson, whilst supporters growing up watching us win four flags would have Hodge, Rioli, etc. as theirs. It's the same thing.

I hate Essendon because my dad told me to, and because of the line-in-the-sand game, not because of the 80's. I want to beat Geelong more than any other side because I lived through the rivalry.
My dad bred it into me, as I've done to my son - who deadset despises them now. Moreso than me.

It's absolutely a generational thing. The older generation's favourite players would be guys like Matthews, Knights and Hudson, whilst supporters growing up watching us win four flags would have Hodge, Rioli, etc. as theirs. It's the same thing.

I hate Essendon because my dad told me to, and because of the line-in-the-sand game, not because of the 80's. I want to beat Geelong more than any other side because I lived through the rivalry.

The doping debacle and Essendon supporters’ reaction to it has only fuelled the historical hatred. I hate Geelong but I absolutely ****ing despise the drug pigs (excellent moniker Strapping Young Lad) and love seeing their supporters be miserable.

My dad bred it into me, as I've done to my son - who deadset despises them now. Moreso than me.
Yep. I've bred it into mine. Even the way I say carlton (without a capital letter) has led to their disdain of the club.

Whereas when I say "the cheating drug pigs" they know exactly who it is.

I also attended that match. (It was my first match ever.) I went home happy because I saw Crimmins kick 2 goals.
I used to run around in a number 5 jumper at that time. My father and I loved Crimmins. I can't remember anything specific about the match except the pain.

I used to run around in a number 5 jumper at that time. My father and I loved Crimmins. I can't remember anything specific about the match except the pain.
I remember Crimmins kicked a rover's goal from the goal square. I had been to the toilet, so when I saw that I was jumping up and down, my aunty thought I might have been demoralised, so she told me the scoreboard was wrong and while I was in the toilet Crimmins had kicked ten goals jus like that one. I was 4 not 2, so I didn't believe her and told her she didn't need to patronise me. She turned to a Carlton supporter, whose eyes had gone wide at that ,and sad "What the f**k are you lookin' at?"

I did, and maintain it’s ridiculous that people bother spending time analysing that stuff.

“The likelihood a kick ends up in a scoring chain”. 😂😂😂
If you kick it to space, where a player can run onto it, it is more likely to have a positive impact on the scoreboard than kicking it to a guy facing you who has to stop, turn around and assess options. How difficult is that to understand?

I agree with this and was too young personally to take much from the 80s but I hated Essendon in the 90s and early 00s as them being strong coincided with us being weak and they constantly bullied us before the line in the sand game. I also want to beat Geelong the most but with Geelong it’s largely respect for them and the rivalry rather than the pure hatred I have for Essendon.

If you kick it to space, where a player can run onto it, it is more likely to have a positive impact on the scoreboard than kicking it to a guy facing you who has to stop, turn around and assess options. How difficult is that to understand?
I know what they claim it means, but in reality it’s irrelevant. Otherwise the top 50 ball retention players with high threat ratings would all be top 5 players in their teams.

They’ve listed 8 blokes who have been dropped to the 2s at some stage in 2024.

VanderMeer, Mansell, Answerth, Peatling, Boyd, Stephenson, Jordon & O’Halloran.

It’s a silly stat.

It would be a generational thing. Fans growing up in the 80's would hate Essendon and Carlton the most. The younger generation of Hawks fans would have grown up hating Geelong and Sydney more.
I consider myself old enough to have a reason to hate everyone equally.

It has given me a zen-like peacefulness in a way..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a Hawthorn supporter you hate Essendon. No exceptions we hate them the most. It's them number 1 then followed by the blues who nearly drove us broke paying for Princess Park when we weren't even playing there and then everyone else.

If you need to be reminded why we hate Essendon. Just let me know
This should be stickied to the thread.

Maybe but no other teams coach has accused us of cheating at half time (ironic i know) Which incensed Allan Jean's a former cop. A straight down the line kinda guy. He brought the players together and we went out and flogged them in the second half even though a few were sick. Jeans never spoke to sheedy after that and as any hawthorn supporter will tell u the hatred just grew from there
This still makes me angry.

Not to mention all the other gutless sniping they have done since, from Roger Merrett to Matt Lloyd, they are fuken cheating dogs. It’s not that long ago when Lloyd demolished Sewell, cant believe the younger generations don’t recognise this as far far worse than anything Geelong or Sydney have done to us in recent times.

The doping debacle and Essendon supporters’ reaction to it has only fuelled the historical hatred. I hate Geelong but I absolutely ****ing despise the drug pigs (excellent moniker Strapping Young Lad) and love seeing their supporters be miserable.
Them being embroiled in this country’s biggest doping scandal, getting banned for a year, finishing last and their coach having texts leaked that he hates us “more than anyone”, whilst simultaneously we were winning 3 flags in the exact same period was just pure magic that you couldn’t even dream up.

Having a look at the fixtures we probably want

CARLTON v Geelong
BRISBANE v Port
SYDNEY v Gws
NORTH v Melb
WC v Ess
GC v Freo

Which will keep teams around us and not let them get to far away from us in points.

Last edited:
Why when you listen to Hodge on the radio/tv on Brisbane games, do you get the feeling his played more games for Brisbane then he did for Hawthorn by the way he talks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back