No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the AA team I really don’t give a shit.

I hate the week off

I normally do as well, but this year I don’t for some reason. I want the boys to be cheery ripe after a high pressure month to qualify. And I get a nice Father’s Day lunch and don’t have to be distracted by missing some footy.

RE: AA winners

Get used to Hawthorn having very few despite the strong arguments. The narrative is emerging that Sammy is some sort of football god come to Earth and he personally deserves 98% of the credit for player output. Now Sammy is an exceptional coach, BUT the players still deserve recognition for being as good and effective as they are. But both us and the players will need to get used to the fact that the AFL media is in way over their heads and this closed-door popularity contest setup the AA runs on means it will always be against us.

The truth is Mass was never going to get it. He is basically first year with bugger all hype and frankly his
numbers don’t stack up. Sic is disappointing but his year is not as good as last years.

Hawthorn are playing exceptional team first footy. That is not conducive to individual awards.

I listened to the replay of that interview on Spotify. If she’s not gone from Melbourne within a week, then Melbourne aren’t back in finals for 15 years. They’ll make Essendon look like the rebuild story of the century. I have endured some vapid corporate mishmash in my day, but good golly, that was some grade A garbage. Possibly the worst interview in of any sort since “Please explain.”
"I'm shocked to be sitting here... what spreadsheet?"

I know you're a great defender Harris Andrews, elite in spoils and intercept marks, defensively responsible above all else, and you do a great job at negating some of the toughest matchups in the league.

I was just wondering if you have considered sideways kicks ins and then screaming for the ball back just to kick it 15m forward and then sprint up to that player for the handball receive then bombing it long down the line?

RE: AA winners

Get used to Hawthorn having very few despite the strong arguments. The narrative is emerging that Sammy is some sort of football god come to Earth and he personally deserves 98% of the credit for player output. Now Sammy is an exceptional coach, BUT the players still deserve recognition for being as good and effective as they are. But both us and the players will need to get used to the fact that the AFL media is in way over their heads and this closed-door popularity contest setup the AA runs on means it will always be against us.

So just like the 3peat.
Expect Mitchell to never get coach of the year

I think Sicily not getting it is harsh vs McGovern. The latter may have more disposals / marks etc, but seriously who cares about making him accountable when you have a 100 forward entries anyway as an opposing team.

Mass was never getting in this year and that's just reality. Sheezel and Merrett have more reason to be aggrieved than Massimo right now.

All- Australian is about top 8 midfielders...for everyone else, you need to be the best at your role to guarantee getting in and even that is subjective outside of full forward!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let clubs like Carlton celebrate hard for individual honours. Hawthorn has always made team success as the only goal to claim and celebrate.
In the period from 2007-2015, Geelong had 27 All Australian's and Hawthorn had 17. Hawthorn Obviously won 4 premierships and Geelong won 3.

Anyone want to change anything?

On another note, during Hawthorn's three-eat where they were clearly the dominant team in the AFL, Geelong had 5 AA's and Hawthorn had 7.

Make of that what you will.

View attachment 2096042
Scrim not even in the squad…and our defence is top of the league.
When you also consider that the ball would be in the Eagles defensive end way more than Hawthiorn and McGovern's stats still don't exceed Scrimshaw illustrates what a poor year McGovern has had.

Oh well, we can anaylse and pull apart the data but flogs like Healy wouldn't have a clue.

Cracking year for the rising star .
The two clear best players can't win it .
The guy who does is in his 3rd season .

Watson doesn't get one vote in it .

Very hard to take the award seriously at all
One word.......Cyril

So just like the 3peat.
Expect Mitchell to never get coach of the year

He'll get it this year. It's not an actual coach of the year award; it's the "coach of the team that most exceeded pre-season media expectations" award.

Most sports leagues give coach of the year to the championship coach and only rarely to someone else. You coach the team to the final victory; that's kind of a strong coaching performance check mark. The AFL, though, has made it a "try hard" award. In actuality, the award may be better described as the "greatest media underperformance" award.

When you also consider that the ball would be in the Eagles defensive end way more than Hawthiorn and McGovern's stats still don't exceed Scrimshaw illustrates what a poor year McGovern has had.

Oh well, we can anaylse and pull apart the data but flogs like Healy wouldn't have a clue.
Healy isn’t on the AA selection panel.

McGovern has not had a poor year

He'll get it this year. It's not an actual coach of the year award; it's the "coach of the team that most exceeded pre-season media expectations" award.

Most sports leagues give coach of the year to the championship coach and only rarely to someone else. You coach the team to the final victory; that's kind of a strong coaching performance check mark. The AFL, though, has made it a "try hard" award. In actuality, the award may be better described as the "greatest media underperformance" award.
It’s voted by the 18 senior coaches, not the media

It’s voted by the 18 senior coaches, not the media

I know, but it's the same narrative. The media campaigning reflects the "vibe" of the award. It's always discussed in the context of "Who surprised us the most?" And awarded on that basis as well.

I know, but it's the same narrative. The media campaigning reflects the "vibe" of the award. It's always discussed in the context of "Who surprised us the most?" And awarded on that basis as well.
I can’t imagine AFL coaches would make their choice based on media speculation though

I can’t imagine AFL coaches would make their choice based on media speculation though

Well, I would be hard-pressed to think of a year where the media speculation and the coach vote didn't match. And I'm not saying the media drive the narrative, but that they reflect it. And that narrative is "the team that we expected to do badly but did well instead has the coach of the year."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back