No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't award someone or a team for doing sweet FA in more that 6 of the 23 games played this year.
I don't care what narrative you give me, it is the "everyone gets ribbon" effect, and it’s bull....t
Mate I don’t care for the AA, Brownlow, individual awards. They mean zero to me. No interest. I don’t hand out ribbons either.

I’m just saying that you are wrong to say McGov had a poor year.

& as for Healy, he is prob the worst football commentator but he isn’t an AA selector.

Just read on SEN that Kane Cornes has declared Hawthorn Premiership favourites for 2025 regardless of what happens in the finals this year due to the recruitment of Barras and Battle. All aboard the "Kane Train"
I like Kane but just remember he's the type to make this kind of grand declaration now and then provide commentary next year based on the expectation for us that he has set. If we're not flying and in the top 4 after the first month of H&A season next year then he'll be sticking the boot in.

He's only been so complimentary to us so far because we've exceeded his previous expectations and made him look clever.

When you also consider that the ball would be in the Eagles defensive end way more than Hawthiorn and McGovern's stats still don't exceed Scrimshaw illustrates what a poor year McGovern has had.

Oh well, we can anaylse and pull apart the data but flogs like Healy wouldn't have a clue.
It would be a step too far to say McGovern has had a poor year. He’s still had a really good year it’s just not been AA worthy.

Don’t even bother about pissy little individual awards, our club wins FLAGS…
Sure, but pissy little individual awards are often baked into players contracts and impact the money they receive, their contract lengths as well as sponsorships and partnerships open to them.

Flags are what everyone plays for but individual player recognition is way more important than a lot on here give it credit for.

Sure, but pissy little individual awards are often baked into players contracts and impact the money they receive, their contract lengths as well as sponsorships and partnerships open to them.

Flags are what everyone plays for but individual player recognition is way more important than a lot on here give it credit for.
Even better - Hawks salary cap is not impacted by these stupid popularity contests 👍

Don’t get me wrong.
I’m not against the players wanting/getting individual awards, good on them & I wish all Hawks players well.
I just don’t watch the shows & only skim over the articles on them.

Don’t get me wrong.
I’m not against the players wanting/getting individual awards, good on them & I wish all Hawks players well.
I just don’t watch the shows & only skim over the articles on them.
Oh yeah I don't watch the sideshow but I would like our players to be rewarded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't worry about the contracts, worry about the media narrative.
Remover the various awards from cripps, and the media start calling out the frees he gets. Instead, because he has all these awards, the media say it's up to the opposition to adjust (just like selwood)

Don't worry about the contracts, worry about the media narrative.
Remover the various awards from cripps, and the media start calling out the frees he gets. Instead, because he has all these awards, the media say it's up to the opposition to adjust (just like selwood)
yep - they will keep confirming their biases as long as they can maintain the ratings...

I was just wondering if you have considered sideways kicks ins and then screaming for the ball back just to kick it 15m forward and then sprint up to that player for the handball receive then bombing it long down the line?
Have always wondered why DGB does not do even 50% of that at Box Hill. As a top pick it would be easy to demand the right to buff up his stats sheet + he is a good kick.

As much as I like him, all I see is him pointing where to kick to & not demanding the ball when someone else is taking Kick-ins.

He will fly for marks when the ball is incoming but doesn't seem to want easy kicks/marks.

Unsurprisingly another joke of an all Australian team… it loses credibility more and more each year..
  • Daicos never played wing - absolutely laughable- just put him on the bench and put Whitfield half back and sack Ryan for Massimo
  • Luke Ryan in the team for taking the kick outs and chipping it around the backline all year is bad- and he didn’t do much at all 2nd half of the year
  • Blakey started the year well but fell away big time- very lucky to make it
  • Moore never played forward pocket- is a high half forward and Heeney and Warner are midfielders
  • West coast with two all Australians is woeful
  • McGovern over Andrews is bewildering
  • Waterman had a couple of big games but also fell away big time
  • How the hell does Jeremy Cameron make it- Geelong dick kissed as usual - gets in based off kicking 9 junk goals against a listless west coast in the last game- he was nowhere near it before that
Jeremy Cameron kicked 9 v eagles, 6 v adel and 6 v norf all at the Cat Litter park. Thats a third of his goals against shit opposition at home. Laughable stuff

Jeremy Cameron kicked 9 v eagles, 6 v adel and 6 v norf all at the Cat Litter park. Thats a third of his goals against shit opposition at home. Laughable stuff
Can’t believe more people aren’t talking about how ridiculous the Cameron selection was. He was bog average for most of the season- with a few big games against bad teams in particular 9 goals against a rubbish West Coast side that had thrown the towel in weeks ago…

I always felt Melbourne weren't amazing at actually playing football but were the first team to completely annihilate opponents from stoppages exploiting the 6 6 6 rule. As soon as that stoppage dominance waned they came back to the pack.
They're in big big trouble now. And Clarko and his bestie Todd played an absolute blinder getting Jack Viney another bumper deal, can't believe the dees didn't see that for what it was lol

They had a bucketload of NQR fwds

There is so much more to learn about brain injuries, some of the latest.

The contested science of head injuries in sport

Wendy CarlisleAugust 31, 2024

According to CTE expert and adjunct professor at Swinburne University of Technology Alan Pearce, the AFL prefers to talk about concussion rather than the dangers of repeated head injury. The concussion protocols and head injury assessment (HIA) focus on what he calls the “symptomatology paradigm” – that is, hits that cause concussive symptoms.

“CTE is not caused by concussion. It’s due to exposure of small impacts over many years,” Pearce told a recent corporate fundraiser for the Concussion Legacy Foundation Australia in Melbourne. “Those people diagnosed with CTE had long careers and started contact sports from the age of five ... We’ve had players diagnosed with CTE who have never had a concussion.”

Of more than 100 donor brains analysed at the Australian Sports Brain Bank, 48 have been diagnosed with CTE. They include NRL and rugby union players, AFL players Danny Frawley, Shane Tuck and Graham “Polly” Farmer, and Heather Anderson, the first AFLW player to be diagnosed.

At the corporate fundraiser for the Concussion Legacy Foundation Australia, sitting at table one, were AFL retirees Nathan Murphy and Paddy McCartin.

Murphy, who played for 15 minutes in Collingwood’s grand final win last year before suffering a career-ending hit, is grateful for the AFL’s decision to retire him. “They ended my footy career,” said Murphy, before reframing it: “I mean, they saved my life.”

Nick Maxwell, a former Collingwood captain and All-Australian, said hearing Pearce talk about CTE was a shock. “I was surprised to hear that,” he said, “and I played footy from the age of five.”

So much wrong with this. I would think (hope) not.
View attachment 2097473
Goodluck to them if they can pull that haul off, they'd basically become an expansion side.

They'd be hoping like hell at least half of those draftees become regular seniors otherwise they'll be set back for the best part of five to ten years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back